Thinking of shooting in my basement thoughts .

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I practice with an air rifle in basement using BB's or pellets shot into a phone book or two. You can shake out the BB's to be reused, the pellets and their dust stay in the phone book for the most part. The "real" rifles are only used outside in my life.

Years ago, a number of us spent countless hours firing on a military indoor range. And hours casting bullets in the anteroom. I mean we shot thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) of full military .223, .45, and handloaded center fire pistol rounds with cast lead bullets. Then, higher HQ decided to shut the range down. "How come?" we asked. "Lead poisoning danger," we were told. So, those of us who had shot the most (and we figured were therefore the most exposed) went and had blood lead levels drawn. All in normal range. Lots of hype is exactly that--hype.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Simpleminded Rob":1cbwrlzj said:
Years ago, a number of us spent countless hours firing on a military indoor range. And hours casting bullets in the anteroom. I mean we shot thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) of full military .223, .45, and handloaded center fire pistol rounds with cast lead bullets. Then, higher HQ decided to shut the range down. "How come?" we asked. "Lead poisoning danger," we were told. So, those of us who had shot the most (and we figured were therefore the most exposed) went and had blood lead levels drawn. All in normal range. Lots of hype is exactly that--hype.

One thing to consider though, the "normal" range for an adult male is many, many times the "normal" range for a child or pregnant woman.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I just bought a Ranch style home with an unfinished basement. The thought did cross my mind about shooting in basement, but I was thinking more along the lines of a high quality pellet pistol. Their is noway I'd shoot an actual gun in my basement. I suppose I could build a silencer out of pvc and steel wool for the Mark III and procede to pollute the air in my house with lead and other contaminants,but I think I'll pass. :lol:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Simpleminded Rob":31bh53f1 said:

If you have any documentation about that time at the range keep it, you may need it in the future with the VA. Just because you did not have elevated blood lead levels does not mean that harm was not done. Lead binds in bones and as we get older it is later released.

We recently lost a range master that had worked 8 hours a day for 20 years in our now closed indoor range. Sadly he had gone on a diet and the quick weight lost released accumilated lead which directly caused his death.

Simpleminded Rob":3sqzz54i said:
I too had to shut down my Squadron's marksmanship unit due to the unavailability of ranges. We shot just about everything inside in a very well ventilated range but the 'powers that were' decided it was not safe. I too was tested and nothing abnormal was found. As you said; "Lots of hype". Being politically correct was never anything I was ever accused of. I complained to everyone I could but to no avail.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
30 yrs ago, when I lived in snowy/frozen central BC, I fired many, many boxes of .22 CB longs in the basement. The noise was barely heard upstairs and not by any neighbors. Sincerely doubt that I'm harmed by any lead exposure, but then again I didn't shoot until I smoked the place up either! Like many things nowadays, just use a little of that "uncommon" common sense. The stress of worrying about it is far more likely to kill ya than any "lead exposure" would IMO! Of course these days, if one was to die of lead exposure, the lefty libs would tie it to owning a handgun so I suppose so you might wanna worry about that.. :lol: ....FWIW, Dennis (Who has also been casting and handling lead bullets for decades too with ventilation. I'm sure if I get sick, B. Hussein will save me... :shock: )

don44

Hunter
Bucks Owin":1fdq3e78 said:
30 yrs ago, when I lived in snowy/frozen central BC, I fired many, many boxes of .22 CB longs in the basement. The noise was barely heard upstairs and not by any neighbors. Sincerely doubt that I'm harmed by any lead exposure, but then again I didn't shoot until I smoked the place up either! Like many things nowadays, just use a little of that "uncommon" common sense. The stress of worrying about it is far more likely to kill ya than any "lead exposure" would IMO! I'm sure if I get sick, B. Hussein will save me... :shock: )
Uh huh, sure he would. :roll:

Well,
I'm almost 67 so I grew up with all the nasty stuff, lead, asbestos, and I even ate fish out of Lake Erie.
Ya got to die of something so have a good time until ya do. Shoot the crap out of your gun in the basement
My neighbor was a NRA 3 Gun shooter and a Masters Champ at it.
He shot down his hallway in his house into a bullet trap.
Lead didn't kill him but bone cancer did at 70.
Jim

jpickar

Blackhawk
I say have a good time and enjoy your shooting. Be smart and safe.

Don't let the lead worries get to you. Lead is toxic, BUT NOT VERY. It is highly over exaggerated by the gov.

Just another gov. scam going on here just like radon gas. Radon gas went from no one ever hearing of it to be the no.2 cause of lung cancer with NO evidence of such.

I think the real issue is ventilation due to a lot of shooting and local ordinances.

John

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Well 50 plus years ago I shot hundrds of .22s in the basement. My dad, brothers and I cast bullets, sinkers, lead soldiers, ingots and iron pots full of lead whenever we had time. Sometimes shot small pistols, up to .38 spec. Made some noise. Folks upstairs got used to it. Smelled good to me (almost like "napalm in the morning" I guess.) House is still there but probably comtaminated as heck. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it. Probably kill me one of these days. Gerry
PS. Don't eat the stuff.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Way back in the late 50s-early 60s we would go to the ROTC armory range at lunch time usually eating lunch, may have shot-rifle or bull or coach a young shooter. Later would attend afternoon classes and go to work for couple hours after classes.

Come early 2000s I took the RSO course and found that one should:

Never eat while/where shooting is going on,
Change clothes after shooting,
Wash hands w/ COLD water after shooting

WOW we did it all wrong and no one died, that I know of.