Today's Question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

When a person chooses their SD gun, does one choose a gun with which to 'push back' when facing a threat OR does one choose a gun that will 'freight train' the threat????
This question came to mind today as I was tinkering with my recently added folding stock for the AR9 PDW. I was shooting at the 3/8" steel plate @ 25-50 yards and keeping it swinging with repeated hits from the 9mm. Then I thought, HMMM. Yes, it hits the steel with substantial authority BUT. A few weeks back, I shot the same plate at the same distance with the 300AAC from a similar length barrel AND BLEW THE CENTER OUT OF THE PLATE. Wait a minute! One of these is not like the other one.
IMHO, the only factor on the side of the 9mm is: it doesn't ring the ears as badly. OK, maybe it is adequate for short to moderate SD and of course, the increase in accuracy is credible but it's not even close to the effectiveness of the 300. On the other hand, using the 300 in a defense scenario may be harder to justify than using the 'puny' 9mm in a similar platform.
Just rambling thoughts.

Mobuck {When a person chooses their SD gun, does one choose a gun with which to 'push back' when facing a threat OR does one choose a gun that will 'freight train' the threat????}

Per your question, hopefully I'm understanding what you are asking. My choice (you know what it is) is discouraging a threat from moving forward. I don't want to have to shoot someone, and I'm pretty sure they don't want to be shot. Frequently the mere presence of a gun, will back off the bad guy. Don't know how many folks watch Active Self Protection on YOUTUBE but they show real life crimes taking place. For the most part after the first shot, the bad guys are on the run. I've watched a lot of them and I have to say over 90% of the time there is no shooting back, just getting out of there.

Last edited:
I've always carried a .38 revolver with +P ammo in it. Years ago I bought a box of WWB 38+P 125gr HP, I found them to be accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot and they opened up nicely when fired into a drum filled with water. I think it's a nice combination of power, size, and weight.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Just be happy you still have some choice for the most part (at least in most States), instead of being told what you are permitted to carry/use by the government.

When a person chooses their SD gun, does one choose a gun with which to 'push back' when facing a threat OR does one choose a gun that will 'freight train' the threat????

Years ago, I came across some simple "rules of carry" posted by a guy who called himself KY Jim. Quoting from memory:

1) Any gun is better than no gun.
2) A reliable gun is better than an unreliable one.
3) A hole where you want it is better than a hole someplace else.
4) A bigger hole is a better hole.

I hate to quote Captain Obvious, but as he once astutely remarked, "everybody is different". I once met a guy who carried, every single day, a 1911 chambered in .460 Roland, with a scandium-framed Smith .44 Mag as a 'New York reload'. I also know a nice lady who is comfortable with a .22 LR revolver for self defence. Two very different approaches, but both satisfy those simple "rules of carry".

So, what works for you? If your .300 is just as reliable and accurate as your 9mm, and it's just as likely to be available when you need it, that may be your better choice. Someone else with similar firearms may choose differently, if their gas-operated .300 is less reliable than their blowback 9mm, or the muzzle blast from their .300 causes them to flinch. As Captain Obvious also famously observed, "one size does not fit all"!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

DaveinWV

Bearcat
I reckon as long as what you use to protect yourself or others isn't illegal or injures bystanders it's all good (Other than liberal schitt holes).

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Is the question 9mm vs .300 in AR Pistol ? Or general discussion of defensive pistols ?

More of a conversation regarding how much is 'good enough' vs 'a better choice if that choice is readily available'.
Is the increased velocity and accuracy gained by an 8" 9mm w/folding brace 'good enough' OR go all the way to a 10.5" 300 accepting the increase in muzzle blast, ammo weight, and recoil.

XP100

Blackhawk
What the hell will my Springfield XDs in 45ACP do if a 9mm will blow a lung out or my S&W 3" 44 mag. Trail Boss do?

I fall back on the old philosophy: the size of the bullet will only matter if it goes where it is supposed to go. Pick your defensive weapon and ammo and practice with it until you are comfortable and then practice more... and then more. My carry gun I practice with everyday... in fact I will right now....

So, I tried to embed a video of my 'office practice' in the above post but it seems the 1.5 minute video is too large and so I ended up putting it on YouTube as unlisted...

Here it is... was just a quick video and I did not try to be too professional with it.

eveled

Hawkeye
If I understand the original question correctly.

I prefer push back. Like how .45acp hits like a baseball bat.

Freight train is like a .223 just making a hole and continuing on its way. Not what you want in a upclose encounter.