Tightened M77 MKII action bolts, now floorplate won't latch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

egl52

Single-Sixer
While cycling my 30-06 tonight I noticed that the action was wiggling a little bit in the stock. I snugged up the action bolts (all three were loose), and now the floorplate won't latch into the trigger guard. It's as if the floorplate won't travel far enough into the latch mechanism to catch. If I loosen up the stock bolts again, it will latch, but I don't want to shoot it with them so loose. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Could be a bedding problem but the middle screw should be set fairly loose. Snug first on the front lug screw, a touch less snug on the tang screw and really light on the center screw.

5of7

Hunter
The middle action bolt on the model 77 should be just snug and not over tightened. The same is true of the model 70 Win.

I will bet if you just loosen that middle screw a little, your floor plate will then latch as it should. 8)

egl52

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the responses. I've tried loosening the middle action bolt until it's completely loose and the floorplate still won't latch. The only way I can get it to snap in place is to loosen the front bolt too much as well, which brings me right back to where I started - with the action wiggling around in the stock. I think I may have a bedding problem as Boxhead suggested.

5of7

Hunter
egl52 said:
Thanks for the responses. I've tried loosening the middle action bolt until it's completely loose and the floorplate still won't latch. The only way I can get it to snap in place is to loosen the front bolt too much as well, which brings me right back to where I started - with the action wiggling around in the stock. I think I may have a bedding problem as Boxhead suggested.

OK, it is a bedding problem. The inletting for the floor plate is too deep. I have purchased rifles that had shims in place for that problem.

Try putting a couple layers of masting tape in the bottom of the inletting and see what happens. 8)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
It was fine before taking it apart I assume? Disassembly does not all of the sudden create a bedding problem. These rifles need to be put back together properly and there is a little work involved getting the screws adjusted right so there is no binding of the floor plate so it wont open or the opposite where it wont shut.

Tighten up the front screw first. That has zero to do with the floor plate function. The two at the trigger guard are where you adjust so it works right. Think of it as too tight at the rear screw and you pinch the trigger guard against the floor plate , too tight at the front and you open it up where it wont latch.

egl52

Single-Sixer
Well, it was not fine before taking it apart. The action was wiggling in the stock, which is why I took it apart in the first place. After snugging up the action bolts the floorplate would no longer latch. I believe 5of7 is correct when he says that the inletting is too deep. I played around with shims below the two rear bolts and finally found a means whereby I can have the front screw snug and the floorplate still latched, though it requires both the center and rear bolts to be so loose as to where the trigger guard wiggles. Another shim may be required to allow me to actually put a enough pressure on the bolts so that they don't back out on their own.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Factory or aftermarket stock? If its a factory unaltered stock id be calling ruger and get them to look at it. May need a new stock. I would go that route before glass bedding it if thats the case.

egl52

Single-Sixer
It's a factory stock, but it's one of the Circassian walnut stocks and it has nice figure. I wouldn't want to risk them replacing it with something less attractive.

tuner

Bearcat
The Ruger M77 has an interesting design with the front action screw on an angle and pulls the action down and to the rear of the stock. By the same token it pulls the floor plate up and to the front, away from the latching mechanism for the floor plate. From your description I would say that you have a beading problem that needs to be corrected. I have glassed several of these and tolerances are critical. My suggestion would be to take the action to someone who knows how to properly bead a M77 action and have them correct the problem.