Todays gunshop find, Single Six magnum model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Well on a whim today I headed to one of my favorite gun shops. The main reason for going was to look at some lead bullets. Unfortunately for me the used gun case is on the way to the reloading stuff. Hmm I think they may have done this on purpose. Any ways I always take a peak in the used case to see what they have and to my surprise this little gem was sitting on the second shelf kinda hidden. At first I thought is was just a standard new model single six but then I looked closer and saw 3 nice screws instead of pins, This is the point that the drool began to run down my face. Right next to the gun was a fitted spare cylinder in 22lr. Believe me I couldn't get the counter guy to get the gun out for me fast enough. Once I had the gun in my hand I quickly looked it over and found to my delight that it was still unconverted and was in very good condition. Heck besides for the blueing on the barrel the gun looks nearly brand new. It was at this point that I had to start arguing with myself. I really didn't need another revolver, the wife will kill me if I buy this etc. However on the plus side I don't currently own a 22 revolver and have always wanted one, it is an unconverted "Old Model" Single Six, and I will most likely not see another one in this condition. In the end I decided I needed this gun and I could risk the wifes wrath for it. Not to mention I am going to tell her it is so I can teach my 5 year old son how to shoot in the future. Oh yeah she dates to 1962 and I think she is pretty good looking for her age.

Jerry

So here it is:
singlesix1Large.jpg

singlesix2Large.jpg

singlesix3Large.jpg

blackiehawkins

Bearcat
lovesrugers":20ctd9vt said:
In the end I decided I needed this gun and I could risk the wifes wrath for it. Not to mention I am going to tell her it is so I can teach my 5 year old son how to shoot in the future. Oh yeah she dates to 1962 and I think she is pretty good looking for her age.

My wife dates to 1954 and is holding up pretty good, too. :D

All seriousness aside, that's a really nice .22!!!

americal

Hunter
A very nice gun 8) a little work on left side of barrel would help looks but some would not even do that :) just my opinion--- love those magnum old models---- someone is this not a kind of scarce gun :?:

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Earl I paid $349 plus tax. Not a steal but a good deal in my mind seeing as how I don't see this everyday.
Jerry

contender

Ruger Guru
At the price you paid,, you got a very fair deal. The magnum marked SS's with the extra cylinders are nice ones to get. Especially if they letter. You did very well. (If you don't need that brown cardboard box, funky red felt bag etc,, I'll gladlythat that junk off your hands!) :D

cgb

Bearcat
I'd a bought it at that price. I'd a had to bring home something real nice for my wife along with it.

lovesrugers

Bearcat
contender":fmon6aer said:
(If you don't need that brown cardboard box, funky red felt bag etc,, I'll gladlythat that junk off your hands!) :D
That funky cardboard box and the felt bag are the items that actually caught my attention. Without those I may have just glanced the other way.

Oh yeah the .22lr cylinder is numbered to the gun. That was one of the checks I did before purchase. If I remember right at that time they didn't number the magnum cylinder to the gun.

Onto another point I remember reading at one time that the magnum labeled guns are possibly rarer, that also played a role in if I purchased this gun or not.

On Monday I hope to call Ruger and verify exactly what I have. I have to say this gun has the nicest older grip medallions I have seen.

Jerry

flatgate

Hawkeye
You did just fine! I, too, like those "magnum marked" OM Single-Sixes. There were around 40,000 of them made in several different variations (Black grips, Walnut grips, Eagle on barrel, no Eagle on barrel, convertible, magnum cylinder only, etc.)

flatgate

Allen207

Single-Sixer
I love the "teach the kid to shoot" rational, I am using the same to try and pick up an old model SS at the Waterville gunshow next weekend. granted, I have already taught him how to shoot with airguns, but it is a progression....

Next is the Bisley in .45 bwahahahaha!

street

Hunter
Check the address on the barrel. If it has the Ruger Eagle stamped on it then RENE states about 5250 made. If no Eagle on the barrel then about 5000 made. Either way that a nice find, and a rare gun. Look for a box to complete your package. The box will have RSSM as the model number, which all 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes had. The paper work needs to be dated 1959. Good luck.

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Street thanks for the info.

I just double checked and found this gun doesn't have an Eagle stamped onto the barrel. I also removed the grips yesterday and found that the grip frame was marked Alcoa and XR3 which is what I was expecting. Darn I can't wait to give this gun a range workout. Hopefully the sites are on or fairly close, I don't want to have to do any alterations to this gem.

Jerry

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Good deal I know you and the youngen will really enjoy shooting it. I bought my first three screw SS three weeks ago took it to the range last saturday and when I finally put it down I almost went through 100 rounds :D .Yesterday I went to my local gun shop and picked up a SS 61/2" 1975 model with both cyls can,t wait to get that one to the range. Enjoy your new find, dusterman

The fact that the .22 LR cylinder is numbered to the gun is a real good sign.

It will be interesting to see how it letters. An RSSMW finding would be superb.

Excellent score.

:D :D :D

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Well I got her to the range today. The sites were right on. Since it was the families private range I quickly proceeded to using it for its intended purpose, blasting empty pop cans at various ranges. Who ever knew a .22 could be so much fun at 50 yards off hand.

Oh yeah, one other question. I used to have the number to the nice ladies at Rugers records department right here on my desk. Of course now that I need it I can't find it. I know I can get a number off of Rugers website but I swear the number I had before was for a direct line to the records dept. Anyone have that number handy so I can make the call tomorrow to verify what I have?

Jerry

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Thanks Ale-8. I just got off the phone with the nice lady at records. She confirmed the gun was shipped in May of 1962 and is an RSSMX model. I have her sending me a factory letter stating what it is. Hopefully the letter will show what grips it was originally shipped with. Either way I am still happy as can be with my purchase.

Jerry