Thoughts on rear sights..............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk has been, to me, the epitome of Single Action revolver design. It is a rugged, strong, and accurate revolver, with awesome good looks. Over on the Colt forum I'm not too well received saying the New Frontier is the highest development of the Single Action Army. But good sights are the prerequisite to accurate shooting.

Fora couple of my Rugers I used for hunting/long range shooting, I fitted the old Millett rear sight.

This sight gives a near perfect sight picture, is free from glare or reflections, and is accurately adjustable, and stays set under recoil. I did find one fault, to me, of such sights. The overhang over the hammer with the blade set so far back often caught my thumb is rapidly cocking the gun.

This next sight is from Gary Reeder:

The blade is set forward and the rear face of the sight is rounded so any contact with the thumb allows it to simply slide over the sight base. Like the Millett, it is all steel and positive setting.

The rear face is grooved, and the rounded surface does not continue under the notch, which practically eliminates all glare and highlights. So this sight is what I use on my "Don't leave home without it" Ruger:

Bob Wright

tom black

Blackhawk
Bob,
As always, sage advice from an expert and some beautiful pictures. Thank you sir for posting them.
Tom Black

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Excellent Bob.

Ruger apparently got the message on steel sights; they finally went back to steel sights with the cast in bird currently used.

Just FYI, I also like the higher hammer and found that the New Flat Top Blackhawk hammers have the right size larger base to fill the gap between the back strap 'ears' on your Super. The large frame FT 44 and 41 Mags have the right height for the Super, although the mid-frame FT hammer will work as well.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bob Wright said:
Over on the Colt forum I'm not too well received saying the New Frontier is the highest development of the Single Action Army. But good sights are the prerequisite to accurate shooting.
Yeah, they seem to forget that Colt did it over 100yrs ago with the Flat-top Target. Can't believe anyone would actually consider the New Frontier to be ugly. :?

Moey

Bearcat
Hi Bob, nice rig! What kind of holster in the pic. That's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Moey said:
Hi Bob, nice rig! What kind of holster in the pic. That's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

The holster is the No. 1 Shuck, from Mike Barranti. I opted to have it made with no retaining strap/thong.

Bob Wright

Latest posts