Thought somebody might be interested

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
That gun, serial number 50,000, should normally have a flat loading gate, but Ruger had a habit of holding back guns with even serial numbers such as 50,000, 100,000 and so forth. He would use them as present to famous people and gun writers and such. I would bet that that gun was held at the Factory and when it was shipped the Factory replaced the Flat Loading Gate with the Round Loading Gate that was being used at that time. I understand that the Factory would replace the Flat Loading Gate with the Round Loading Gate, shortly after the introduction of the Round Gate, for guns return to the Factory for repairs. So for a gun shipped shortly after the Round Gate was being used, it would be used instead of the Flat Gate. It would be interesting to know the shipping date of that gun.

unusual that a gun in that "nice" overall shape would have a rear sight that looks like it came out of rusted up version of the same style of gun......hhhmmmmmm, close up appears it was changed at some time..............hammer marks on the side of the sight...................
as well as a more than average 'turn line" for an "old model", looks like the typical line of the new models ................................cylinder & sight "clean up" (TLC) it would be a nice looking firearm.

That era of single sixes have a light greyish bluing with a matt type finish the loading has a different coloring & higher gloss finish & as Dan stated about the rear sight I would suspect that it was changed out after the factory. IMHO. Nice old gun.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Darn! I missed this one. Would have gone nicely with my late-shipped #5000 that also has a round gate.

RSS-5000-late-ship.jpg~original

The 5000 gun also has walnut panels and a dimpled ER button that are inconsistent with the serial number. Ruger kept it around until the Big Move from the red barn into Lacey Place when they sold off a lot of extra stuff they had been hanging onto.

RSS-5000-letter.jpg~original

In my opinion, this would have been the first Spanish engraved gun except there is a casting flaw in the topstrap on the left side. That's just my unsubstantiated theory as to why the decision was made to start the Spanish guns at 5100.

street

Hunter
As it was shipped in Dec. 1958 then the round loading gate is probably right from the factory.