Thinning the herd as we age

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alamogunr

Bearcat
I haven't even considered "thinning the herd" as long as things that would go into the dumpster when I'm no longer around are just sitting there. I've started selling off my excess lead and have a way to go. Out of 2+ tons, I'm working thru it. A few books are also in the mix to go. Several have appreciated in value since I acquired them.

At 80, I know I have several guns that would bring a good price but I had rather pass them on to the two sons. They can make the decision what to dispose of.

oldcrab

Bearcat
I've already thinned mine out a few years ago.... I only thinned out the ones I never use, and really never should have acquired them!!
I don't like stuff just sitting around and collecting dust for no reason.
I'm happy I did the thinning!!

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
In the last two years I've been selling guns that were unused or safe queens. I narrowed my keepers down to concealed carry, secondary sidearms for hunting/in the field use, rifles and shotguns for hunting and an AR-15. Gone are the had-to-haves, the deals-too-good-to-pass-up and most of the duplicates of calibers that I regularly use. My herd went from north of 40 guns to five handguns, 5 long guns, an AR-15 and 3 shotguns. .38, .357, .45, .22, .223, 30.30, 30.06 and 12 gauge are the calibers I kept. Gone are the .40s, the .44s, the 9 mils, the .270s, the 7 mm mags, the 22.250s, the .243s, the 20 gauges, the black powders and many duplicates of various configurations. I invested a good amount of the proceeds in reloading supplies.

It just seemed silly to me to hang on to stuff I no longer (if ever) used. Ammo is abundantly available for the calibers I kept. A couple of family heirlooms along with some tried and true shooters meet my needs. All the rest became surplus inventory taking up space. A number of my friends think I am crazy to offload guns: others (who got some good weapons at fair prices) wanted more! 🤩 I've done the same with other possessions such as tools, antiques, vehicles, and other toys and such, and it feels good to downsize as I get older. Less clutter, less cleaning etc.

I'm curious if others here feel similar as they get older, or if they are content with keeping the "spoils" of their life.

Peace and God bless.
No

I did sell a PCC I wouldn't shoot often and my son didn't like and bought one we both like.
Agreed. I have some guns I look at and wonder, why the heck did I buy that in the first place? Some of those are going to get sold and replaced with guns I would rather take to the range and shoot.

And this quote. It's a bit simplistic, but absolutely the truth.
But something to consider is that probably all the the firearms are inflation proof and a few I have will increase in value above inflation. Selling a gun worth $100 today during 10% inflation means in a year the cash is worth $90 and the gun sold would be worth $110

dannyd

Blackhawk
After I am gone home I want the Pawn Shop guy to say; " These guns are no good they are all shot out smooth bore"

I work on this daily as I can. last night :)

B58DBD6A-F9CB-4FB4-869A-64AA493BB648.jpeg

Joezilla

Bearcat
I turn 69 in a week. My herd is not that big. I gave one to my oldest daughter. The younger daughter doesn’t want anything to do with me plus she hates guns, so none will be going her way. I probably only have about 15 to start with. The one I like the best is my new bedside gun….a Glock 19x.

Joe

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I too have been selling stuff and going to sell a lot more. Right now, none of my kids are very interested in shooting/collecting. They have a few of their own guns and I will offer them what they want of mine, and sell most of the rest. I bought my first handgun, a Ruger NM 6.5" .41 Mag. Blackhawk when I was 16 years old. $119.00 and $10 for first box of ammo. At the time, beside a .22 rifle, and a Trapdoor Springfield, that was the only gun I owned. I started reloading and shot at least 200 rds a week. I got to be a very good shot. As the years went on (now 50+ years), I bought more and more, traded more and more, and my shooting ability declined. Instead of shooting one gun and being an excellent shot, I was shooting multiple guns and became just an average shot with most of them. Some I only shot once every year or two. Also, having the beginnings of arthritis in both hands the enjoyment of shooting some handguns has diminished greatly. I have been mostly shooting .44 Special, .45 Colt single actions. I can shoot a couple of hundred rounds out of each and not have any pain. 50 rds out of a .44 Magnum and I hurt quite a bit. One other reason, my brother who is 5 years older, and I talked at length deciding at this time in life memories are more important than are possessions. Since limiting my shooting to about a dozen or so firearms, I am enjoying shooting and reloading much more. I load one load for .44 Special, one load for .45 Colt, one load for 45-70 (Trapdoor velocity loads), and the equivalent of 150 gr. Ball ammo for my Garand and 03 Springfields, I just check my powder throws every 10 or so rounds. I cut down on what primers I need, what powder I need, and what bullets I have to keep on hand. I honestly never thought I would get to this point, but as I said, I am having a lot more enjoyable time shooting now than I have had the past 40 years.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
I have a friend with a gun shop that has hundreds of old hunting rifles sitting on the shelves. I'm waiting til the grand can drop a dove or squirrel with a firearm their Great, Great, Great Grandfather hunted with. Or learn on their Great, Great Grandfather's marlin 22 that still drives tacks. I have a few that I have acquired that I will probably sell or gift at some point. Not anytime soon.

I'm 73 and been giving a lot of thought to thinning the herd. I'm concerned that the younger crowd aren't as fond of single actions as lots of us here. I have more single actions than anything. I'll offer some (and shotguns) to family members however my son is the only shooter in the family. But I am definitely keeping my Gold Label, Red Label, P345, SP101 and a few single actions.

Last edited:

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
I’ve only gotten rid of 1 weapon in my life - a PPK/S that was a jam-o-matic. I should probably look at culling the herd. My son isn’t into guns. He’s a reliable shot with pistol or rifle but just not into it. My daughter is an excellent shot and gets great pleasure from improving her skills behind a scope. She’ll probably end up with most of the weapons eventually. I have a nephew who is “into guns” but he’s reckless and probably won’t end up with much, if anything. I find greater pleasure these days pushing the Ruger American 22 bolt action to its limits than the various 308s or 30-06s.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I had a bunch of Ruger’s but no more all are in my grandson’s hands now including all of my reloading stuff we still have a few house guns.

tazbigdog

Blackhawk
Damn, I’ve been doing this for years. I haven’t completed the 12-step program, as when stuff goes, more come back it. 😂

Selling my 4 BNIB black powder pistols and then sees what happens. Still have a New Vaquero Birdshead that wants to fly too.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Got rid of a few a couple years ago and have a bunch more that'll go soon. Not one for the whole "quantity" thing - more doesn't really impress me. For the most part, I know ymson has little interest in them so why put it all on him when I can sell them off now and use that money to go and have trips, experiences with him instead.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I’ve been thinning my herd a few at a time by giving them to my grandsons. This way they stay in the family and will be a memory of me when I’m long gone. I don’t sell my firearms.
Same here.
I’ll turn 78 next week.
I have gifted about 2 dozen or more long guns & handguns to my kids & grandkids - shotguns, lever guns, bolt action guns, ARs, pistols & revolvers in .22lr, .380, 9mm, .38 Special, .357, .45ACP, .44 Magnum, .30-30, 5.56, .243, .30-06.
Even bought them safes.

Still almost that many to go, plus about 20 antique handguns & long guns. Gonna buy them a couple more safes.
It gives me pleasure to do that for them, and they all appreciate what I am doing.

whittsailor

Single-Sixer
Im getting older and sold a Colt CCO just the other day to help fund my 74 Pontiac Trans Am restoration. I was pretty surprised to get almost what I’d paid for it several years back.

It was just taking up room in the safe and I figured I might as well sell it instead of leaving it to my sons who’d just sell it cheap. Neither one has an interest In firearms, but there are still a few left they’ll inherit.

buckaroo

Banned
I don't know if this thread is depressing or sad. We've got a living cemetery right here on RugerForums, preparing to die.
It's hard to read all of this.
I'm going out with very little because that's all I've ever had and hopefully not waiting around to die or being carted off to the home.

Take note you younger cats, this is your future. 20 years on a gun forum telling stories while stroking your safe queens. And by the time you reach the living cemetery it will be Airguns and you will have elected Don Jr.

Last edited:
Buckaroo - I understand your sentiment about this topic. Yet, I also vividly recall the joy from my grandfather (a month before he died) gifting me the old Stevens .22/.410 over/under that he taught me to shoot when I was 4. And I happily recall the Colt 1911 in .38 short (sold in 1920) that my father's cousin left me in his will. [He was a WW II Atlantic tin can sailor, and avid bass fisherman. He and I went fishing 4 or 5 times every year until he died at age 75.] I've gotten equal pleasure from gifting both of those weapons to my eldest son - an Army Blackhawk pilot and excellent marksman. So I prefer to envision making someone happy by gifting to them a weapon that gave me pleasure - passing along the happiness.

ole442

Single-Sixer
Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Any gun I've ever sold off I have regretted....except one! At my age, I've thought of selling others off.

I have sold off some actual 1950's toys that I've lost my arse on! I am selling off automotive collectable parts and other things to put towards the 1972 442 that I'm trying to finish before I expire!

Time is rolling on by!