TRADE New Vaquero Ejector Rod for Blackhawk Rod?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
I've decided to turn a stainless .45 Bisley into a shorty like the Lipsey's .44 model 0818, but with a 4.0" instead of a 3.75" barrel, and I think I'd like the Colt style ejector rod off a New Vaquero for it. Would anybody like to trade their New Vaquero rod for my Blackhawk rod :?: If so just shoot me a PM and we'll just swap :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I like 4" barrels and your project!

Sorry I don't have a trade, I only have 3 3/4" New Vaqueros that came with Blackhawk rods. And you may have noticed Ruger's Colt style is a little skimpy.

But if I may offer a suggestion; a Colt rod is my preference that you may want to consider.
A Blue Colt rod and head assembly (they are threaded together, not riveted/peened like Ruger), but Colt does not make it in stainless.
orig.jpg

However Brownells also sells a Colt style by MK Technologies, and they do offer it in stainless, Brownells #737-400-101AK, $39.99.

orig.jpg

I grind and polish a 'cam' curve in the end of the Colt head as shown below. The curve must 'nest' or align with the curve of the housing attachment screw when the head is up tight against the barrel in a Ruger straight slot housing. The curved surface of the end of the rod contacts the screw under tension of the return spring it will "nest" on the screw which will "cam" or turn the rod and head tight up against the barrel.

orig.jpg

Be sure and show us your completed project.

gunsbam69

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
I like 4" barrels and your project!

Sorry I don't have a trade, I only have 3 3/4" New Vaqueros that came with Blackhawk rods. And you may have noticed Ruger's Colt style is a little skimpy.

But if I may offer a suggestion; a Colt rod is my preference that you may want to consider.
A Blue Colt rod and head assembly (they are threaded together, not riveted/peened like Ruger), but Colt does not make it in stainless.
orig.jpg

However Brownells also sells a Colt style by MK Technologies, and they do offer it in stainless, Brownells #737-400-101AK, $39.99.

orig.jpg

I grind and polish a 'cam' curve in the end of the Colt head as shown below. The curve must 'nest' or align with the curve of the housing attachment screw when the head is up tight against the barrel in a Ruger straight slot housing. The curved surface of the end of the rod contacts the screw under tension of the return spring it will "nest" on the screw which will "cam" or turn the rod and head tight up against the barrel.

orig.jpg

Be sure and show us your completed project.

Not to worry. I'll be a showin her :D One more time before I call the parts dept :?: