Top Three Reasons Not To Carry A Revolver...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lolbell

Single-Sixer
lolbell said:
None of my revolvers have ever failed to fire when called upon, All of my autos have failed to fire at some point.

"Personal Preference" The above quote is one of the "why I carry a revolver". Didn't say revolvers didn't fail, said none of mine have, and I have quite a few.

I also drive a Dodge Ram because one has never left me on the side of the road. It might the next time I get in it, but none have so far. I've been stranded in both Fords and Chevrolets. "Personal Preference from Personal Experience"

I think a body should carry what they are comfortable with through their personal experience. JMHO

RSIno1

Hunter
Guess I'll have to put my S&W 642 to rest and start carrying my Glock 26 oops that's only 10 rounds. Better grab my Glock 19 or 17 but I live in CA so those are limited to 10 rounds too. Oh well guess I can't defend myself in CA.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Wow. Just wow. Words fail me on how out of touch with reality that list is, and I routinely carry 9mm & 357Sig autos.

pisgah

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
This "you must carry this or that" nonsense just needs to die. Carry what you can shoot well and have confidence in, everything else is trivial.

Yes, it's like the perennial, hackneyed old "9MM or .45 ACP?" article that has appeared in gun magazines for 40 years -- it triggers rabid responses (and sells magazines), when in fact it should just be read, chuckled over, and then ignored.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Hmmm... I have a nice old Security-Six with a 4 inch barrel. It handles stout .357 magnum loads with ease. I've always thought that gun would be pretty darn effective for defending myself. So... now I find out I'm basically unarmed and helpless if that's all I have at my disposal? That's distressing.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
2. I have , and do practice revolver reloads . I do personally know people who have performed multiple speedloads In a Gunfight .

3 . Yes , there is a learning curve to DA revolver triggers . ( Even bigger learning curve to DA/SA semiautos , but long ago have that worked out also.) But once you have mastered the DA revolver trigger , it is more accurate than most semiautos .

And finally #1 - If I'm not feeling comfortable with revolver, and two reloads , I'll carry two Revolvers .

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Writing articles about guns (and trying to pay the bills that way) must get pretty frustrating... and boring if truth be told.

I only know from experience - wife#1 once leveled a revolver across the porch at a miscreant. The responding officer noted the offender recalled the style and color of the HP bullets facing him perfectly. So there's that factor...

Carrying a revolver means you can take your empties with you. 8)

I recently watched one of those murder mystery shows, and a lady had been shot twice, and they were able to find the expired bullets, (but not any cases) and the assumption was that she was shot by two different guns and probably two different people. I told the wife right off that she was shot with the same gun and the shooter just put different bullets in the revolver. Later in the show after they had worked on that premise for most of the show, the NCIS told them, that it was the same revolver for both bullets. Not a mystery to begin with in my mind. But there is a lot of ignorance out there about revolvers.

Any firearm can and will fail under the right or wrong circumstances. Fail to fire, fail to get the next round into battery, jam, or break. Either type will be harder to reload or get back into shooting it during a gun fight. Because all fine motor skills get harder to do or will not work at all under high stress. Fine motor skills are things like making your fingers preform a task. Only lots of practice might over come that problem. Some are better than others. The 3 round, 3 yard, 3 second rule is a police number and is or was a average number, (I believe the round count is now 4.x?) not the normal gun fight that is done by non police. That number I have never seen in print.
I shoot and carry both or either revolvers and semi autos on and off duty. Yes, I have carried a revolver as the service gun and the backup a semi and a semi as service and backup a revolver. Practice, practice and do more practice with what you carry. I am not sure that I will say a revolver is better or easier than a semi to train or shoot or the reverse. I have trained new and seasoned shooters with both. If you list THE revolver by brand, model, caliber or THE semi by brand, model, caliber. Then we can discuss the good and bad points of training and shooting that gun. This post is fun just to toss around your personal thoughts but, will not answer any question or prove much, just lots of opinions. Some good, some bad.

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
I am old fashion (73) and carried revolvers for years.. Love them, and they almost never ever jamb..simple..straight forward..and if you actually shoot it enough to be good with it, will do just fine !!
However, I have to confess that in the last few years I mostly carry a small compact .380 auto...fits into my pocket perfectly, has no hammer to catch on clothing or jacket pockets, and yes, with one extra mag. can be reloaded very quickly....
I also have a small .357 revolver that I carry in a shoulder holster...
Point of my post...
Can't really recommend one over the other...although I am not a fan of large mags. My personal opinion and training have taught me that if you have to fire, do it backing up and get the devil out of there......If it takes more than that amount of bullets, you are in deep trouble .. Of course... JMHO

Years ago it was stated that civilian gunfights took place in 2.7 second at 2.5 feet, with an average of 2.5 shot fired. Reportedly FBI statistics that I cannot find to verify. I did find this on gun fighting per Mas Ayoob:https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/10/5-gunfighting-myths-debunked-massad-ayoob/
Enjoy
gramps

Conservative

Blackhawk
My Ruger SP101 failed once, though is was the ammo.

They were reloads for practice and for one of the cases had swollen up some disallowing the cylinder to turn.

My guess would be this situation is less likely to happen with factory loads, but not impossible either.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
It is, in my humble opinion, a matter of preference. I carry a Glock 357 Sig for my EDC. I live in bear and moose country. I grew up with SA revolvers. In the woods I carry an OM Blackhawk in 45 Colt (VERY stiff Ruger Only loads), a custom Super BH in 454 Casull, or my Glock 20 in 10mm. My reasoning is that, if I need the stopping power for an animal, I am unlikely to get more than 1 (or 2 at the most) shots. This is based on experience with bears while working on my MS Thesis. The 10mm is considered by the Sirius Dogsled Patrols as sufficient for polar bears and musk oxen.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Hmmm... I have a nice old Security-Six with a 4 inch barrel. It handles stout .357 magnum loads with ease. I've always thought that gun would be pretty darn effective for defending myself. So... now I find out I'm basically unarmed and helpless if that's all I have at my disposal? That's distressing.
LOL, if you can hit with it, you are well armed IMHO!