Traditions (Pietta) 1860 Colt Army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I once owned ths gun and traded it off for a rifle about two years ago. The shop never got rid of it (black powder revolvers are pretty much a novelty here in upstate NY). A couple of weeks ago I traded off another gun and got this one back. On New Years day I took it outside with some newly made paper cartridges using Zig-Zag rolling papers, 20 grains of FFFG Triple 7 and a .454 round ball. I also ried some loose rounds with some wonder wads for the heck of it. Everything done from 15 yards offhand duelist style.
Picture646.jpg

Picture655.jpg

Picture656.jpg

Picture654.jpg

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I take the rolling paper and a 3/8 inch wooden dowel, get an Elmer's glue stick and glue the edge of one side, and roll the paper up kind of like a cigarette. Then I take a round ball and place it on the flat edge of the dowel and pull the paper up around it. After the paper is about 3/4 inch up I twist the end shut, I nip the tail off with scissors or nail clippers. Then I slide the dowel out, pour the charge in the open end, and cut off the paper about 3/4 above the charge. Then I cut halfway into the paper cylinder, then cut down from above so that it leaves me a little flap. I take the glue stick and glue that flap over, that way there is only a single thickness of paper for the cap to burn through.

pete44ru

Hunter
Nice, David.

Mine's got a shorter barrel, and uses .457" Speer commercial RB's - but it's plenty of fun, for sure 1

th_44Army.jpg

th_PistolStand.jpg

gunman42782

Hunter
Yours sure looks nice. I love those old cap and ball revolvers. Loads of fun. It is like reloading and shooting combined in one!