Trail cameras?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nekvermont

Buckeye
Does anyone have a favorite brand of trail camera that they swear by?
I try to do my research whenever I buy something and find that shopping for a good trail camera can be frustrating. There are hundreds of different brands and there are usually a high percentage of negative reviews about every brand, seems like a crap shoot. I've bought cameras that had better than usual reviews that turned out to not work very good or not even work at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I've been using trail cameras for a long time. I've kept myself limited to (mostly) the more basic cameras, and not too many of the cellular ones.
Why?
Well, I discovered that almost all of them seem to have a limited shelf life so to speak. They work good for a year or 3, then crap out.
Top names,, and lower names.
Yet,, I've also been surprised at how some of the lower end cameras seem to outlast others.
I bought (3) Primos inexpensive cameras about 5 years ago, and they are still doing just fine. They can only take either still pictures or video. Not both at once like many other brands.
Then I've had pretty good luck with Stealth cameras. So far,, they seem to be doing pretty good.
But one type I've been surprised at are the "Muddy" ones. Easy to operate, can do video or stills, and they have survived extended times with constant use.
I enjoyed my Cuddebacks,, but their life span just hasn't been worth the money they charge for them.
I bought my first cellular trail camera for the 2021 season. It died right in the middle of the season, and quit sending pictures. They replaced the camera,, but I haven't even opened that one yet.
But I did decide to try a Muddy cellular one for the upcoming season. I haven't put it out yet,, but in a few months,, when the critters get a bit more active & the horns start appearing,, it'll get put out.

I normally watch the sales at Midway and look at what kind of "deal" they offer.

nekvermont

Buckeye
Well, I've been using trail cameras for a long time. I've kept myself limited to (mostly) the more basic cameras, and not too many of the cellular ones.
Why?
Well, I discovered that almost all of them seem to have a limited shelf life so to speak. They work good for a year or 3, then crap out.
Top names,, and lower names.
Yet,, I've also been surprised at how some of the lower end cameras seem to outlast others.
I bought (3) Primos inexpensive cameras about 5 years ago, and they are still doing just fine. They can only take either still pictures or video. Not both at once like many other brands.
Then I've had pretty good luck with Stealth cameras. So far,, they seem to be doing pretty good.
But one type I've been surprised at are the "Muddy" ones. Easy to operate, can do video or stills, and they have survived extended times with constant use.
I enjoyed my Cuddebacks,, but their life span just hasn't been worth the money they charge for them.
I bought my first cellular trail camera for the 2021 season. It died right in the middle of the season, and quit sending pictures. They replaced the camera,, but I haven't even opened that one yet.
But I did decide to try a Muddy cellular one for the upcoming season. I haven't put it out yet,, but in a few months,, when the critters get a bit more active & the horns start appearing,, it'll get put out.

I normally watch the sales at Midway and look at what kind of "deal" they offer.
Thanks Contender, The more basic the better for me. We don't even have cell service here, so the cellular cams aren't of much use.

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem.
I'm not a "modern computer geek type that likes all the gadgets & features" that many others enjoy. I've found that if I get 3-4 years of serious use out of a camera it's been pretty good. But some of them have been better than that,, AND weren't expensive.
I leave cameras out in some places all year long. Others get placed, used, & removed later.
I keep (2) SD cards for each camera. Makes it easy to swap out a card & review at my leisure.

I don't use/need all the widgetry many cameras include. I have a little dongle that sends card pics to my computer where I can save or delete. As Contender noted, 2 cards per camera (and mark camera location on card) works well enough w/o too much complexity.

contender

Ruger Guru
I number my cameras, and the corresponding SD cards. I also bought a couple of those SD card holder plastic cases. They look like a wallet, and hold 8 SD cards. I number them as box 1 or 2. Box #1 holds SD cards numbers 1-8, while box #2 holds SD cards numbers 9-16.

I've been finding that many electronic items,, especially the ones made overseas, (which is most of them,) have a short life span when it comes to electronics. I have had some well known name brand items,, (range finders, and GPS units,) that crapped out One company, well known for their top quality stuff, gave me a hard time about an item. I was able to take it to the SHOT show, in it's original case, and in like new condition. It had not been used much, nor abused in any way. Yet,, it died. They admitted that many of the electronic items just do not have a long lifespan. I retorted with; "But you have such a stellar reputation, why would you buy stuff KNOWING it would crap out after a few years. Why not demand better quality from your supplier of components?"
They replaced my unit.

So, I don't expect any of the stuff like game cameras to last more than 3-5 years anymore. Especially since I use mine a lot. Hence the reason I don't spend a lot on them.

Sapo

Single-Sixer
Been using the cheapest muddy camera for several years now. I hang them and pull cards, chg batteries until they quit. Hard service being teens/20s in winter to 110* in summer. I've had more expensive units fail in less time. I'll stick with the least expensive units

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I have two made by Moultrie up right now. I bought one at WM and the other at Cabelas. The smaller of the two, it is roughly 5X5 or so takes better pictures and video, and is easier to hide. I put them up after we tore down our old farmhouse and the copper thieves hit us before scrap was hauled off. since then the amount of foot and auto traffic around there now is stunning.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I have MoultrieMobile Edge. No SD card. Sends pictures to my iPhone every 3 hours. Videos and pictures both. Plus, excellent help is a phone call away. These use 16 AA battery's. And they are lasting 6 months.

wolfsong

Staff member
Trail cams are absolutely great for off-season and nighttime scouting. Come opening day nothing beats being in the field yourself, sitting, watching, listening. With opening day comes hunter pressure, and trail cam data becomes skewed. Just my opinion and experience. I no longer spend money and time on trail cams. YMMV...

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I've had several different brands. If I had to name one brand I have the most confidence in, it'd be Browning; but...

FWIW: It is interesting to put two cameras side by side. Enlightening when one captures a lot more than the other.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
They are great for catching trespassers. I have a picture from last weekend. 11:09 pm , a four wheeler , single headlight,, was driving in hayfield. A doe and her baby are in front of camera.

I have been using this Covert cam for 10 years, takes great pics, and simple to set up. Also using Browning cams for 8 years with great results also.

Attachments

• IMAG0351.JPG
    IMAG0351.JPG
    673.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0306.JPG
    IMAG0306.JPG
    673.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0084 (2).jpg
    IMG_0084 (2).jpg