This is for you ROA owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I got a low number SS ROA , the nipples in the cylinder are not hex . They look like standard ML nipples . Have they been replaced or are they original :?:

pix151506812.jpg

Kanook

Buckeye
I think those are Treso nipples.

None of mine have that as described from the factory. All the way from 72 and up.

robhof

Bearcat
Those are definitely aftermarket nipples, but if not bronze color, then not Treso. All of the early ROA's that I've seen came with the Ruger nipple wrench and it only works with the hex type nipples, but the threads of the Ruger nipples aren't unique and knowing the twist and length of the thread someone could replace them with aftermarket other than Treso.

Kanook

Buckeye
They are SS not brass colored
Glad I only said I thought they were. hard to tell colour when looking at a picture instead of having it in my hand

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
The don't appear to never been fired and I inspected super good , when I seen the nipple change . I got it for a shooter not a collector anyway , there no gas cutting on top strap and the forcing cone no signs on it either. If someone cleaned after firing it , I would like to see how he did it and what he used ... WHY the nipple change .... :?:

G2

Hunter
Mine is SN#646, so just a little later, they are Hex and I know for a fact that is the way it was born.

Now I purchased a Brass Grip framed gun XXX-10XXX and it had little round washers under the nipples. Hammer didn't hit the nipple but I had never seen that before. The nipples were shot, it now wears a new set. :D

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Kanook":2z8agjdx said:
They are SS not brass colored
Glad I only said I thought they were. hard to tell colour when looking at a picture instead of having it in my hand
I wish they were Treso .. I know you couldn't see the color , but it was a super answer , most people don't know what Treso are ....

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
mykeal.....Yes they look like the ones in the gun . Why would someone replace them and never fire the gun ? Believe me I can't any signs of it ever being shoot

G2

Hunter
Tx gun runner":1bvkkwh8 said:
. Why would someone replace them and never fire the gun ?

Maybe the nipple's that came with it became the new nipple's for another gun that needed them and was being shot.
With the idea one could replace them at a later date.

Who knows... just a guess/ thought.

Kanook

Buckeye
Or they had a hard time making the nipple look new again and changed them thinking the new owner wouldn't know the difference ;)

mykeal

Single-Sixer
Curious.

The nipples on my unfired SS ROA are stainless and have the hexagonal base, so I'm sure that's the OEM standard. They aren't Treso Ampco so they won't last forever, but they surely won't wear out before the hammer or chambers show signs of being used that can't be erased.

Very strange indeed.