TLA #5 Improved

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was lucky enough to snag this gun about a year ago and I had it sent directly to Alan Harton to have the internals checked for hardness, a former owners name removed from the backstrap and ivory grips installed. It came home just a week or so ago so I thought you guys might like a few pictures. Yes, I DID go buy a camera today!
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_00011.jpg

SBH4628

Blackhawk
That is nice :shock: But the loading gate is on the wrong side :D. What kind of camera did you get?

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
Sam, tell me about the banjer in the pic!

I play Old-Time (clawhammer) myself. I have an 1890s Buckbee (student model, but nice tone and 28 brackets), and my main banjer is a 2005 Bart Reiter Whyte Laydie - VERY nice banjer.

By the way, Sam - I highly recommend you gitchee a TLA #5 ASAP - they ain't getting any cheaper!

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Robb Barnes":2psnpptr said:
Sam, have I got a DEAL for you! I'll let you know when it arrives from Texas.
Ooooh... I got a "tingle up my leg" when I read that. (Can I say that here? :lol:)) Seriously, I'll be looking forward to hearing about that.

Boge Quinn":2psnpptr said:
Sam, tell me about the banjer in the pic!

I play Old-Time (clawhammer) myself. I have an 1890s Buckbee (student model, but nice tone and 28 brackets), and my main banjer is a 2005 Bart Reiter Whyte Laydie - VERY nice banjer.

By the way, Sam - I highly recommend you gitchee a TLA #5 ASAP - they ain't getting any cheaper!
That's a Mike Ramsey "Bacon" model. Mine's a custom, with a cherry neck and pot. I didn't order it myself, I just happened to find it hanging on a shop wall.

I've only been playing banjo since March of this year, though I've been playing guitar and bass for 35+ years. I'd always wanted to try it, so I got myself a Gold Tone CC250 (bluegrass) to start. Within a couple of weeks I realized I wanted a warmer tone, and started looking again. I was just going to get a 12" open back plunker, but I picked this one up and loved the tone. The Bacon ring gives it a real raspy, throaty sound. The fact that it was made in my Mom's old stomping grounds of NC didn't hurt, either.

In fact, buying this banjo helped me self-justify buying nicer guns, too. I figure I shoot better than I play, and if I'm going to buy a banjo that costs that much I might as well get a nice gun or two, too. :)

Those Reiter's are nice! And of course anything made before the turn of the century is a treasure.

Amazing how guns and stringed instruments go together. Now about that No. 5...

-- Sam

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
Thought that looked like a Ramsey. I'd like to have one of his banjers, preferably one with a Bacon tone ring and Renaissance head like yours.