Took delivery of my new GP100 4" SS and LOVE it...!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
Yesterday I picked up my new gun (decided to accept the dealer's offer of a SS model for the same price as the blued I'd ordered), and I LOVE everything about it! The satin SS finish is MUCH nicer than I'd hoped (I was afraid it would have a blingy nickeled look), and am actually thinking of buying another one for my wife (his & hers).
The best part is its "out of the box" accuracy, because even though I'm a total newbie (only shot three other times so far- maybe 30 bullets total with three different guns), I set the target at 21 feet and fired 17 rounds right into the bull's eye and #18 just missed the edge of the 10-ring. Every single shot landed within a 3 inch diameter, and all were fired using the full double action trigger pull.
Now I'm sure this will change drastically when the target is moved further away, but since I bought it for home defense, it's nice to know that this gun is so accurate that I can hit a small target so easily at 21 feet.

I absolutely LOVE this gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TBxd

Bearcat
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! I don't think you'll be sorry you bought the stainless. :)

I have had mine for many years. It is one of my favorite revolvers and is what I keep loaded here at the house as well as what I carry when out camping, hunting, fishing. The SS is ideal for that.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
That satin has a certain draw to it doesn't it Hyp-storian.

Like Wendy said, it is a very useful weapon. The SS is a low-maintenance weapon. Not a no maintenance weapon, but low maintenance.

If I had to have one weapon a 4" SS .357 would be it. It is the handgun I started with as a kid and will be my best pal in my later years.

LTB45

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum Hyp-storian.

My SS GP 100 4" is my first Ruger and my door to this Great Forum.
I absolutely love this gun, it is accurate and very tough! It will be a life long keeper. Good luck with yours and if I can suggest a great holster for it, Check out this thread with pics.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight=

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
StanMemTn":3apt3cbp said:
Congrats and welcome to the Forum!

-Stephen

Thanks for the congrats and welcome Stephen & TBxd- I really couldn't be happier with this gun, and look forward to hearing helpful tips from the folks on this forum!

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
WendyZXZ":2n1dqxnj said:
I have had mine for many years. It is one of my favorite revolvers and is what I keep loaded here at the house as well as what I carry when out camping, hunting, fishing. The SS is ideal for that.

Hi Wendy,

I only hope that my wife will also grow to love as much as you do.
We're both newbies, and though I loved shooting at the range from the first moment I tried it, she flinched a lot and HATED the kaBOOM!
And that's with .38 special ammo- I wouldn't want to give her a heart attack by loading it with .357 rounds...LOL

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
wixedmords":2jwz4r8r said:
That satin has a certain draw to it doesn't it Hyp-storian.

Like Wendy said, it is a very useful weapon. The SS is a low-maintenance weapon. Not a no maintenance weapon, but low maintenance.

If I had to have one weapon a 4" SS .357 would be it. It is the handgun I started with as a kid and will be my best pal in my later years.

I love the satin finish, and only wanted the blued because I thought that the SS would be blingy shiny like nickled or chromed.
The shop was out of cleaning kits, but they should be back in stock this coming week, and of course I'll be taking very good care of it!

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
LTB45":3jbpg0o7 said:
Welcome to the Forum Hyp-storian.

My SS GP 100 4" is my first Ruger and my door to this Great Forum.
I absolutely love this gun, it is accurate and very tough! It will be a life long keeper. Good luck with yours and if I can suggest a great holster for it, Check out this thread with pics.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight=

Thanks for the welcome, and I absolutely LOVE this gun too!!!
It's more accurate than I dared hope, and since I'll only be taking it to the range and keeping it here at home for intruders, it'll almost certainly outlast ME and be passed down to my daughter (who LOVED shooting it too yesterday!).

I can't get a CCW here in New Joisey, so I don't need a holster (required to transport it in its case, unloaded, in the trunk of a car).

Crashbox

Bearcat
Congratulations on your purchase, Hyp-storian, and welcome also.

I also purchased the identical wheelgun about two weeks ago, the satin SS finish is indeed very nice. And they are built like tanks!!!!! The only real issue I've had is in removing the trigger guard assembly- the plunger which holds it would not budge without an awful lot of pressure on it (but it's better now)...

Again, congrats. You've purchased one very fine revolver.

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
Crashbox":323ph3ui said:

I also purchased the identical wheelgun about two weeks ago, the satin SS finish is indeed very nice. And they are built like tanks!!!!! The only real issue I've had is in removing the trigger guard assembly- the plunger which holds it would not budge without an awful lot of pressure on it (but it's better now)...

Thanks crashbox- I truly couldn't be happier with it (well, if it had a front sight that I could see in the dark I'd be a bit happier- but I saw there are several aftermarket options to replace it, and the gunstore owner even advised painting a bright dot on it with nailpolish or model paint).

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
Stoots":1oxjtlql said:
Congrats Hyp, and welcome!

Get yourself some 'Lead Away' cloth.

:wink:

Thanks Stoots, and I'll put that "Lead Away" cloth on my "must buy" list!

JBL13

Bearcat
I echo what's been said.

In honor of this thread, I ditched my normal carry gun (XD-45 Compact) earlier today in favor of my 4" SS GP. :)

LTB45

Bearcat
Hyp-storian":1vum4g0e said:
Crashbox":1vum4g0e said:

Thanks crashbox- I truly couldn't be happier with it (well, if it had a front sight that I could see in the dark I'd be a bit happier- but I saw there are several aftermarket options to replace it, and the gunstore owner even advised painting a bright dot on it with nailpolish or model paint).

Replacement of that front sight couldnt be easier!! 2 second job!!! You just gotta LOVE the GP 100!!!!

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
LTB45":2xpbwmk9 said:
Hyp-storian":2xpbwmk9 said:
Crashbox":2xpbwmk9 said:

Replacement of that front sight couldnt be easier!! 2 second job!!! You just gotta LOVE the GP 100!!!!

Yeah, it DOES look pretty easy- even for someone with two "left" hands like me. LOL
I've seen several different types of aftermarket front sights being sold online
and will review the various options before ordering one.
Also, the gunshop recommended simply painting on a dot of bright nail polish or model paint as the simplest solution.
Anyone have comments about that (pro or con)...?

LTB45

Bearcat
I put a Millet white sight on mine. It is fine for the range. However in very low light situations like HD I would not recommend it.

I would go this way for HD......HiViz Fiber Optic Front Sight

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
LTB45":uxp4kiu5 said:
I put a Millet white sight on mine. It is fine for the range. However in very low light situations like HD I would not recommend it.

I would go this way for HD......HiViz Fiber Optic Front Sight

Thanks for the tip- I'll certainly look into it.
As for HD, in my particular case it would be necessary for aiming at the doorway to a DARK (almost completely dark!) bedroom, so I'm not sure if the HiViz would actually be effective enough under those conditions.
On the other hand, seeing as how the doorway is only about 5 feet away from my bed, it would be pretty darn hard to miss anyone at that range- even with the standard front sight!
The laser is too expensive considering there's only an extremely slim chance I'll ever need to use it (it's actually still very safe where I live), and the factory Hogue grip fits me like a glove so I'm not crazy about having to swap it out for the laser grip- which might not fit my hand as well...

Hyp-storian":3lule58j said:
WendyZXZ":3lule58j said:

Hi Wendy,

I only hope that my wife will also grow to love as much as you do.
We're both newbies, and though I loved shooting at the range from the first moment I tried it, she flinched a lot and HATED the kaBOOM!
And that's with .38 special ammo- I wouldn't want to give her a heart attack by loading it with .357 rounds...LOL

I am a typical Texas country gal. I was shooting by the time I was 5 or 6. 5 for shooting with a BB/pellet gun and 6 for a .22 LR.