Thinking about the SR45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I recently have been seeing a few videos on the SR45 and I really like the pistol, no shop up here has them or is even a Ruger dealer. I am used to the Glocks but have never been a loyalist when it comes to them. Being in NY high cap mags are worthless to me so the 10 round SR45 is fine. Has there been any issues with these guns as far as quality control?

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Not owning a .45 but being the proud owner of the SR9C I can honestly say the SR9C is one great little sidearm. And that from a guy who owned a Glock and didn't like it! As far as the quality control issue, I have zero complaints with my SR9C. However ...

Having worked in quality control in a production facility [not firearm related] I can tell you that, generally speaking, the "quality" of quality control depends on the whether or not production is keeping up with demand or falling behind demand. If orders are piling up the name of the game is production production production and more production! The pressure is on to get the product out the door. When production catches up with orders, the name of the game now becomes QUALITY CONTROL ALL THE WAY.

Can't say that does or doesn't apply at Ruger or at any specific gun company. But as a reader on several gun discussion board I can tell you that a lot of gun companies have been having a problem keeping up with production. But take it for whatever you think it's worth.

One more comment ... Customer service at Ruger is absolutely top notch.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I own a glock, and SR9c and SR45, as well as some other brands. I have to say that the ergonomics on the SR series pistols fits me perfectly and are my most comfortable guns to shoot. I have never had any reliability issues with either SR pistol using a variety of factory loads (CCI, federal, pmc, winchester white box, underwood, and buffalo bore). I really feel that SR45 is hard to beat for the price.

Ammo First

Bearcat
Did ruger have any running changes or upgrades to the SR-45 since it was released? Did it come out around Jan. 2013 ? Thanks

Armybrat

Buckeye
Ammo First said:
Did ruger have any running changes or upgrades to the SR-45 since it was released? Did it come out around Jan. 2013 ? Thanks

Bought my SR45 in late February, 2013. I haven't heard of any changes or improvements since then.

My SR9 and SR45 are very good guns and great values. Both pistols are early production guns - got them when they first came out.
The SR9 had a light strike problem during its first range session, but a good cleaning of the striker channel fixed that. No issues with my SR45, except the slide won't lock open after the last round on two of the three magazines. The 3rd mag functions perfectly and the gun shoots better than I do.

Gave the SR9 to one of my sons, and the SR45 is my HD bedside gun.

If Ruger brings out an SR45E, then I'll buy one of those for a travelin' pistol.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Armybrat said:
Ammo First said:

If Ruger brings out an SR45E, then I'll buy one of those for a travelin' pistol.
Even better would be an SR45c!

Al James

Hunter
planetcat said:
Armybrat said:
Ammo First said:

Even better would be an SR45c!

I'll second that! I have been waiting [not even close to patiently] since the SR45 was introduced. I write Ruger every couple months asking, requesting, demanding, all to no avail. :oops:

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I have purchased eight SR series pistols since they were introduced. three were gifted to family members, five belong to papa. the last one is the SR45. it may be the most reliable and accurate 45 I own. the list includes multiple other manufacturers pistols that cost more than double, and one triple the price of the SR45. issues? zero. all I have done to them is remove the mag disconnect. that is a "feature" I do not wish in any of my guns.

Ammo First

Bearcat
That's nice to hear. Do the magazines seem consistent? That's the one issue that keeps coming up.

I am looking hard at the SR45 to buy, I read an article tonite American Rifleman review that the SR45 had strong recoil, first time I have seen that.Anyone who owns one want to weigh in with your experiences?

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I am looking hard at the SR45 to buy, I read an article tonite American Rifleman review that the SR45 had strong recoil, first time I have seen that.Anyone who owns one want to weigh in with your experiences?
Strong recoil is subjective. I don't think it recoils any differently than a glock 21, which is similar in dimensions. Maybe a bit more than my kimber custom II 1911, which is heavier than the polymer pistols. The grip on the sr45 is very comfortable for average man sized hands.

The person doing the review alluded to the gun literally raising up when fired,I have average to large hands, and never have had a problem holding any pistol I have fired,and I have shot 10mm which recoil sorta strong.I think I will base my choice on past shooting performance ,the Sar k2 which I have shot is heavy but,it is quick to bring back on target for a second shot, not the least of which it holds 14 rounds if you want it too.A year ago or less I saw it on line for around 300.00 even, should have bought, leery of an unknown entity.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I do not own one; but spent an afternoon shooting with a friend who had one about a year ago. It shot very well and ate everything we fed it. Fits nicely in the hand. No issues with recoil but I shoot .44 mag for hunting.
Based on that limited experience, I would not hesitate to buy one.