Touching up wood

Help Support Ruger Forum:

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Non Ruger, sorry but been on here of and on figure would be the best place for an honest answer. I have a 1977 Whinchester 1894 30-30 that is in awesome shape. Got one deep dent in the fore stock I steamed and filled in with walnut dust and clear epoxy. Ended up with a quarter size area that cleaned up and removed the finish. It is lighter than the finish and walnut stain, nor linseed oil will make it any darker. All my research says this is walnut so what did they put on it at Winchester? Rather fix this and not refinish entire stock.
20220102_121721.jpg
20221108_203844.jpg
20221108_203844.jpg

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Time for the artistic touch. First take a pin like tool and make some scratches in the patch that match the grain pores in the rest of the stock. Then take an artist brush and paint on a Min Wax oil stain that is the right color a layer at the time letting it dry in-between coats until the color is the right depth. Then put some finish over the stain. You have to sorta dry brush the stain since the stain dissolves itself in multiple coats.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
If you cannot get deep enough color with the stain then it is probably time to try to find a friend that does oil painting. Or try a tube of pigment yourself. Expensive though for just a drop.

catfish621

Single-Sixer
Did you put linseed oil on it? If so the stain can't penetrate. Also might not penetrate the epoxy. You can try lightly sanding off the oil and then finding a stain that matches.