Thinking Back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Born '55, A flip top zippo was was pretty cool, smoking or not. A switchblade comb was the cat'sss a...

It was shocking to discover that nostalgia about the 1980's was a thing .

Actually, in some cases I can get that, too. My boy, born in 1986... We lived in a fairly small town, but on the edge of farmland. My boy and his friends would spend many long days in the fields behind our house, building forts and climbing trees. The fields are now subdivisions, but my boy is telling the stories of his childhood in the endless rural countryside.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Born in Sept. '43. I was remembering when my grandmother flew to Hawaii for a vacation. Propeller plane of course. We walked out on the runway with her to the plane, and we were allowed to go as far as the bottom of the stairs that led up to the cabin. This was not some small airport, it was LAX.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
"Born in 1937. Grew up in the country. Real "ice boxes". A .25c cake of ice fit perfectly."

FM,
Even thou we lived in town, well it had a population of 835, we also had an ice box.
The reason was that after the war the companies had not caught up on civilian demand yet in 1945-47. Kind of like 2021 :)
Remember Kids would play in the discarded iceboxes and end up suffocated in them do to getting locked in?

We still have one
View attachment 3870
Nice piece.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a late 'Blumer", born in '57 but grew up in a rural community and well remember rifle and shot guns on the racks of the rear window of pickup trucks and no body locked them or their houses.

“You will run faster and jump higher, with PF Flyer”
“Should a gentleman offer a lady a Tiparillo?”
“Some times you feel like a nut, some times you don’t”

kcsteve

Bearcat
Well I guess you were an exception. But you did miss out on smoking corn silk in a hand made corn cob pipe or a cheap store bought pipe:) We also smoked dried reeds from the river bank.
Did you ever smoke Indian Tobacco or a Trumpet Vine seed pod?

graygun

Hunter
My brother got me hooked on Marlboros when I was 12. I quit 23 yrs later. I was born in 49.

I used to swipe stuff when younger.

We all did pretty much the same things.

kcsteve

Bearcat
Born in 1937. Grew up in the country. Real "ice boxes". A .25c cake of ice fit perfectly. Party line telephones..nosey neighbors listened in any time the phone rang. Our entire furnace was coated in asbestos. Schools didn't close because it was hot; we just turned the fan up one more speed. Swam in the creek and made jokes about watching out for "floating cigar shaped debris". When visiting anyone's home their mom was your mom and generally were treated the same. Kids played outside or in the woods. You came home when the sun went down. In school we played dodge ball; before it became "dangerous". If you really sucked at a sport you didn't get chosen to play . . . you watched the other kids play. Everyone didn't get a trophy. Second place meant that you were the first loser. All the kids actually walked to a bus stop, my stop was about a half mile up the road. Everyone got on it at one place, unlike today where there stop at each house. "Yes Ma'am, no Ma'am, yes Sir, no Sir" were the way you spoke to an adult; no matter who they were. I was taught that men held doors for ladies; not because they were ladies but because you were a gentleman. Times have certainly changed.
Now days, some women can have a beard and a johnson!

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Great thread! Born in 51 myself. Truly had some great times without all the wonder electronics of today. I too enjoyed the trips to the corner store for 5 cent candy bars and 10 cent bottles of tooth decaying Coke. Remember the .89 cent jackknives they always had and the fun we had stickin em in the ground. BB guns were always my dream and a Daisy 25 cost $9.95. Spent some great times in the woods. Glad I was around for those great times in the 60s and would not trade them for anything these days.

whymhot

Bearcat
Great thread! Born in 51 myself. Truly had some great times without all the wonder electronics of today. I too enjoyed the trips to the corner store for 5 cent candy bars and 10 cent bottles of tooth decaying Coke. Remember the .89 cent jackknives they always had and the fun we had stickin em in the ground. BB guns were always my dream and a Daisy 25 cost $9.95. Spent some great times in the woods. Glad I was around for those great times in the 60s and would not trade them for anything these days.
everything was cheap then i should have bought lots of revolvers.

eveled

Hunter
It was shocking to discover that nostalgia about the 1980's was a thing .
I’ve always been fascinated by time and how some periods of time seem longer than others disproportionate to the amount of time that actually passed.

Case in point. The Bryan Adams song “Summer of 69” it came out in 1984. Only 15 years after 1969! It seemed like 1969 was sooo long ago. Yet 38 years later 1984 seems like yesterday.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Born in 1944 into a military family, so I grew up in places like San Antonio, (Fort Sam), Killeen (Camp Hood), Fort Leavenworth, Fort Brooke (in the old El Morro fortress- San Juan, Puerto Rico), St.Louis, Taipei (Taiwan), and in Austin, Texas & Mexico after Dad retired. Spent a lot of summers with my grandparents in their rural Missouri hometown of 150 people.

Did & saw most everything mentioned in this thread, and made sure my three sons (born ‘68-‘72) experienced many of them too while living in an Austin suburb.
We were lucky to have such a good upbringing, but at the same time there was a large segment of our population that was denied some of those good things.

My grandkids had it pretty good for the most part except for one son being divorced while his twins were very young, and another son being widowed and left to raise his two young boys. I am grateful they did a fine job and provided good, loving homes for them. They grew up in a different world, but have turned out to be good people.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As to ice boxes, my mother was careful to pour the water from the ice box into her flower beds. She always claimed that the water from the melted ice was infused (not her word, by the way) with whatever chemical used as a refrigerant, and this made the water better for her plants. Never questioned her, as she had the "green thumb."

Bob Wright

Latest posts