This moose stuff is gettin old...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I mentioned a few moose moments I had this winter...
well... I had 2 more..um 3 more... Last week on a supply run, I had just gotten to the place in town where I get off the river. It is an empty lot between to occupied lots, designated as "public access".
As I moved through the lot I was about 20 yards from the road, which was obscured by a large snow berm. I noticed what looked like ears protruding above the berm, right next to a notch in said berm, where snowmobiles could pass through. Sure enough a head appeared...
I stopped my sled, and shut it off, to decide my best option. I thought momentarily about buzzing through fast, but the chances of the moose moving into the way and causing a mess was to great. I decided that turning around was best. My small yamaha bravo has no reverse.. and besides, I had a freight sled behind me..
I only had my eyes diverted from the berm a moment, but when I looked up, the moose.. (a young bull)... was suddenly on my side of the berm!! Not only that it was walking towards me. Now the trail is only as wide as a snowmobile... I didn't have time to muscle the machine around, nor put my snowshoes on and tramp out into the deep snow...
I'm pretty bummed out at this point... Now.. I am surrounded by houses, and having to shoot a moose here was not what I wanted. Beside, it wasn't charging, but it was walking deliberately.
I drew my 44 and proceeded to walk back down the trail back onto the river.. Looking back (all the time).. the moose was gaining on me and showed no signs of changing course....
I had no option but to pick up the pace... Imagine an olive drab southpark kid, trying to run, on a mostly solid, but not really... snowmobile trail, trying to put space between me and my nemesis... I must have looked pretty ridiculous... I stumbled up river a 100 yards or so to another trail which leads to the neighboring lot, which is private property.. It was one of those better to ask forgiveness moments...
Fortunately the moose stayed on the river. I circled around and got back to my little snowmobile.
If you thought my trials were over, you'd be wrong.. 1/4 mile from my destination, I ran into another moose on a narrow tree lined trail. Fortunately this one let me turn my snowmobile around and I resorted to plan B..... (go into town and call my ride to meet me at the post office)..
I would have taken pictures, but I was kinda busy....
This run, I ran onto a cow and calf bedded down in the road, (same road and area) between me and where I needed to go.. This time I was able to turn my bravo quick and go back down the trail to the river. I ended up using the same trail as before.. Hoping the owner would forgive my transgression.. The moose were between that drive and the one I exited the river on, so I squeaked by....
I'm getting tired of moose.....

woodsy

Blackhawk
Having had a house in VT for 25 years, and talked to several residents of that state, I gently believe that moose are by far not the most intelligent of the mammals on this planet. My advice is to always try to avoid any interaction with that animal, whenever possible. Unless one has a .45-70 and wants to harvest some meat (legally, of course).

contender

Ruger Guru
It's good you were able to avoid any direct confrontation that could have resulted in your injury or the death of a moose needlessly.

I enjoy these "moments" you share,, as I can tell some of the mansy-pansy wimps around here they have NO clue about what a rough life can be like.

Keep sharing your "adventures."

bobski

Hunter
always remember, we humans encroached into the mooses home. the more we do, the more youll see them.
I have 55 turkey in my yard twice a day because of a 400 acre industrial park that went in next to us.
not the turkeys fault they are looking for food in the yard!

Some years ago, we were camping outside of Yellowstone National Park in WY. And it was raining. But my wife and I woke up to see a large moose about 100 yards away staring at us.

I’m not sure if Moose are colorblind or not, but my rain jacket was bright red. As I walked back and forth you could see him turn his head. I suppose I would have been his target, perhaps I need to learn to run faster than my wife.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
bobski said:
always remember, we humans encroached into the mooses home. the more we do, the more youll see them.
I have 55 turkey in my yard twice a day because of a 400 acre industrial park that went in next to us.
not the turkeys fault they are looking for food in the yard!

Since the dawn of time a superior species has always been displacing inferior species. To say we are wrong for "encroaching" on their home is to ignore the natural order of things. Animals that create problems are to be eliminated not pandered to.

Good job Reuben! I got lessons in moose behavior when I worked in Anchorage, Alaska. In the winter the moose came to town, they would dig through the snow and eat the begonias around St Elias Hospital. There were automatic doors, and the Security personnel had an air horn to scare them off when the tried to enter the lobby.
gramps

RCA1504

Bearcat
As city folks move to the woods, to get away from those like themselves, the first thing they do is burn and clear. Wild animals do not live is a city park like environment. Our managerie just grows and grows as critters move to our tree farm to get out of the way, of “progress.”

jasper661

Bearcat
I lived in Alaska for 23 years, only had one unpleasant encounter with a moose. A young bull had taken up residence in a cleared off area by a small utility building along the Glenn Hwy. just above Chickaloon, that belonged to one of the telephone companies. It had rained and there was a hard crust on about two feet of snow. Moose don't like to walk through the crust, it cuts their legs. This guy was protecting "his ice free spot", once I retreated out of the clearing he was fine. I carried M80s in my patrol car, just for the purpose of scaring moose off the highway. They did not seem to object to the sound as much as the smell of the smoke from the fireworks. On another occasion one of the troopers I worked with was driving to Tok from Glennallen, and came on a big cow moose in the road, again a crusted snow situation, he tried the loud speaker, the siren, and blowing the car horn all to no avail, she just refused to get off the road, he tried to go around her, and when he got up close to her she let loose with both back feet, and did about a thousand dollars worth of damage to a brand new patrol car.

Over the years I was there I had hundreds of interactions with moose, most of the time they are pretty docile and no more dangerous than range cattle. There are several instances of people domesticating moose and using them for farming and skidding logs. They are interesting animals, sometimes the best defense is to get a tree between you and the animal.

A final note, snow machines emit a whole range of sounds in audible to the human ear, that are particularly annoying to moose.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
I've run into moose on a couple occasions deer hunting. In the woods there are plenty of trees
one can just slip behind and moose will rarely pursue you anyway. They are big and dumb!
We have had them looking in our window of our home on one occasion! They certainly can kick the crap
out of you! ps

Last edited:

One at a time

Bearcat
As to the part mentioned about humans moving into their territory. Actually the moose move into residential areas, in the interior of Alaska during the winter to get away from the wolves and as mentioned above, the deep crusty snow that cuts their legs. By late winter they do not want to leave the areas that they can move about easily.

Latest posts