Too many handguns?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scorpion

Bearcat
Everytime I buy a handgun I tell myself it will be the last one and that I won't buy any more. I go for a while and then think of a gun that I "just have to have." Am I the only one with this problem? I have some guns that I haven't even fired yet. It's getting hard to keep my wife from finding out. Seems I will have this affliction until the day I cash in.

P.S. While typing this I just thought of another gun that I'm surprised I've gone this long without.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I started with a GP100 because my house had been broken into three times. I went to a range to learn about gun safety and how to shoot properly. I now own 10 handguns and I,m waiting for #11 to get out of CA. handgun jail. I have found that this is a hobby I really enjoy and having a variety of guns keeps it interesting, Dusterman

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I have a similar issue. But normally I justify it by selling one.
Buy one, sell one.
Honestly I have lost track of how many I have bought, somewhere
between 50-100 I would think.
I have less than 10 now.
I think that is reasonable and not excessive.

96/44

Blackhawk
If you compare the value of your guns vs. when you bought them, to your 401k returns, you will probably find out the guns have been a better investment. Sounds like sound financial planning to me. :lol:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Buying pistols and rifles is no different from buying anything else you have an interest in: sometimes you buy them, they don't live up to your expectations and you sell them right away. Sometimes when you purchase something it makes you want to have something a little different. Sometimes you become interested in the history of a particular kind of thing and then want as many examples of that thing as you can find. Occasionally you buy one and you want to buy another because it works so well. It could be that you have the discretionary money to spend and can buy two or three, or maybe you just have enough money to buy one and learn to use it well. Then there are other times that you buy one and find that there are so many other people interested in it that you develop more of an interest in it than you had at the beginning. There are also situations where you just buy one because you pick the perfect one and keep it in the safe and never use it for any reason.

A lot of times, you buy them because you have a very good reason to own one, as a part of your job, and because everyone should be able to protect themself.

And sometimes you just choose to do it for purely recreational purposes unrelated to any "serious" concern.

Maybe you are particularly adept with one kind of firearm and choose to write a very long and descriptive message on a forum demonstrating to everyone else in the world how to detail strip it safely, and you get some pleasure out of doing that, as well as the esteem of your peers because you helped them out. And then sometimes, you take what you see in front of you and come up with a neat idea for a new product.

Or something entirely different!

Who cares? Everyone's story is a little different. All these things happen *because* we choose to insist on the right to own them responsibly, and encourage others to do likewise. And I use those words carefully. And there's nothing wrong with it. :)

Each person decides which guns they buy -- according to their own judgment and limitations and criteria and philosophy, and yes, even their whim. It's a little like Bob Dylan's song: "Gotta Serve Somebody":

"You may be an ambassador to England or France,
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance,
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world,
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody."

The good thing is that we get to decide which, and how many, guns we want to have or can afford to have. Nobody is in a race, here, as far as I can tell.

sebtool

Blackhawk
I just sold a revolver, and used the proceeds to justify another pistol.... :D

But now I need another rifle, but I'm not sure which way to go. So I might have to buy 2.... :?

And I'm still trying to track down another pistol that I foolishly traded about 6 months ago on the revolver I just sold.... :oops:

Then there's the shotgun I've been trying to avoid by not going to the pawnshop it's at, but I've got to go down that way later this week. You see, I don't own a 12 gauge..... yet. Just a few 16s and a 20.

I think they call it 'obsessive compulsive addiction', but I don't really see it as a bad thing - I mean hey, some people watch reality shows, Rosie O'Donnell, and soap operas! You tell me which is worse for your overall mental health and well being!
I thought so. :wink:

I prefer to call it a 'well rounded collection'. At least it ain't stamps or bugs....:lol:

Now all I need to do is start saving up for more ammo and reloading components. :)

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Ruger's motto is: "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens" and as much as people sometimes try to diminish that, it was something I think Bill Ruger believed in, and we should also. Being a responsible citizen is a multifaceted obligation and there are plenty of ways you can legitimately do it, happily. :)

Scorpion

Bearcat
96/44":vkg4wsiu said:
If you compare the value of your guns vs. when you bought them, to your 401k returns, you will probably find out the guns have been a better investment. Sounds like sound financial planning to me. :lol:

Wonder if this is an argument I could present to my wife. :idea:

sebtool

Blackhawk
Scorpion":2mdnropf said:
96/44":2mdnropf said:

Wonder if this is an argument I could present to my wife. :idea:

Always remember the saying that another member here uses as a tag line - "What gun? I asked of she who must be obeyed...." :lol:

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
My wife mentioned one day- "you are getting a lot of guns"
I said (of course), "no i'm not"
So, when she went out, I started counting..., I stopped counting at 60.
I "thought" I had, maybe 15 or so.
They add up, but ALL have a purpose and no..., I do not have all I want, not even close.
(I would like at least 1 of each:)

Specs

Single-Sixer
Hey guys, think of it as an investment in precious metals. I know that my collection of fine Rugers and ammo aplenty for them will go UP in value relative to just about any other investment. Would you rather have a couple of Krugerrands or maybe a new Mini 14? Have you had any fun with your double eagles lately? How about those silver coins? I had some and turned them into something useful.

Every time I fill another ammo can I am thinking like it's coin of the realm I'm putting up.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Specs: Very well said. We also buy guns because we enjoy them and enjoy owning something new and different, even if it's just for ourselves.

Everyone makes a choice in how to use, spend, collect and accumulate their assets: that's why we're a free country, including firearms. And it's a great tradition here.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
By the way I am quite sure that if I met Thomas Jefferson tomorrow (I am a distant descendent of his) through some H.G. Wells contrivance, I would first have to try to describe to him (using the internet) everything that had happened since 1785 (ok, since 1826). He would be confused and horrified to learn, I think, that people have to actually *think* about and work to retain and defend their right to own, possess and bear firearms in front of the Supreme Court. I also imagine that he would want to borrow one of my guns while he learned his way around in the Post-postmodern Era, as would many of the people who helped found this country.

Latest posts