This will make you cringe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heard this on the radio coming back from town today. Some man somewhere in his will, left his gun collection to be sold and the money donated to an animal shelter. So, this man had a collection of 1200 guns dating as far back as the revolutionary war. Some auction house bought the entire collection for $6000.00 that was donated to the animal shelter.

That's right, they paid $5 a piece for those guns. That poor guy is probably rolling over and over in his grave. That tells you one thing. Before you die make a list of all your guns and the approximate value of each gun.

hittman

Staff member
Would if it were true ….

A California auction house ended up purchasing the entire collection for more than $600,000, and soon O'Donnell's sister will present a check for $613,772 to the animal shelter, which says it's the largest donation in its history.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Happens more often that one might think. Grandpa or Great Uncle Clyde croaks and the heirs want nothing to do with the estate--just send the money to _ _ _ _. Many 'auction houses' will clean out the house, move the stuff, conduct the auction, and mail the check--for 60% or more of the selling price. In addition, the auction company or the employees will outright steal the really good items.
The auction business I'm associated with would not do such a thing or I'd crack heads.

vito

Hunter
I keep a list which I update annually with what seems like a realistic price for each gun if sold to a gun shop. I use approximately 50% of what appears to be an average on the gunbroker site. My wife is fearful of guns, dislikes guns, and sadly has passed that inclination on to most of my grown children. I think that if I croaked today she would ask one of my kids to take the small group of guns to the nearest gun shop and see what they would offer. The gun that I have owned the longest, a beautiful S&W Model 19, 4 inch, nickel, bought new in the early '80's, will go to my youngest son who is the only one in the family who would appreciate this revolver. But by then I'll be dead and no longer concerned with what my wife does with the rest.

If you (or your heirs) go with one of the well known firearms auction houses, they (the auction house) has a reputation to uphold and if the person contacts them and shows that they do know the approximate value of the collection, there is much less chance of any skulldugery happening. My daughters have already been told to contact Poulin Auctions if it comes to that.

Bad Barlow

Single-Sixer
If you (or your heirs) go with one of the well known firearms auction houses, they (the auction house) has a reputation to uphold and if the person contacts them and shows that they do know the approximate value of the collection, there is much less chance of any skulldugery happening. My daughters have already been told to contact Poulin Auctions if it comes to that.
This thread shows the pitfalls of quoting what you read on the internet. If another member hadn't corrected the misinformation ,it would have been passed along as "fact".
Verify,verify, verify!

This thread shows the pitfalls of quoting what you read on the internet. If another member hadn't corrected the misinformation ,it would have been passed along as "fact".
Verify,verify, verify!
I didn't read it on the internet. I heard it on the radio. Maybe you should read a little more carefully yourself.

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
Verify,verify, verify!

I didn't read it on the internet. I heard it on the radio. Maybe you should read a little more carefully yourself.

Perhaps Bad Barlow was referring to someone potentially quoting your post on the internet, caryc.

That’s where I read the misinformation… ;)

You posted something that was incorrect, and you owned it. If you edit the original post, maybe putting a disclaimer on it, it’s a non-issue, IMHO.

I don’t think Bad Barlow was busting your chops… he was just pointing out how quickly/easily misinformation can be spread.

Bad Barlow

Single-Sixer
I have a listing of all my guns and their approximate value as of right now. I do update as necessary. I am getting older as are the guns.
Perhaps Bad Barlow was referring to someone potentially quoting your post on the internet, caryc.

That’s where I read the misinformation… ;)

You posted something that was incorrect, and you owned it. If you edit the original post, maybe putting a disclaimer on it, it’s a non-issue, IMHO.

I don’t think Bad Barlow was busting your chops… he was just pointing out how quickly/easily misinformation can be spread.
Uncle Howie, you have it right, I did read the post correctly, I was referring to the ongoing spread of misinformation. through

Latest posts