Thinking of selling again

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
If you sell them yourself and ship them through a dealer who has his books audited from time to time by ATF, expect to get a phone call when they see your name over and over. That's how I ended up having to get my FFL. I would constantly be upgrading my collection pieces to higher condition and/or lower serial numbers and culling the ones they replaced. Two agents came and talked to me at my house for several hours. When they left, I thought I had convinced them that I was just a collector, but a couple weeks later, they called again and said they needed to hand-deliver a letter that I had to sign for. It was a cease and desist letter stating that their conclusion was that I was operating as an unlicensed dealer and to stop selling guns until I obtained a FFL of my own. I got right on that and had my license about 9 weeks later.

I didn't bother arguing the point that they intentionally truncated a paragraph from the regulations that they quoted in their letter. In the actual regs, it goes on to say something to the effect that "this does not apply to a collector selling part or all of his collection". I didn't argue because I had planned on getting a FFL one day anyway so I could do it as a small business after I retired. So now that I am retired, I have my FFL as planned, but I ended up having to get it 11 years early. The problem with having a FFL is that you need to show that you are using it and moving firearms, and to call it a viable business in the eyes of the IRS, you need to show a profit. So it becomes more like work and less like an enjoyable hobby.

Oh, I asked them what the threshold was for them to consider a guy an unlicensed dealer. They said it wasn't written down anywhere but their rule of thumb was no more than 3 guns per year. That only applied to selling, not buying.

krw

Blackhawk
Most nights, I chk the No Reserve auctions on GB. I am telling everyone, Good Pics can make or break an auction!!! And everyone cannot take good firearm pics and I am one who cannot. I do not know them nor have I ever had any dealings with them, but Woodlawn Boys on GB have the pic taking and description writing down. I have no idea what they chg but they do an oustanding job and as a result their auctions bring top dollar

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
My local gun shop takes in consignment guns and offers them for sale in the store,AND puts them on GunBroker. They do a nice job on GB with photos and seller descriptions.
In your case, they could parcel them out individually or small related groups.
With reasonable minimum bids, you'd still get the occasional bidding war.
I'd ask for references .

,,,,,I will say it it pretty tough to put all of ONE kind ( model) into groups of any kind when in fact they are EACH a "variation", ergo, the "alphabet" bearcats???25 different letters ( no "O" as it was too close to a "0") and with almost 100 of them,,,wow,,,this will and would be , a "tough nut to crack..." tough, no matter who or how you will do it, taking me years to move "some" of Lauras' Ruger .22's. and all through word of mouth and gun shows, many of them Ruger 'theme" shows,,,and when crossing state lines, gotta go through FFLs.......as I said earlier ONLY a very few 'auction ' houses we have seen that did good, even decent, with any Rugers and RIA was NOT one of them,,,Bill 's family got screwed and not even kissed..........Good luck Ray.......;)

44Squatch

Single-Sixer
I remember that auction and that gun. I spotted it in the catalog and looked it up in the Ref beforehand so I knew what it was. After it cleared the high estimate, I assume it was just me and the ultimate buyer going back and forth on it until it went over my preset limit and I let it go.

So it was the infamous WMG, one of those within the definition of "Big Dog", that I was battling against.
I'm honored …. and struggling for lunch money.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I looked back at my pre-auction bid limit for that S gun and see it was bundled with a BKH47 in about 90% condition. I put a $4K value on the lot, $1K for the flattop and $3K for the S46 "S" gun. In order to stay under the $4K after premium and shipping, I had to bail out at $3250. I was willing to go to $3500 but was out of synch and my next turn would have been $3750, which seemed too far over. I figured I could have sold off the BKH47 for $1100 or so.

My consolation prize was a boxed .17 HMR x .17 M2 convertible Hunter with a scope.