Top Three Reasons Not To Carry A Revolver...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/02/robert-farago/top-three-reasons-not-to-carry-a-revolver/
Here's one guys opinion. Worth consideration. Not sure if this is the right place for this, feel free to move it.

I occasionally carry a Smith & Wesson 686 revolver (not shown) loaded with 135 gr. Hornady Critical Duty .357 Magnum cartridges. The Smith's a heavy old thing that delivers a significant punch. And it looks so good. In fact, I reckon a 686 with a 4″ barrel is the quintessential handgun. But there are good reasons not to carry a 686 or any other revolver . . .

1. Revolvers don't hold enough rounds

Perceived wisdom says most gunfights are a three-fer: three yards, three seconds, three rounds. If that held true for every defensive gun use, a five-shot snub-nosed revolver would be perfectly adequate for armed self-defense. In fact, you'd end up with two extra rounds!

Well, there's no trustworthy data supporting the 3/3/3 assertion. And even if we accept this ballistic shibboleth, are you ready to bet your life that your gunfight will be like "most" gunfights? 'Cause most revolvers hold six rounds. Given the chances of missing and/or encountering multiple attackers, that's not a lot of ammo.

A proper semi-automatic handgun carries at least 12 rounds. What do I mean by proper semi-automatic handgun? A semi-automatic handgun that carries at least 12 rounds. My math skills are virtually non-existent, but I reckon that's double the capacity of a six-shooter.

Now it's true that many gun owners schlep diminutive semi-automatic firearms that stow seven rounds (six plus one in the chamber). And some states curtail residents' gun rights by limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds. That's not a whole lot of extra capacity. But . . .

2. You can't reload a revolver

What? Sure you can! You can carry a speed loader and reload your revolver with another five or six rounds (count 'em, five or six). Or can you? As the Rabbi reminds us, the definition of an optimist is a revolver owner with a speedloader — 'cause it sure ain't an easy thing to do when you're under fire.

Not easy unless your name is Massad Ayoob and/or you're willing to train hard at the skill of fast revolver reloading. And assuming you're willing to carry the extra ammo. If you are, you'd be better advised to carry a semi-automatic pistol. The semi's ammunition magazines are slimmer. While initially complicated and daunting, the reloading process is easier and thus faster. Much faster.

Is it the difference between life and death? It could be. Why take that risk? Especially when . . .

3. Revolver triggers are difficult to master

Controlling a revolver's double-action trigger is not an impossible skill to master. In fact, learning to do so makes the wheelgun's double-action trigger an excellent reason to own and practice with a revolver. If you can control a heavy double-action trigger — and they're all heavy — a semi-automatic's trigger will be a doddle
While I'm at it, many people consider the revolver's heavy double-action trigger an ideal safety feature. You shouldn't, but you can rest your finger on the trigger without torching-off a round. As, unfortunately, many people do.

But when all's said and done, the semi's trigger is lighter and easier to control than a revolver's. As your trigger press is one of, if not the most important variable when it comes to accuracy, more people are more accurate with a semi-automatic handgun than a revolver.

That said, many/most revolvers have an external hammer. You can cock the hammer and fire the gun in single-action — which gives you just as light a trigger press as a semi-automatic.

If you're willing to master the revolver's double-action trigger or fire it in single action mode when push comes to shove . . . you still face the issues of capacity and reloading efficiency.

As always, any gun is better than no gun. If you like your revolver, keep your revolver! But if you do carry a revolver, practice the trigger press ad infinitum (dry firing does your gun no harm) and carry spare ammo.

44Alaskan

Bearcat
The compact .45 ACP semi-auto I want is 7+1. I can't justify the purchase when my 44 magnum holds 6 and can be loaded with 44 special for self-defense. With a lower weight trigger and hammer spring kit plus shims where needed, a smooth trigger pull in double action was obtained on my revolver. I had a Glock 41 that was 13+1 but the length of the full size grip was not optimum for conceal carry. At the range with the Glock 41 I quickly realized how long it took to fire 14 rounds and did not foresee myself firing that many rounds in a self-defense situation. The average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is 2.

Yep, and he probably never has heard of or seen Jerry Miculec shoot and reload a revolver. Yes, he is an exception but then so is every type of situation where you need a gun for protection. Pros and cons for both, and it boils down to practice practice practice.

pisgah

Buckeye
Although probably 50% of the posts I read in various gun forums are bunk, I have to say this article is one of the biggest loads of bunk I've seen yet.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I've read countless articles on how anyone who carries a revolver is doomed to die in a self defense situation. I guess I'm one of the doomed ones. I know what I can do with a revolver, but better yet I know what a can not do with a bottom feeder.

If my math is correct 90% hits with a 7 shot revolver is better than 50% hits with an 8 shot auto. I know, train more with the auto. I'm nearly 58 years old and have been shooting revolvers for 45 of those 58 years. That new trick and old dog thing kicked in a while back.

Bottom line is a fellow needs to carry what he's comfortable with and ignore all of the gun experts that seem to know more about you than, well, you do.

None of my revolvers have ever failed to fire when called upon, All of my autos have failed to fire at some point.

57springer

Buckeye
lolbell said:
I've read countless articles on how anyone who carries a revolver is doomed to die in a self defense situation. I guess I'm one of the doomed ones. I know what I can do with a revolver, but better yet I know what a can not do with a bottom feeder.

If my math is correct 90% hits with a 7 shot revolver is better than 50% hits with an 8 shot auto. I know, train more with the auto. I'm nearly 58 years old and have been shooting revolvers for 45 of those 58 years. That new trick and old dog thing kicked in a while back.

Bottom line is a fellow needs to carry what he's comfortable with and ignore all of the gun experts that seem to know more about you than, well, you do.

None of my revolvers have ever failed to fire when called upon, All of my autos have failed to fire at some point.
Well written ^^^^ . Revolver for me too ! :wink:

Number 3 is all that matters, the guy who wrote this trolling article evidently doesn't posses the finger strength of my wife. I can picture the author using both hands and two fingers trying to pull the trigger on her .22LCR, dropping to his knees while crying like a petulant child that it's too hard.

57springer

Buckeye
Captain America said:
Number 3 is all that matters, the guy who wrote this trolling article evidently doesn't posses the finger strength of my wife. I can picture the author using both hands and two fingers trying to pull the trigger on her .22LCR, dropping to his knees while crying like a petulant child that it's too hard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cowpoke22

Bearcat
Yeah, and if, in the not real likely, but possiable situation, you have a dud round in the semi, you gotta rack the slide to get a fresh round, the wheel gun, just pull the trigger, a new round is coming around. No wait, no hassle. IMHO.
CP22

Most of my years I've carried a revolver of some sort myself, to make it worse, most of them were 5 shooters. Various brands and models, for a long time it was an S&W 642 until I switched over to the LCR. Gotta say things have changed in this country, and not for the better. Finally came to the conclusion, more is better and went to a bottom feeder for most carry although I do slip in a revolver once in a while. The last time was, yesterday.

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:
I think I'll ignore advice from anyone who uses words like shibboleth and schlep.

I think the writer was Hebrew and the injection of these words points towards English not being their primary language. He also mentions "Rabbi" which is a further clue.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
OK, decent thoughts. Here are a few of mine:

4. But you don't need to master the revolver's double action trigger. You just need to pull it.
5. The magazine won't accidentally fall out of your revolver and render it useless.
6. Your revolver won't fail to feed.
7. If your revolver fails to fire, pull the trigger again.
8. If one revolver isn't enough, carry two.
9. If you think you need to take on the Taliban, don't use a revolver ... or an auto. Choose your company more carefully.

In the end, carry what best suits your experience, skill and situation. And, remember, the battle most nobley won is the battle never fought.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I Carried a Colt GM for 45 years. I also carried a Ruger Security Six. I never felt undergunned. Now, depending on the situation, I'll have my Glock 19, my Lc9s pro, or my Smith & Wesson 19-4. I still don't feel undergunned.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Hilarious.

Bear Paw Jack, the OP, 12,000 posts
He put it in the REVOLVER section. Does that tell you anything?

44Alaskan

Bearcat
I do no not have the stats, but I am confident accidental discharges while holstering and unholstering are higher with the semi-auto, especially the models with no manual safety. I like the hammer fired double action/single action design on semi-autos, safer.