Tom Horn

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The movie "Tom Horn" was recently shown on the Grit channel. Beautiful scenery, correct costumes and just natural looking folks. Richard Farnsworth, Slim Pickens, Steve McQueen all well cast.

But, the movie has Tom Horn using a Winchester 1886 in .40-65 caliber, and McQueen really dubs the recoil of such a powerful gun. But.......

At Tom Horn's trial proceedings, it is brought out that he used a Winchester 94 in .30-30. One lawyer quizzes him on why not use the "longer ranging .30 Government" (Model 95) and his reply was "I like to get in close."

And at one point, McQueen remarks about the "rainbow trajectory" of the .40-65. I sort of doubt that expression was in use during that period.

Bob Wright

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
The movie "Tom Horn" was recently shown on the Grit channel. Beautiful scenery, correct costumes and just natural looking folks. Richard Farnsworth, Slim Pickens, Steve McQueen all well cast.

But, the movie has Tom Horn using a Winchester 1886 in .40-65 caliber, and McQueen really dubs the recoil of such a powerful gun. But.......

At Tom Horn's trial proceedings, it is brought out that he used a Winchester 94 in .30-30. One lawyer quizzes him on why not use the "longer ranging .30 Government" (Model 95) and his reply was "I like to get in close."

And at one point, McQueen remarks about the "rainbow trajectory" of the .40-65. I sort of doubt that expression was in use during that period.

Bob Wright
Hi,

But other than that, how did you like the movie?

Rick C

1662574053952.png

Which rifle is this?

Johnnu2

Buckeye
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968 version)... McQueen at his coolest .. !!!

J.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Rifle used in the movie was Winchester 1873 in 45-75.
A '73 in .45-75? Don't think so. The Model '73 could only handle pistol length cartridges. It was the Model '76 that took the longer cartridges. But Tom Horn was fond of the .30-30 Model 94. His was the only one in that vicinity at the time.

Bob Wright

Yes, the film rifle was an 1876 Winchester probably in 45-60.
Better known as the Centennial Model That is how my 1897 Sears and Roebuck list the cartridges for it. The first production models were chambered in 45-75 WCF, and other chamberings followed firing the .40-60, 45-60, and the .50-95 Winchester Express.

In the above picture looks like a 86.

If I remember correctly Horn brought his outcome himself.

Kevin You need to get out more it appears you have lead a very sheltered life :)

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin,, as many have mentioned several well known films with Steve McQueen,, you really need to spend some time watching his stuff.
And while you are at it,, research Steve himself. He was a REAL actor,, and many of his films will always be known as solid classics.

One of my all time favorite actors.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Better known as the Centennial Model That is how my 1897 Sears and Roebuck list the cartridges for it. The first production models were chambered in 45-75 WCF, and other chamberings followed firing the .40-60, 45-60, and the .50-95 Winchester Express.

In the above picture looks like a 86.

If I remember correctly Horn brought his outcome himself.

Kevin You need to get out more it appears you have lead a very sheltered life :)
Jim, one can see the sliding dust cover and the edge of the side plate as found on a '76 in the above pic of McQueen holding the rifle. '86s don't have either (and is a much better design, in my opinion, having owned both in the past!)