Tracking down a revolver I sold long ago

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Has anyone ever sold a gun they later regretted selling? I had that experience nine years ago and wondered if anyone here ended up as the eventual owner (since the guy I sold it to quickly sold it to someone else)? This was a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley (blued) 44Mag with 4.75" barrel. Here's an old photo I took back then:

contender

Ruger Guru
I have heard of guns returning to someone who regretted selling it eventually. Just recently there was a story about one either here or on another Forum.

gunzo

Hunter
If not sentimental value, you could pick up a Bisley & have it cut & be using it for years while looking for the old one.

Or have another done up, & with dumb luck, just as soon as it's finished the original shows up. Isn't that still a win?

gunzo said:
If not sentimental value, you could pick up a Bisley & have it cut & be using it for years while looking for the old one.

Or have another done up, & with dumb luck, just as soon as it's finished the original shows up. Isn't that still a win?

That's not a bad idea except typical custom work would take a year or two, unless you know someone that could do excellent cutting and bluing and new front sight in short order. My local gunsmith does a great job on small stuff, but doesn't cut and recrown or reblue.

gunzo

Hunter
I hear ya seasterl, but a cut, solder, & blue doesn't usually require the big name smiths with a long backlog. Waiting on a Bowen rear sight might be the hold up.

But just a thought, put a lot of stuff off over the years, I'm Monday morning quarterbacking now. Good luck on your search.

DHD

Single-Sixer
ncvikingfan said:
What is this "sold a gun" thing that you speak of?

I've heard of it. I think it has something to do with Bigfoot and ex wives you wished you hadn't divorced.

I found the easiest way to get Bowen rear sights is to order an extra and forget you ordered it. I've got a Flattop version ordered whenever I ordered it. It will get here and I'll be surprised because I forgot. That reminds me that I might want to order another one because I don't need one yet. Now I get into the "I have this part but don't have the gun for it" scenario.

Seastrel, even though I wasn't really joking in my last paragraph, was it that specific revolver or would one built like it suffice? For me the journey can be almost as fun as the arrival.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Traded an S&W 45 ACP Mountain Gun for a Bisley 45 convertible. Love my Bisely but sure miss that Mt gun.

DHD said:
ncvikingfan said:
What is this "sold a gun" thing that you speak of?

I found the easiest way to get Bowen rear sights is to order an extra and forget you ordered it...
Seastrel, even though I wasn't really joking in my last paragraph, was it that specific revolver or would one built like it suffice? For me the journey can be almost as fun as the arrival.

Funny thing,... I once bought a Bowen rear sight for a gun I plan to purchase in the future but hadn't bought it at the time. I think the longest I waited on a Bowen rear sight was about 1.5 years.

The revolver in question above was a cut-down and customized one that John Linebaugh did for me. He did a couple guns for me over the years, and I've talked to him for hours over the course of time. He's a super-cool guy! I had taken the Super Blackhawk pictured above to show my Dad years ago, and he and I had a great time shooting. Like many guns, I had sold off for one reason or another. Some sales were great decisions and others were not so great.
Years later, my Dad passed away and I was looking back on some old pictures and noticed he enjoyed shooting that Linebaugh 44. I had white plastic grips on it at the time of shooting, but it's the one my Dad's holding in the photo below. I guess I was just missing my Dad and the countless times I went shooting with him and then wondered why I sold the gun. (I sold it years before he passed away, but in hindsight, probably should have kept it.)

gunzo

Hunter
The plot thickens.

Linebaugh cut it for you, Your dad enjoyed it & it brings back memories of him.

Yeah, I'd be on the hunt for it as well. I'll keep an eye out for it.