thought I'd broken my Dillon SDB today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trying to burn some rainy day time by loading a few more 9mm sub-sonics when I noticed an occasional failure to de-cap. Soon, it was getting worse until I decided something was wrong/broken/malfunctioning.
I pulled the powder measure and turned out the de-cap stem expecting to find a broken pin. Lucky me- the pin retainer was just loose and there was a piece of primer cup wedged on the pin. 10 seconds with needle nose pliers and I was back in business. Not sure how the primer cup ended up stuck on the pin as it would have been inside a case but at least I didn't break the pin. That reminds me that I should check my spares kit to make sure I have extra pins.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's always a good thing to find your fears are unfounded. Even when we know Dillon will replace broken parts.
I bent a decapping pin about a week or so ago,, and I had a spare. I ordered another pack of them,,, as I found I was out after replacing that one.

Just finished loading 500 Federal HST 147 grain sub-sonics for the suppressed PDW(those HST's expand impressively @ 900FPS). Starting on another 500 a wee bit hotter using Hornady 147 XTP.
Man, you load a lot of rounds per pound of powder when using only 6-7 grains per charge.

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
Dillon sent me a New powder measure that I dropped
& broke! I just sent them the broken one and here come a New one! Dillon is GREAT.....!

Contender got me on the Dillon bandwagon several years ago after I inadvertently bought someone else's headache SDB. Dillon sent me all the parts I needed to rehab the machine w/o a single balk. The tech even complimented me on my ability to dis-assemble and assess the worn/broken parts.

AZ Pete

Bearcat
might replace the tool head friction plate if the problem reappears. That is what Dillon recommended to me, when I had the same problem, and it worked.

Mobuck - "Man, you load a lot of rounds per pound of powder when using only 6-7 grains per charge."

When I was shooting PPC in the late 80's, early 90's we would load the .38 Specials with a 148 gr hollow base wadcutter over 2.5 grains of RedDot and a Federal #100 primer. It gave us just over the minimum fps of 700 required and a pound of powder would load about 2800 rounds.

Latest posts