Tomorrow's collectibles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Some of the rarest and most expensive collectible guns became that way because they are too ugly,too stupid,or too expensive to sell many of.
If you can predict which of the first two categories are being made today, you could buy them and wait (if you are young) , or bequeath them ( if you are getting gray) ,and make big bucks.
What candidates do you have?
I'm thinking "Orchid" color Wrangler, for sure!

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee,, if I could foresee the future,, I'd not share the info,, I'd buy the things I knew would increase a lot.

But I've failed miserably.. so I have no way to consider offering any projections.

Reactions: 021

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
It used to be easy many years ago . Buy whatever Colt was about to discontinue .

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
1653836386010.png

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I wont agree that it's ugly. I would agree it's different, and not my cup of tea.

The time is ripe for creating a theme collection. There are now so many variations of Wranglers, a feller could easily and inexpensively create a Wrangler collection, and fill up a table at a Ruger Collectors show.:cool:
Between the birds heads,and the color variations, there must be a dozen different specimens to be had!
And some of them I'm sure , will be rare, due to low demand.
Ruger has put inexpensive , quality guns into the hands of many people that couldn't otherwise afford one and I thank them for it .

It's not a Ruger, but the Coonan .357 Magnum 1911 might possibly qualify in the "too expensive" category. A couple of years ago (during the China virus lockdown) I saw a used one at a local gun store for under $1500 - I had always wanted one, so I looked it over, and asked a few questions. Unfortunately, it came with just one magazine, and no box. I did a quick check on the internet, and was surpised to discover that Coonan mags were going for over $200 each; since then, I've seen a factory soft case get bid over $300 on GunBroker. So, reportedly great guns, but definitely "too expensive" (now that they're out of production AGAIN)!

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
It's not a Ruger, but the Coonan .357 Magnum 1911 might possibly qualify in the "too expensive" category. A couple of years ago (during the China virus lockdown) I saw a used one at a local gun store for under $1500 - I had always wanted one, so I looked it over, and asked a few questions. Unfortunately, it came with just one magazine, and no box. I did a quick check on the internet, and was surpised to discover that Coonan mags were going for over $200 each; since then, I've seen a factory soft case get bid over $300 on GunBroker. So, reportedly great guns, but definitely "too expensive" (now that they're out of production AGAIN)!
I just counted the number of Wranglers at the Ruger website. 17 models of Wranglers!

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The criteria for the Collectable Crystal Ball isn't Ugly or Stupid per se , it's whether it have long term marketplace popularity .

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The criteria for the Collectable Crystal Ball isn't Ugly or Stupid per se , it's whether it have long term marketplace popularity .
I think you missed my point.
If a gun is really ugly or stupid,it won't be popular,it won't sell,and in time it will be rare,and maybe collectible.
If it's popular,and a lot are sold,it will never be rare.

bobski

Hunter
my brother in law was rich. filthy rich. every year he would go to his lgs and buy EVERY GUN in the catalog. then hed stuff them away in his vault. then, 30-40 years later, he'd see which ones were collectible and sell them for gobbs of doe.
the rest he'd just sell off at market.
when he left this earth, he left them to his son to continue on the tradition.
he had kids instead and sold them all off to travel.
stupid kid.
its the only way you can win at the guessing game.
buy them all, weed them out.

I just counted the number of Wranglers at the Ruger website. 17 models of Wranglers!

In general, I dislike spray-on finishes on firearms (military firearms like FALs are an exception). Now, if Ruger would come out with a camo Wrangler, I would buy one - camo (like aloha shirt fabric :>) doesn't show crap! Of course, plaid or polka-dot would be uglier, and maybe more collectible.

(For some reason, "ugly" plus "collectible" reminds me of a "John McCain 2008" necktie I picked up somewhere for a buck... :>)

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Since looks have crept into this,, I'll recall what a buddy of mine always says; "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder,, but sometimes,, it's the beauty in the eyes of the beer holder. But remember,, ugly girls need loving too,, and are often grateful."

Now,, he's been known to have some pretty ugly girlfriends and wives. He's no catch,, and he's the type to be a PIA to live with.

But when it comes to guns,, beauty can be a misleading thing. The Super GP,,, well, in person,, to a competition shooter who's exposed to all kinds of seriously modified firearms,, built for specific competition,, or special purposes,, can be very appealing. Or the odd colored Wranglers,, many ladies like funny colors most men would scoff at.

And while we are talking beauty,, there's a post on the CB forum,, I think it was in the gunsmithing,, section,, showing a picture of a Ruger Mini-14,, with a ugly, badly done welding job of mounting a scope ring set-up. Talk about ugly,,,,,my comment was about how Bill would be turning over in his grave if he saw that.

But collectable,, I like the attitude of the rich guy. If you have money to invest,, why not?

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Well never knew milsurps would be commanding so much money 40 years back. Won't consider it pretty or ugly but prices are up there for all matching examples like the 98k my father brought back. Having it is priceless enough for me.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Pick tomorrow's collectables?
Doubt it. I can't even pick which reloading component is gonna become unobtanium next.

Last edited: