Too high front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
So I have this NMBH 45 Colt with 4 5/8's barrel. To get it to hit point of aim had to raise rear sight almost as far as it would go. Measured height of front sight and also on a OMBH in same caliber, same barrel length and, lo and behold, the NM sight was .096 higher! Not sure how that would happen at factory, but seems a little file work is in order.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Regular plinking load, 6.2 grs. HP-38 under a 250 gr. RNFP. Even so, could not understand the big difference between front sight height on OMBH and NMBH, same barrel length, same caliber, almost a tenth of an inch.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It sounds like Ruger mistakenly installed the front sight for a long barreled .45.
It can be filed down OR , if a stainless gun, easily replaced. Or sent back to Ruger for correction.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
I only have one 4 5/8" .45 and its stainless but I put on the tallest front sight I could get from Ruger so I could shoot 300+ grain bullets in it.

Measured my four blued 7 1/2" .45's the two old models were .018" difference .348" and .366" from top of sight to top of sight base. The two new models .103" in difference .352" and .455" measured same as above. The two new models were made in 76 and 91 with the latter having the taller sight. Gotta love consistency. Measured my 7 1/2" stainless at .438" using the same technique. I've already changed the Hunter and stainless Bisley 5 1/2" to taller sights the rest of the .45's are Vaqueros so didn't measure them. I also put a taller front sight on my new 5 shot .454 Bisley.
Believe me the heavy bullets require taller front sights. :lol:

Yeah I have a few Ruger .45 Colt single actions.

What year is your new model if you don't mind me asking.

Never had to file a sight on mine.

Dana

mhblaw

Blackhawk
48-077xx shows 2002. As I don't plan to shoot heavy bullets, I filed it down to the same height as my OMBH with same barrel length, same caliber.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Figured it was a later date. Filing works just fine for a particular load. Glad you got it done to your satisfaction that's all that matters.
That's a lot of filing hope you had a new file. :lol:

Dana

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Actually I had a fairly rough "bastard" file and took less than half an hour including the cold blue touch up.

This excessively too tall sight phenomenon is not new. Here's a copy of my reply to that thread...

WAYNO said:
swmetal said:
Is there a consensus that these are all coming with too tall a front sight? I had to raise my rear sight to the maximum to get it to shoot POA with 158 SWC.

Anyone who has one shooting POA, can you post the height of your front sight? My factory front sight on my 5.5" barrel SS model is 0.410 from the flat sight mount or 0.560 from top of the barrel.

Took me two tries with the file, but I finally have it shooting POA, but with the rear sight still cranked all the way up. Now that I know where I'm at, I'll file once more so I can collapse the rear sight a little.

WAYNO.

and if ya want to read the whole thread, here's a link...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=221582&hilit=sight&start=60

WAYNO.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
"I usually have the opposite problem - not enough front sight and end up filing on the rear, and/or building up the front for some of the "warm" loads."

Me too. How do you build up the front sight?