Today's challenge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I was taking the first bite of my noon sandwich when my phone rang. The number indicated it was my rural mail carrier so it being Sunday, I wondered WTH he wanted. Turns out his Brother who owns some recreational land a mile north of my house was stuck on the property and mail man was asking if I could make the rescue. OK but I'm going to drive the UTV up just to see how badly 'stuck' he is.
The guy had driven into the field on a water retention berm and then attempted to drive off the berm and across 250 yards of swamp to an elevated 'deer house'. He made about 40 yards before sinking his Daughter's fairly new FORD Bronco up to the frame. I wasn't going to just drive out and hook up a strap because then we'd have a tractor stuck also. My Daughter and Grandson were here so we gathered up all the tow straps and 30' of chain. It required 80' of straps and 16' of chain to reach from semi-solid ground to the vehicle and in some places, the water was 10-12" deep. Didn't pull hard with the tractor atop the berm and we didn't damage anything so I'll call it a win.

hittman

Staff member
You must have the patience of a Saint.
Hard to believe he didn’t know what would happen.
Good for you especially on a moments notice, on Sunday and Fathers Day.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Try that with a 70-ton tank sometime. It can be entertaining."
Naw, but I have tackled a 40 ton semi stuck up to the axles.
"You must have the patience of a Saint."
I'm not THAT patient--it's long story about something this guy's Dad did for us a long time ago. A debt of gratitude from 6 decades past.
I refused to accept anything for my efforts but I for sure have a place to stay anytime I hit Springfield MO in need of a place to sleep, forever trapping rights to this guy's farm, and an opportunity to give my Daughter and Grandson something to remember long after I'm gone.

turd

Blackhawk
There's no excuse for stupid. Glad none of the straps or chains broke, that's quite a combination you put together to reach 80'. Danger, danger, Will Robinson.......

eveled

Hunter
The guy with the Bronco was stupid. The man with 80 feet of strap/chain was just prepared.

Straps and chains break and can be dangerous. I don't see how using more than one at a time is a bad idea.

Pull gently. An experienced operator will know how hard to push the equipment

Last edited:
Late 80s and early 90s I had a slightly lifted K5 Chevy Blazer that I played around off-road a bit.
Friend call me one night stuck and wanted me to come pull him out. Managed to get position on him, he had a 1/2 ton two wheel drive pickup pretty well stuck on his back property. I had a 4in. wide 30 ft. long "snatch" strap well secured and tugged him a little...no go.
When that fails just escalate a bit, maybe 5 feet of slack than hit it. Was pulling from the back of his truck, popped him right out. Now for those who haven't been "snatched" it can be a bit sudden on the snatchee. He wasn't ready...slid off the seat and got the steering wheel right across the nose, crawls out from halfway under the dash swearing and bleeding.

Last edited:

turd

Blackhawk
The guy with the Bronco was stupid. The man with 80 feet of strap/chain was just prepared.

Straps and chains break and can be dangerous. I don't see how using more than one at a time is a bad idea.

Pull gently. An experienced operator will know how hard to push the equipment
Yes, I meant the guy in the Bronco was stupid. I also wanted to express that the 80' combo of strap/chain isn't just for anyone to try. In this case, the operator obviously knew what he was doing. Sorry for not being more clear with my post.

Latest posts