Those short Hornady .45-70 cases....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Well getting setup to reload about 50 of these short Leverlution cases I have.
Will be using my 405 gr. Laser Cast bullets with either IMR 3031 or Unique powder,like my other loads.
Since the base of the bullet will be .055 closer to the charge,but still a large case volume,should I go down 10% on the load data I use for my standard length cases?
I'm loading the others at a low to medium load.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
10% down sounds like a reasonable amount to reduce the charge although different powders might make a difference also. If you could chronograph a few or judge the recoil next to some factory loads you could be sure you were in the ballpark for what you want before loading up 50 of them. :D

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Hornady puts out a load manual. I have one but but it is not handy at the moment.
Check their trim length data and their suggested loads. They may only list loads for their gummy tips. I can look tomorrow if I don't forget.

Mus408 said:
Well getting setup to reload about 50 of these short Leverlution cases I have.
Will be using my 405 gr. Laser Cast bullets with either IMR 3031 or Unique powder,like my other loads.
Since the base of the bullet will be .055 closer to the charge,but still a large case volume,should I go down 10% on the load data I use for my standard length cases?
I'm loading the others at a low to medium load.

Are these "Trapdoor" class loads? If so, I'd be hard pressed to believe that 0.055" is going to make a noticeable difference in velocity or pressure. I might bump the charge down by 1.0 grain to start with, but it's probably unnecessary.

If these were full-on Ruger #1 class loads, I would back it down 10% and work it up.

Latest posts