Tips on figuring proper charge...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
...when using bullets for which there is no published load data?

I am using .41 mag 230gr Leadhead Keith slugs and cannot find any load data using this bullet. I want to come up with a load using H110/W296 and Unique and get a little nervous guessing at min/max charges. I loaded up a few with 18.2grns of H110 which was close to the min published charge for a 220gr cast bullet, but haven't tried them yet.

BTW, Leadhead's load data as downloaded from their website doesn't contain data for this bullet either.

So, I guess my question is do I use load data for the closest bullet that I'm trying to use, or is there some other method to determine proper charges if there isn't published data? Does 10gr of bullet weight difference make any appreciable difference with regard to powder charges?

Oh, and if anyone wants to share any load data for a 230gr cast bullet in .41 mag - feel free.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
contender":k0f2rnz4 said:
Have you contacted the makers of the mold,, or any of the cast lead bullet companies to see if they have any data?

I did DL whatever load data that they had on their website, but it did not have data for this bullet. :?: :?:

Next step is to do what you suggest and contact them.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

As advised, I'd start making some calls.

There's a GENERAL rule (which, like all, you use at your own risk!) that you should use info for a HEAVIER bullet than what you have when working w/ "unknowns." In other words, if you have data for a 250 gr bullet and have a 230 in your hand, you'd take the starting load for the 250 and go from there.

I'm just relating that general rule, not recommending the practice.

Rick C

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
I use Cast Performance Bullets 250gr WFNGC and Hodgdons data was 17.4 to 18.5 of H110. Cast Performance said 19.0, it flattened the primers a little so I dropped back to 18.0 for my load.
I have never used a store bought .41 so don't know if the primer indication was excessive or not. :lol:

Hope this helps.

Dana

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin":3u991rvp said:
The published starting load for a 220 gr should be fine for a bullet only 10 grs heavier IMO... :wink:

I have no problem with that. But I do notice that many of the bullets that I have purchased from various manufacturers do weigh in at 5-10 grains heavier than advertised. So this should be considered. I might just drop the charge by 5% in this case.
I NEVER find bullets that run less than advertised. My understanding is that it is the particular alloy (Brinnell hardness) that is responsible for this change. I have to assume that the mould volume was machined for a different mix of lead, antimony, tin, etc.
Sonnytoo

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I have lead bullets that weigh more than advertised, and less than advertised; I ALWAYS (as in "without exception") weigh a sample of at least ten when opening a new box.
Always....