Tipping/Server Rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bennj1

Bearcat
My wife and I always make sure to have 20s, 10s, 5s and 1s when we go out. I prefer using cash. We tip at least 20%, usually more. Most of the servers in our area will say something like "I'll be right back with your change" and we'll tell them to keep it. During these crazy times we also leave tips even if we are picking up an order. Small businesses and their help have been hit hard by this nonsense.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Wow surprised at all the replies. I know I need to start carrying more small bills. Just remember the days when a server would pull out a wad of bills and make change right at the table and provide the smallest bills possible. Just a little thing in the grand scheme of things as some replies rightfully reminded me of. Got to stop sweating the small stuff. That's the point of driving to a restaurant in the middle of nowhere on two lane roads to begin with.

As mentioned we need to treat servers and all food service workers right. We always should of been but right now is even more important. Can make a huge difference. Not to blow my own horn but need to share a recent incident with a local BBQ trailer.

First off amazing BBQ second former military husband and wife that are just amazing people. As with a lot of trucks and trailers schedule varies a bit. But usually you can find them on Wednesday and Saturdays. I got food on a Wednesday as I try to do every Wednesday. Paid by debit and tipped to cover any fees for running the card. Took a couple swipes before card went through.

Jump ahead a few days. Sale never posted to my debit card. Their schedule and mine did not align for another three weeks. I ordered my food and then told their helper I had a problem with the last order and needed to speak with one of the owners. Wife came to the window frazzled wanting to know what she could do to fix my "problem",before I ever said a word to her. Told her she needed to take some more money from me to fix the "problem". I explained everything. She broke down in tears. She could not believe someone would come back and pay. I was shocked at how big of a deal that 20 bucks was to her. Doubt it was financially but it sure made her day. I did it because it was the right thing to do but I am not complaining about the free desserts that show up in my bag from time to time.

Dan in MI

Staff member
mike7mm08 said:
Told her she needed to take some more money from me to fix the "problem". I explained everything. She broke down in tears. She could not believe someone would come back and pay. I was shocked at how big of a deal that 20 bucks was to her. Doubt it was financially but it sure made her day. I did it because it was the right thing to do but I am not complaining about the free desserts that show up in my bag from time to time.

You may well have been one of dozens that had the issue that day and they were upside down on sales for an extended period of time.

During these crazy times we also leave tips even if we are picking up an order.

We often get take out. We started back in 2020, and its become more fun to eat at home and watch a movie.

But I certainly hope everyone tips, even on take out orders. Especially on them, it's a lot more work to box everything up, as well as the added expense of the containers.

pie

Bearcat
My wife and I eat breakfast out most mornings at the same restaurant. I almost always tip with $2 bills. I get them at the bank 200 or 300 at a time (when available) and keep a stash at home. Though most of the wait people there know our names we're probably also known as the $2 bill people. It's sorta become a tradition.

There was a restaurant near me some time ago that had printed on their menus, "If your waiter asks if you want change, your meal is free!"

volshooter

Buckeye
We don't go to any restaurant without making sure we have plenty of tip money. My daily life is all in cash so there is plenty of change in ones, fives and tens. We even tip 20 % for lackluster service as the servers will be taxed on total bill. We are glad to have restaurant servers making crap wages so please tip.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
I have been known to tip the bus boy more than the waiter if he deserves it. Poor service=little or no tip!

But, in our smallish town, we have regular places to: Mexican restaurants where we know the owner and speak "fisherman" Spanish and joke=know the kids, etc. have gotten so-so service but rare and usually when they are swamped or an obviously new server.

Second the remarks on take-out! Usually Friday night "date night" with a movie!