Time for another run of No 1 rifles yet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Deep Six

Bearcat
Well heck finally froze over here in Illinoiz. Starting in 2023, single-shot rifles chambered in a straight-wall cartridge will now be legal for the firearm deer seasons in all counties that have a firearm season (i.e. all counties except Cook).

Now it's too bad I don't currently have such a rifle! Fortunately, I have the better part of a year to find one. There are some options on the market (the Henry break-action comes to mind), but I already know I'm just not going to be satisfied with anything other than a Ruger No 1.

I know the current status is they haven't made any in two years and when Lipseys asks, Ruger tells them "maybe someday when the craziness dies down". Here's to hoping the coming Republican congress causes demand to cool so Ruger and others can find some room to make some traditional guns between runs of 9mms and black rifles.

Seriously though, I do hope both Ruger and Lipseys realize the law changed in IL and it's going to create significant demand for single shots. Yeah, not every deer hunter is looking to take an $1800 rifle into the woods, but I have to imagine our single state could easily could account for a run or three of 250 rifles.

Anyways, I'll take mine as a K1A in 38-55 with walnut! Really though, 405 Win, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 45-70, or any of the other straight wall "tropical" chamberings would be just as good!

Paul B

Hunter
Anyone ever give any thought about what if the communists, errr democrats cheat and take over both house in the upcoming election that if they allow any type of rifle at all, it would most likely be a single shot? probably be the same with a shotgun, And handguns? Forget about it. Your current Ruger #1s would be in very serious demand, at least until Supply caught up with demand. Same with Winchester and clones from Browning and others.
Paul B.

tarbe

Bearcat
Well heck finally froze over here in Illinoiz. Starting in 2023, single-shot rifles chambered in a straight-wall cartridge will now be legal for the firearm deer seasons in all counties that have a firearm season (i.e. all counties except Cook).

Now it's too bad I don't currently have such a rifle! Fortunately, I have the better part of a year to find one. There are some options on the market (the Henry break-action comes to mind), but I already know I'm just not going to be satisfied with anything other than a Ruger No 1.

I know the current status is they haven't made any in two years and when Lipseys asks, Ruger tells them "maybe someday when the craziness dies down". Here's to hoping the coming Republican congress causes demand to cool so Ruger and others can find some room to make some traditional guns between runs of 9mms and black rifles.

Seriously though, I do hope both Ruger and Lipseys realize the law changed in IL and it's going to create significant demand for single shots. Yeah, not every deer hunter is looking to take an $1800 rifle into the woods, but I have to imagine our single state could easily could account for a run or three of 250 rifles.

Anyways, I'll take mine as a K1A in 38-55 with walnut! Really though, 405 Win, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 45-70, or any of the other straight wall "tropical" chamberings would be just as good!
Don't forget about the 475 Linebaugh!

I have an FA in 475 and could be seriously tempted by a No 1 so chambered.

I have had two No 1 45-70 over the years and that is probably my all-time favorite in the No 1....but the Linebaugh can do everything I ask of the 45-70 these days.

tarbe

Bearcat
Anyone ever give any thought about what if the communists, errr democrats cheat and take over both house in the upcoming election that if they allow any type of rifle at all, it would most likely be a single shot? probably be the same with a shotgun, And handguns? Forget about it. Your current Ruger #1s would be in very serious demand, at least until Supply caught up with demand. Same with Winchester and clones from Browning and others.
Paul B.
I was thinking about this the other day.

Funny...I have a roughly equal number of: Single shots, bolt actions, lever actions, autoloaders (AR).

Maybe if my savings and investments had been this diversified, I would not still be working!

I was glad to see Illinois finally allow rifles for deer hunting. I can't wait to use my Anniversary #1 in 45/70 next year.

But there are other options out there. I also have a CVA Scout II in 44 magnum. For those that can't or won't spend the $$ for a #1, these are a good, inexpensive option. I will use it on rainy days when I don't want to subject my #1 to the elements. Plus when on my side-by-side. It shoots my 240 XTP reloads into an inch at 100 yards, 3-shots.

Travelin Man

Bearcat
Chain O' Lakes Region - Northern Illinois
As a fellow Illinois resident (with a second and future retirement home in Tennessee) I would love to see a Ruger No. 1 in .350 Legend for local deer hunting but they really need to make the new rifle law the same as the shotgun regs in that you could use a bolt action rifle with a 3 round maximum capacity (2+1). Right now for Illinois hunting I used a Remington 870 Superslug, with a pistol grip stock and a 25" rifled barrel that is attached to the receiver with a screw. Combined with a Leupold SBAR scope and Hornady SST 325 gr. sabot slugs (2,000 fps muzzle velocity) it holds 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards and only open to about 2-1/2" groups at 200 yards, basically .45-70 ballistics. The down side is the recoil is like that of a .338 Win. Mag rifle.

RSIno1

Hunter
Everybody seems to put a premium on the 45-70 ones. Grab a 458 Win or Lott and load it down.

If they do a run I hope a stainless RSI with gray laminate (not that ugly black they put on the Bushmaster ones) in 308 is among them.

Last edited:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Not SS, but the 460SW No. 1 Ruger is a pretty cool little rifle, shoots 460, 454, 45, and Schofield, lot of power range in a cute little compact rifle. Not sur how well they sold, maybe some still on dealer shelves, know mine was several years after production ended, NIB

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Given the cost of a No 1 versus a Henry SS would think that the folks at Henry would look at trying to capture that market. That said wish Ruger would look at making the No 3 again, only with a butt stock like the No 1 in plain walnut to keep cost reasonable. At a lower price point and in staright wall calibers, or even the original as well, would generate a lot of interest and a lot of sales.

40nascar

Banned

I agree. I think a .38-55, 350 , or even a .375 win would be optimal. The Larger Calibers are too much recoil for my tastes. And that kind of power is not needed, nor optimal for deer.

Fortunately, where I live, I do not need to make that kind of a crappy choice. I get to use my pre- crossbolt safety, Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. With my handloads, it does 1.5 inches at 100 yds.

Danny

Single-Sixer
"Time for another run of No 1 rifles yet?"

I am going to have to say no. I am a big fan of No. 1 Rifles and have a bunch of them, but if they keep making the No .1 like they have been recently, I am not buying. To get me to buy a new one, they would have to go back to the breechblocks that are blued on top and they would have to get the checkering straightened out to where it was quality-wise at about the transition from the red to black pads or earlier.

Danny

I have two custom No.1 in straight-wall cartridges, and they're great at short distances. I'm not sure I'd want to use either beyond 200yds, but not because they're short on energy but due to the trajectory. I think it's great to have one set up for <100 yards and iron sights in a big-bore straight-wall, but good to have another in a bottleneck cartridge, too.

RSIno1

Hunter
Given the cost of a No 1 versus a Henry SS would think that the folks at Henry would look at trying to capture that market.
I think the lure of the Ruger No1 goes far beyond it being a SS. It was Bill Ruger's halo gun. A halo product is one produced to show the engineering and manufacturing abilities of your company with little regard to sales or profits. Fans of the No1 would never consider a break open SS over a No1. A shooter on a budget may buy a Henry but will soon want a drop/rolling block rifle.