Thinking about glass bead blasting my SRH....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Has anyone got a pic to share so I can see what it would look like? How does the finish hold up long term?

I would probably leave the trigger and hammer polished as they are now, and leave the sights black, of course.

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
John E Davies":2p94mc5e said:
. . . Do you have any idea how the finish holds up? I like the look....

John Davies
Spokane WA
John, when I had my SRH 480 customized, my gunsmith informed me that the slightly less expensive bead blasted finish would suffer holster wear quickly, that it was nearly impossible to restore without reblasting it. He recommended a brushed hard chrome finish. While slightly more expensive (the largest portion of cost is preparation of revolver's metal. And this cost is essentially identical for both finishes.), brushed chrome lasts indefinitely and can be restored with ScotchBright.

Hope this helps.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Naphtali":2ps172ug said:
John, when I had my SRH 480 customized, my gunsmith informed me that the slightly less expensive bead blasted finish would suffer holster wear quickly, that it was nearly impossible to restore without reblasting it. He recommended a brushed hard chrome finish. While slightly more expensive (the largest portion of cost is preparation of revolver's metal. And this cost is essentially identical for both finishes.), brushed chrome lasts indefinitely and can be restored with ScotchBright.

Hope this helps.

Yep it helps. Cost is a non issue since I have a blast cabinet and media in my garage, but I would not want to have to do the job every year to keep it looking nice.

I have bead blasted aluminum alloy engine parts in the past and left them "raw", and they usually stay looking nice at least 5 or 10 years if they are kept clean. I wasn't sure about stainless steel....

Thanks for the comments.

John Davie
Spokane WA