Trading firearms with a guy out of state...need advice.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enduropro

Bearcat
Hi all, first off MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Has anyone here ever traded firearms with someone from out of state? I need advice.

I'm trading one of my pistols for a rifle from a guy in Mississippi. Even swap. We looked over pictures, etc and spoke several times over the phone.

We will both go to local FFL places and ship them. But how do I know if he's really going to live up to his end of the bargain? I was thinking I'd have the FFL contact me to confirm that they have possession and it's being delivered. I was also thinking about emailing the trader a contract that I draft up wich confirms our agreement.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I would think it should be like every other deal done over the internet.
If someone has a gun for sale then the money is sent before the gun is shipped.
So if someone has a gun for sale or trade and someone else responds to it ,
then the person that responded sends their gun first and after it has been received then the selling party sends their gun.
If it is not a reputable board or you have your doubts then don't do it.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
If both of you agree to ship with tracking numbers, and the receiving FFL will hold until both parties are happy after the inspection. Only then will the transfer take place. If either party is not cool, both arms are to be returned.

5.7MAN

Bearcat
I did this a while back we agreed on a shipping and sent them on the same day. If I had felt uneasy at all I would not have done it. I spoke with the other fellow on the phone as well.

I can say that 100% of my firearm and related transactions have been top drawer as far communication, prompt payment or shippment.

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
Same here, I traded guns several times now with people. Best suggestion I can give is to talk person to person on the phone and also check to see how long that guy has been on the forum you visit. I've been pleased with everyone I have worked with over the years and would do it again without hesitation.

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Swap driver's licenses. That way, there is accountability and a means track the other party down if something goes bad

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
I guess you have to trust in your fellow man to some extent. Ive spent a few sleepless nights over both trades and sales. Anymore i try to deal local and it takes a pretty exceptional deal to sway me from it. Id rather sell my gun for a 100 bucks less or pay a 100 bucks more the worry about a deal. By the time you pay shipping and insurance you about break even anyway.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've traded several and all, so far, have been good transactions. I just sent them and trusted the other fellow to come thru. I think after a recent sale that didn't go real well, and a purchase on gun broker where the gun was badly misrepresented ( I returned the firearm as agreed on the phone, fellow wouldn't send my money back, took six months to get the gun back, GB was no help, credit card company won't involve in gun transactions, I paid shipping three ways, I wound up with a gun that needed work, wasn't as listed, and needed to go to a gunsmith before I could shoot it, I lost hundreds of dollars on this one). I lean more to straight sales. Usually most of my sales have been on forums where the buyer is also a common poster. It's all about trust, kind of tough when you are dealing on the anonymous internet.
Bfly

waterwolf42

Bearcat
You need to check with the FFL'S that are doing the trades for you as some states you can trade long gun for long gun but not pistol for long gun depending on the reciprocal agreement between the two states, sometimes legally you can't do it, but the FFL dealers should know.

fyimo

Bearcat
Well in Arkansas if you trade with somone in another state it is treated as a sale and both guns need to go through an FFL in each state and be registered. The problem is some states have restrictions on certain guns and you need to make sure the guns are legal in both the states they are going to. An example would be Califorina that a gun has to be on an approved list in the state in order for it to come in from out of state. That's why a lot of poeple and dealers won't sell to that state.