tomorrows collectors items

Help Support Ruger Forum:

skeeter

Single-Sixer
If we knew then what we know now we would have all bought a couple of hawkeyes. What do you think will be tomorrow's collectors piece. Will the 327 blackhawk go the way of the 357 Max? What do you think?

Lee Martin

Hunter
I think it'll hang in there better than the Maximum. That got axed because of top strap cutting and burned forcing cones. Neither were really an issue, except for when people got chrono-happy with light bullets.

As much as I appreciate the possibilities connected with the .327 I fear it may not be a big seller. If you think you want a complete Ruger single-action collection, it might be a good idea to pick one up while they are still available.

This in no way should be taken as a slam on either the cartridge or the gun. I just have a feeling . . .

And I've been wrong before.

;)

Cholo

Staff member
I'm too damn, not the river kind, old to worry about what might be the future Ruger collectibles. The scarcer NM Flattops? Single Six .32 mags? SP101's, especiably in .22?

No matter, I'll be looking at the daisies from the bottom up... :cry:

sebtool

Blackhawk
Ask my brother-in-law - he's the 1 that saved a NIB Winchester 30-30 Illinois Commerative Edition from about '75, till about the mid '90's, saw it was worth less than a new 1, and took it hunting. Shot it to sight it in, got a little 6 point buck, and I don't think he's pulled it out since!
But he's alot better at the stock market - He asks his Dad.:wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Collectability of anything is dependant upon a few things.
Low production numbers, desirable features, & nothing else like it available.
The older guns, (Flattops, Flatgates, etc) are not low in production numbers until you see a "variation" such as the 10" barrels. Add the fact that a lot of them get abused, lost, destroyed, customized etc,, then the numbers of them in good shape suddenly become "low." Then add the desirability feature,, as they are great feeling shooters,, and have been used as custom platforms,, (can we say converted to 44 spl?) and you have created another reason they are desirable. Then add the fact that the action design changed dramitically in 1973,, & now they are no longer available. Instant collector demand.
Or,, let's look at the Hawkeye. Approximately 3,300 built,, & were very slow sellers. Weren't very attractive to shooters,, as the design was ahead of it's time. Stop production,, and add the fact of Rugers becoming a collector world sleeper,, they have steadily risen in demand & prices. Nowadays,, almost all collectors either have at least one or want at least one "just to have" as they are now considered one of the premier collectables in the Ruger line,, even though there are a lot of other guns with lower production numbers.
Then the maxi,, a nice NM,, BUT built totally different than other Rugers in that the mainframe is larger. About 11,000 built,, but the program got scrapped due to a few issues with topstrap flame cutting by a few hotrodder reloaders using light bullets at warp speeds. Then custom gun makers found they could use the frame to built other odd calibers,, so the demand gets high quickly. Prices have risen accordingly.
So,, what to "collect?" for future investments??? A hard question to answer.
I recall a budding collector who scoffed at the "new" Bisley gripframe design,,, and the "odd" 32 magnum. He figured it would go away quickly,, so he aquired a nice Bisley 32 mag, to put away. As it turned out,, his variation did become scarce,, just because he got lucky & got one of the lower production types,,, but the Bisley grip frame has become a desirable feature,, so it has remained. And the caliber, 32 mag has become a popular standard,, as noted by the volumes of shooters who enjoy it. It now has a big brother in the 327 maggie,, so who knows. That guy was "wrong" in his assumptions,, but got lucky that the peticular variation was a lower production version.

Buying to collect while speculating on future rarieties is risky at best.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Often times, as pointed out by the .357 Maximum, guns that have built in (engineered) problems or develope them soon after getting out to the public become "good" investments because of limited sales and eventually limited production by the factory. These should be a "consideration" in looking at prospective collectability. Other guns become too expensive to make and go the way of extinction. Also good indicators for possible investment. Three guns that come to mind readily, meeting one or both of the above criteria are the Winchester Model 100, Winchester Model 70 (pre 64) and L.C. Smith shotguns..............................Dick :wink:

Axehandle

Buckeye
This is where we shooters have a distinctive advantage over the collectors... My set is driven by what I like to shoot and what I have seen happen to some of the limited number nitch guns that Ruger has produced.. My first 327 BH is in route.. I plan to grab at least one more for the set... I still think that the gloom and doom cloud some see hanging over the 327 is just a bunch of hot air... From my prospective the brass availability issue does not exist....

And two years ago there were guys right here telling us that "in two years the .327 won't even be in the Ruger catalog". LMAO about that one!

That said, I'll stand by my thought that it may very well not be hugely popular and thus subject to discontinuation. Therefore, the collector's quandary is "do I buy one right now for "new" price or wait a few years until they become a slug on the market and hope the price goes down accordingly and try to pick one up then?".

Makes the hobby more interesting.

;)

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
It's difficult to guage what will be tomorrows collectible.

Several years ago a local sporting goods store was bought by another chain and was selling off all of the older store's stock at give away prices. I bought Winchester 9422s in 22Mag, 22LR, and 17HMR for around $260, which was a pretty good price anytime. I never did get around to shooting the 17HMR, it is still new in the box. And since Winchester ceased production of the 9422 about 6 months after that, it became a big collector's item, especially since they only made that chambering for <2 years.

Same deal on the Ruger Gold Label, difficult to get when in production anyway. I got a great deal on one at a gunshow and intended to use it, which I did for occasional clays and hunting. Now that it is unlikely to ever return, and prices on them have gone astronomical, it stays home far more than it should.

So it's hard to say. I just wish I had a bought a lot more SP101s in 22 when no one wanted them.

DGW1949

Hunter
Just from what little I've seen, collectors are a finicky bunch...and WAY too finicky for me to attempt to guess at what the next fad might be.
On the other hand, shooters in general have followed buying patterns that were established many years ago.

When "investing" is the goal, my gun money is spent on clean (used), brand name, DA 38/357 revolvers, 1911-pattern 45 Autos, bolt-rifles in .270, .308 or 30-06 caliber and maybe an occassional Winchester levergun (but only if I can buy it "right").
Over time, the demand for those aint going to change much, so any of them will most likely go nowhere but up in price. Some possably more than others, but they'll all at least keep up with inflation. Collectable guns may do that too, but I've seen too many "fads" come and go for me to venture off in that direction.

Aint saying that Ruger-collecting is a fad. Just saying that I aint smart enough about the future to chance my money at it.

DGW

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'm patiently awaiting the reintroduction of those fabulous Flatgate Single-Sixes! Oh, yeah, and in Stainless Steel!

Yeah, right.......... :D

flatgate

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
8) Top condition 357 and 44 OM Flattops, any barrel length; Hawkeye 256 WM; Engraved Single Six, cased(only half are found of the 258 recorded, and it's been over fifty years since last produced.........) :wink: Early 5 and 4 screw S&W Model 29 44 mags. US Military 1911 and 1911A1 45's original military top condition(Don't be afraid of arsenal recondition guns, just know the source...........) Last: Don't forget: Bluebirds do not flock 8) :wink: Splitz

Hammer

Single-Sixer

The determination and value of collectibles is determined by only one thing.

I don't have it.

You do.

The wife's not standing next to me at the moment.

I can't go home without it.

Latest posts