Thoughts on carrying a Ruger Single Action...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul B

Hunter
Normal carry is a Colt Commander .45 ACP in an IWB holster. Back up gun is an S&W J frame .38 Spl. in my right front pocket. Two spare magazines and two speed loaders for spare ammo.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't cary a Colt SAA or similar revolver should should the situation require it.
Paul B.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I carry one of my NAA Minis , a lot. Purely because they are a very compact carry gun and I can carry it IWB in nearly any clothing. I usually carry one as a backup but sometimes a primary.

I've carried guns like my Birdshead Vaquero .45 ACP in an IWB holster , and others but it's not very often.

I started keeping the "cool" guns on the range and carrying my Glock .380 and 2 spare mags with much less bulk, weight, and more rounds if needed. It's a tool, it's job is to fire bullets if I ever need to protect myself with it. I'm not a Glock-o-phile but I know it will work , it doesn't need a lot of maintenance and it's lived in the Don Hume leather IWB holster I've had it in for probably 5 years now. If I need it , it will fire. 2 things sold me on Glocks.....first was my time as a Nuke plant guard, where we carried Glock 22 .40's and they always worked. Mags were constantly kept loaded, and they always worked for the annual qual. They received no maintenance, they were carried in all kinds of weather and only fired once per year.

2, was the Iraqi police I saw with Glock 19's, and they turned them in to us at the FOB gate to come in and the guns were brown with caked on dust and sand. they never cleaned them. We would hear them using them to shoot feral dogs all night so they definitely worked. I have no affection or bond with my Glock carry gun and it's probably better that way. When I carry a favorite Ruger I catch myself "protecting" it from getting banged on stuff, getting sweated on, and all that. The Glock will just have to take whatever daily carry dishes out. I don't worry about it, at all.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
You have to weigh all the options

If you're dressed for church and wearing a sport coat, that gun is kinda part of your wardrobe. If you can dress around it and you feel confident, go with it

I can carry my .45 ACP Birdshead in a pancake holster under a button down shirt, but it's a lot of Iron to walk around with all day for 6 shots of .45 that I have to thumb cock , and a slow reload

The NAA at least gives me a micro size carry gun that trades having to rely on 5 rounds of .22 Stinger for a convenient, light carry gun that I hope I can grip and cock under stress. Reloading this under duress is not an option.

The Bearcat is no longer a carry option for me. A single action the size of an SP101 with 6 shots of .22 LR is not a good tradeoff

My main fear with carrying a single action is that I have to rely on thumb cocking , under extreme stress and hoping that my brain remembers what gun I'm carrying when I'm in full Fight or Flight mode . I'd rather have something I can pull and just squeeze the trigger. The less extra movements the better for me

The Redhawk .44 snubby hides nicely under a longer shirt and if I'm wearing pants or shorts with a belt. The tradeoff of the weight and bulk is 6 shots of .44 Magnum that gives me more defensive capabilities when I'm driving. Which I almost had to use this gun for last summer.

The Glock 42 .380 with a spare mag is a good all arounder. It's slim , light, and carries nicely in almost any clothing. If I need more than 13 shots of .380 and I'm still alive, and there's still a threat that I can't get away from, there's probably going to be guns laying on the ground by then because I must be in a running gun fight . As a regular guy just walking around , 13 rounds fired would be a lot of shooting.

Attachments

• 20230513_235318.jpg
    20230513_235318.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230514_000431.jpg
    20230514_000431.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230513_235133.jpg
    20230513_235133.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230511_140043.jpg
    20230511_140043.jpg