Three Screw Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

375_H&H_Mag

Bearcat
Hello to all. I am a new member. I have just taken possession of a Mint or near mint Super Blackhawk Old model. I have never owned one before and wanted some experienced opinions on a few things:

1) What is the general build quality of these old SBH's?

2) What sort of accuracy can I expect if I do my part?

3) It has a very slight turn ring on it and the previous owner who is a gun collector says that it was shot very little by the guy he bought it from and has been in a safe since. Is that turn line typical of a SBH?

4) Are there any known issues with these models.?

The gun is about 98-99 % and is very clean. It is the original barrel length of 7.5 " with original pristine grips, and there has been NO "transfer bar conversion" --All original. I hope I made a decent investment here and that it will be a good shooter. I paid $470. Hopefully, this will be a good induction to the Ruger SA circle.

Let me know what some of you Ruger educated folks think about this prefix SN 80-34XXX gun.

[/url][/list]

jerry b

Bearcat
I've had two. One (very early sample) was quite accurate and devoid of most of its bluing. Ugly, but a great shooter. Another (later model) was purdy and purdy awful as a sixgun. It just would not shoot worth beans no matter what I fed it.

Both had great triggers. Both were BUILT great, just like most Rugers. I have no idea to this day why the poor performer was so bad.

The turn ring is becasue the previous owner(s) did not know how to handle a traditional single action.

They can have very skimpy front sight height which may or may not be an issue with the loads you choose.

You will probably love it. I've heard no one except me have an issue with one. My Karma, I guess.

boomslang

Bearcat
That is a good price for a 3 screw super.

Build quality? They were the best built Ruger revolvers ever made in my opinion. Superb finish designed to rival the S&W Model 29 for which it was a competitor to.

Accuracy? Depends on the load, depends on crown, depends on cylinder alignment etc. More than likely better than you can hold. My new models will make them touch at 20 yards. Can I make them touch? Sometimes, most times not. I don't shoot the old models that much. Safe queens.

Typically on an old model the presence of a turn ring means it was mis handled. Old models should not have turn rings. Do a search on the manual of arms for an old model, but it goes like this:

Hammer to half cock
Open gate
Load a round
Skip a chamber
Load 4 rounds
Close gate
Hammer to full cock
Gently lower hammer onto an empty chamber.

Something like that.
Always take hammer to full cock never from half cock forward.

With a new model you will always have a turn ring. The timing comes up between the leads of the cylinder latch slots. On a old model the timing should bring the cylinder lactch up at the beginning of the slot lead.

The only know issue is the same issue all single actions had till the advent of the new model Ruger's. Always keep an empty chamber under the hammer.

They are fine guns. True classics.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
That too was my first single action Ruger and it is fine in all regards. Mine recently shot 2.5" groups at 50 yards with the first handload I tried in it. They advertised several improvements for the Supers and mine happens to have the high polish blue and virtually every surface is perfectly matched unlike most other Ruger Single actions where they don't have the same amount of fit and finish put into them. I have a Flat Top that I have recently aquired that I like just as much but for different reasons because in reality it does not have the same amount of labor into it to perfect it. All OM Rugers are cool but the high polish Supers are pure eye candy and a joy to shoot. I paid 550.00 for mine and I would pay it for every one I can get in that condition. Good deal even though there seem to be alot of them showing up as some need the cash for around the 500 range when they recently were as much as double that price at times.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice find! It's hard to beat an "old" Super! The other's have shared the pertinent data.

$470? You did just fine! Shucks, I gladly paid $500 for this old dog..

12471545.jpg

:D

flatgate

375_H&H_Mag

Bearcat
Here is a link to the auction and some pics:

I was initially worried that the drag line present indicated that it had been shot alot, but the general condition of the gun seems to be inconsistent with that notion.
Nevertheless, it looks like a fine piece. Tell me what you think.

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply and to those who will. Forums like this are extremely helpful, entertaining, and just plain fun.

375_H&H_Mag

Bearcat
Hey Fellas,

I have a 686 S&W that I shoot 357 magnums in and find the recoil very pleasant, and mild. It has a 4 inch barrel. In this big SBH, with factory loaded 44 Magnums, how do you think the recoil will compare? I am sure the 44 will still kick a bit harder, but in that heavy, long barreled gun it should not be too bad, eh? Even twice the recoil of my 357 with full magnums would still be quite easy to deal with. The only 44 mag I have shot was a desert eagle gas operated auto and it jumped more that kicked.

Cant wait to shoot this beast. :wink:

I just hope first shot it doesn't whawp me in the forehead :shock:

Although not a handgun, my 375 H*H Magnum surprised me. It is an old BRNO ZKK-602 and it did not kick as hard as it is made out to. Hope this piece will be fairly pleasant to shoot as well. I can always shoot some 44 specials :roll:

wwb

Hunter
375_H&H_Mag":a07wfw8m said:
....... I have a 686 S&W that I shoot 357 magnums in and find the recoil very pleasant, and mild. It has a 4 inch barrel. In this big SBH, with factory loaded 44 Magnums, how do you think the recoil will compare? .......

No comparison in recoil between a DA and an SA. The "plow handle" grip on the single action results in a "roll" rather than a "punch". The muzzle goes up, and the whole gun rotates..... makes for a little longer second shot revovery time, but as far a recoil, it's pussycat - even with 300 grain rhino rollers.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I think you got an excellent deal on that gun. My OMSBH is a bit rougher and I paid a little more, but its a second year production and came with a mahogany case that may be worth more than the gun... :)

I also have a NMSBH that is a more accurate gun, but the trigger and action are so much better on the three screw guns its no comparison. Ruger builds the finest single actions on the market, you can beat them until they turn plum and they'll keep on clicking.

Howdy 375-
That's a good buy on a great gun. The turn line on the cylinder wouldn't be there if the previous owner had followed the rule to always pull the hammer to full cock from the half cock. The line happens when the gun is not cycled properly. If you watch the cylinder latch as you cock the gun, you should see the latch pick up and hold until just before the hammer comes to full cock, then pop back up just at the beginning ot the notch leade. If it drags on the cylinder at any other time, it may have issues internally.
Let us know how she shoots once you get the chance to take her out on a date!

375_H&H_Mag

Bearcat
Jimbo1096,

Yeah -- I hate it when someone doesn't operate a firearm the correct way. At least I think it is correct to do everything possible to preserve the beauty and functionality of a piece.

One of my pet peeves:

Storing a bolt action rifle with the bolt cocked. YES, I am anal about such things and don't apologize for it. Some may care less, but I LOVE my guns and baby them. Albeit, I do realize that for some, the gun is a tool not a showpiece and I respect that - it is their money. However, I try to think of mine as "tools with class and beauty" and treat them as such.

I hope shes a good shooter too. Hopefully a little easier to be accurate with than my 4" smith 357. I shot today (with the 686 smith) at about 25 yards and did a five shot group of about 2.5 inches offhand with it. Not marksman by any means, but improving. The sights, being large and square seem to limit me. I learned on thin bladed front rifle sights and the big square sights seem unnatural and less precise. It is designed as a duty weapon though and not a target gun.