Three Screw Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Still have a few around... LOL
Thinking of selling this old used but not abused .22 Single Six, to buy a Wrangler Birdshead.
Unconverted and shoots like it should.
#8083x
I have been out of this too long, so wondering what it is worth..
Any help would be appreciated??
Tks much
HD

Attachments

• Ruger Single Six OLd 3 screw one.jpg
    Ruger Single Six OLd 3 screw one.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Ruger Single Six OLd 3 screw two.jpg
    Ruger Single Six OLd 3 screw two.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 142

contender

Ruger Guru
Bob, you know that condition plays a large part of all gun purchases. That, as you know is a strict "shooter grade" gun. Value is greatly affected by it's condition.
It's made prior to the advent of the .22 magnum,, so the bore is the smaller diameter,, and therefore often quite accurate.
And it has that oh so sweet 4-click action that makes shooting OM's so much fun. The Wrangler is the NM action.

Still, a shooter grade gun like that, is going to be hard to nail a solid price on. The RENE Guide says a nice one is about $500. The current market isn't much higher in general.
If I were looking for a good solid, all original, non-converted Om to use as a shooter,, to me, in my very humble opinion, I'd say it's worth about $325-$350.

G2

Hunter
I think these old well used guns are a real value. I ran across this gun a while back and the owner was going to cut the barrel, re-blue, and was asking what rubber pachmayr grips to order.
I offered to buy the gun as is and he could buy something more in line of what he was looking for. I paid $260.

52191328419_7912ea3c47_c.jpg

Had a Stainless Old Army GF w/ Super Trigger and some Old Eagle Grips, purchased off EBay, looking for a project to use them on. Cleaned everything up, and this gun can shoot.

52191559300_96d0519b37_c.jpg

I think your 1957 Single Six has 65 years of good honest enjoyment and whomever acquires it will end up with a awesome honest real world Sixgun.

My opinion ~$300 +/-$50

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the comments !!
For those of you that do not know me, I collected Rugers for over ~45 years.
When I retired 15 years ago, I sold most of them, basically OM three screws, including a complete Flat top collection, with three or four consecutive digit examples..
I have hung on to a few of the old shooters, just because, and lately have been kinda' hankering for one of the Wranglers.
May just buy one, and hang on to this old girl too.
Cheers,
Bob

contender

Ruger Guru
Bob,, it's ALWAYS good to hear from you. (PS; We are all gonna be at OGCA in a few weeks. You should visit. Even if you don't display,, we'd LOVE to visit some more! Maybe RR, Dan, & I can coax you into another elevator,,! :D )

I think you'd be wise to just buy a Wrangler,, and after you get it,, shoot it some,, and then decide if you need to sell that OM .22.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I own both, orig SIngle Six & Super SIngle Six old models 4 click , with extra cylinders. They are great. I also own a Wrangler, which for what you pay is a very nice revolver too(IMHO) They all shoot about the same, because I am doing the shooting! LOL, : )

Attachments

• Single Sixes.jpg
    Single Sixes.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • Wrangler.jpg
    Wrangler.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

Johnnu2

Hunter
I was wondering where hdonlybob had gone... Welcome back; glad you're still in the game with us.

J.

awp101

Single-Sixer
TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
May just buy one, and hang on to this old girl too.
If at all possible that's what I'd do.

I bought a Wrangler when they first came out. From a functional standpoint it was just fine but it didn't provide the same pride of ownership as my '68 Super. IMO the only real improvement the Wrangler has is the free spin cylinder pawl but I freely admit to being biased. Hog wallow sights and my eyes do not play well together despite trying a number of different models, calibers and visual enhancements over the years.

If you want one just because you want one, that's reason enough but I wouldn't turn loose of a perfectly good Single Six for it unless I had absolutely no other choice.