To buy, or not to buy, that is the question....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trustno1

Bearcat
As a new member of this forum and recent Ruger collector, I was in my favorite gun store yesterday and spied an OM Blackhawk 45LC 7 1/2 barrel. She's been rode hard and put away wet, someone varnished the grips, blueing is about 75 %. The lockup seemed tight and it had not been converted. In the words of Howie Mandel, "Deal or no Deal?"

maxpress

Buckeye
jump on it you can have the barrel cut (if you want to), get it tightened up, and have a good base to do anything you want. course i would just carry it as is for hiking.

trustno1

Bearcat
thanks for all the input....lee marvin, do you have a suggestion as to who(m) to send it to to get refinished? would that be ruger, or a 'smith to send it too. Thanks.

Just to "put my money where my mouth is" . . .

Couple of years ago I went to a small, local gun show. Not much there. Just as I was about to leave, I spotted an OM .45 with the 7-1/2" barrel. It was not pristine. Not beat, but it had a few marks and the grips had seen better days . . . some bluing wear. I think he was asking $375. I left it there.

Went home and e-mailed one of the "regulars" here, and told him about passing on the Ruger. He "hollered" at me to get my fanny back to that show and buy the gun for him and he'd pay shipping to get it to him. Went back to the show and offered the guy $350, I think . . . he grumbled but took the offer. I took the gun home.

It had been converted, but the original parts were in the box. No, not the "proper" box, just one of the "return for service" variety. Decided the old gal deserved a good cleaning. So I'm scrubbing on it, and noticed again what a truly crappy action the conversion parts provided. Decided to re-install the original parts. Did so. Man, what a beautiful, smooth, crisp action resulted. Finished up the cleaning. Stuck on a nicer pair of grip panels. Played with it. Fondled it.

Called the guy and asked him how miffed he'd be if I kept "his" gun. Gentleman that he was, he just laughed and said he was glad it didn't "get away" from us. I still have it. Told him he gets "first dibs" if I need to sell it.

:D

trustno1

Bearcat
will be buying said BH this afternoon...............seems like I have some "business" to attend to which requires me to be out of the office............they also had a single six in 32 H&R Mag for $199.00. don't know, seems like a good deal but I'll leave it to the experts on this forum. Will post pictures asap.

cubrock

Blackhawk
Buy that Single Six, too! That is about half price for a .32 Mag.

trustno1

Bearcat
well, picked up up both today. I hemmed and hawed and started to walk away and he said he'd take twenty off the price of the Blackhawk if I bought both. Sold, I said, and would have paid list price for both. So, pretty good day at the ol'gunstore. $250.00 for the 45 LC Blackhawk and $199.00 for the 32 H&R Mag Single Six. And yes, I am gloating...but just a bit.......Now to convince the wife that these are investments, not toys...........

Chance

Buckeye
If ya have a Fjestads Blue Book, do what I do. Tell her what you paid and then open up to the Blue Book page and show her the difference. Then you go to your investment statement, show her what has been put in and what it is worth now.

Guns win everytime. And, you should be gloating.