Thinking about getting an automatic knife-need suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Please elaborate on why you believe a knife should be carried point up? All mine are carried point down, and we function great.
gramps
I'm not Yankee_Papa, but I'll give it a shot. I'm brand new at carrying a knife with a pocket clip so take this with a grain of salt.

When I clip either of these 2 knives in the coin pocket of my jeans they're point up. When I remove them with my index finger they come out in the exact position in my hand to open and use them. If it were even possible to carry them point down I'd have to turn them 180* in order to open them.

I am actually more of a blade guy than a gun guy. First, let me say that it is important to know what type of steel the blade of. You might try knifeinformer.com or simply google steel types to get a listing for each and best uses. While I have folders, I think of them as backups. Full tang ixed blades are much sturdier. folders depend on that one pin.
All that being said, when buying a knife, I hearken back to the words of Xaviera Hollander: " There are no thousand dollar hookers, only thousand dollar johns.". Anything over $150 for a folder and you are paying for a name or status. Fixed blades are almost like mini-swords in value, a completely different story. So: Don't over-pay, and learn about the steel. I have seen top brands put out an over-priced crap knife.

aciera

Bearcat
Hubertus.........John Wayne in Big Jake.
A very nice strong reliable knife.
If this has been mentioned......I didn't read 4 pages.

Lots of GREAT info in this thread. I would love to get an automatic knife, to be able to get it open with one hand if I'm working and only have one hand to get to it to use it. But, alas, I'm in PA and they are illegal for the average peon to own, even if you never take it out of your house or off your property. That said, their are groups working to get them legalized and if we can get a decent Governor elected the legislature would probably change the law allowing it. So I guess I won't mention any thing else about getting one and just wait ;)

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
Please elaborate on why you believe a knife should be carried point up? All mine are carried point down, and we function great.
gramps

It's not a belief ... It's a fact.

The Kalashnikov is a switchblade, not an OTF (out-the-front).

A switchblade should be hanging inside your pocket, closed, with the point up. As you pull it out of your pocket the knife is in the proper grip, your thumb is on the button, and all you have to do is press it.

If the knife is closed with the point down, you would have to turn the knife around to push the button and grip the knife.

It is for that reason many switchblade makers will advertise it as hanging from the clip with the point up.

Last edited:
If the knife is closed with the point down, you would have to turn the knife around to push the button and grip the knife.
Is this a right handed thing? I don't have an automatic knife, but being left handed, I can imagine reaching into my front pocket, and pulling out a knife. If it were "point up", I would have to turn it around. If it were "point down", all I would have to do is straighten out my wrist.

Am I visualizing that correctly? I guess it matters which side the button is located. Or which finger you use to activate the button.

aciera

Bearcat
You should read the 4 pages, there is a lot of good information here. I know I learned a lot about knives and different steels.
I will.......just checking quick.
I'll read the whole thread. And I won't lose it if I post quick. I'm old. Lol
A true Italian made Stiletto.......a real one is amazing also.
Have a good one!!!!

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I like the Kershaw made in the USA Auto's. I've had these since they came out and carry
them daily. They sharpen fairly easily and keep an edge well. The action is easy and positive.
Dano
DSCN2458.JPG

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
This 13" Frank Beltrame Italian switchblade , 6" bayonet blade, is too long to carry in my pocket comfortably. I'll have to make a leather holster for it.

There are no knife laws in New Hampshire.

Attachments

• Springfield 1911A1 + Frank B Switchblade Stiletto.jpg
    Springfield 1911A1 + Frank B Switchblade Stiletto.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 91

aciera

Bearcat
Lots of GREAT info in this thread. I would love to get an automatic knife, to be able to get it open with one hand if I'm working and only have one hand to get to it to use it. But, alas, I'm in PA and they are illegal for the average peon to own, even if you never take it out of your house or off your property. That said, their are groups working to get them legalized and if we can get a decent Governor elected the legislature would probably change the law allowing it. So I guess I won't mention any thing else about getting one
This 13" Frank Beltrame Italian switchblade , 6" bayonet blade, is too long to carry in my pocket comfortably. I'll have to make a leather holster for it.

There are no knife laws in New Hampshire.
Just like that. Quality is hard to find.

Fact: with the point down, it comes out oriented properly for me to open one handed. I tried one point up, and it didn't work for me. It is great we have choices. I have really enjoyed this thread. There are a few things you can never have too many of. Flashlights, Guns and ammo, and knives IMO
gramps

Cholo

Staff member
Well, I just can't stop. When I bought the teal Kershaw the guy told me they were getting in a shipment of the Zero Tolerance 0022's, the one I'd already bought, but with a copper handle. Thursday night they had them on their website. Oh-my-goodness! Gorgeous! I really like my carbon fiber Zero Tolerance 0022. Now with a copper handle? I wondered why copper and not brass.

Their showroom was closed Friday and the weekend so I slid over there today. It weighs a full ounce heavier than the carbon fiber one I have, but it still comes in under 3oz. I'll take it.

I've never had knife fever. Does it go away, or do I even want it to. My pics don't do it justice at all.

Cholo

Staff member
I'll still shop around for knives. Like the Kershaw Launch 9 in teal, they were the only one on the net I could find that had them in stock and ready to sell. I kinda regret not asking for a cool low serial # being they're so new.

Last edited:

Mike J

Hunter
I have a few inexpensive automatic knives I bought long ago. The only one I have that I consider somewhat nice is a Boker Top Lock I bought at a gun show years ago. I believe someone converted it to be automatic. I've always been a bit nervous about carrying it in my pocket though as it doesn't have any kind of safety. The button is somewhat recessed but I could see it very easily getting bumped & opening in my pocket. It did come with a very snug fitting nylon belt sheath but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of having an automatic knife.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all!

Well, I bought one and it's nothing like I was originally looking for. One thing is, though. I wanted a high quality knife.

"I'm not looking for the the best for the $. I want top notch."

Once I considered assisted knives it opened up a whole new world :cool: outlaw_dogboy mentioned Zero Tolerance knives and I looked them up. My first impression was that there was no way they'd be worth what they were asking. The more I dug the more I realized--they're really hard to beat! I wanted a knife that was a thing of beauty. It boiled down to 2 of their knives, 0770CF 3.25" assisted blade and 0022 with a minuscule 1.8" manual flipper blade on a ball bearing.

I don't have much room in my everyday pockets. Wallet and spare magazine in my left front pocket and, in warmer months, a gun in my right pocket. I do like small knives because I can put them in the coin pocket of my jeans and it's always there when needed. I still couldn't make up my mind. I just ordered the smaller one, and I have a feeling I'll be getting the bigger one for cooler months. It will do 95% of what I expect a pocket knife to do, and it comes with the highest quality steel blade. It wasn't cheap!

I didn't buy it here, but here it is.

Well, I just can't stop. When I bought the teal Kershaw the guy told me they were getting in a shipment of the Zero Tolerance 0022's, the one I'd already bought, but with a copper handle. Thursday night they had them on their website. Oh-my-goodness! Gorgeous! I really like my carbon fiber Zero Tolerance 0022. Now with a copper handle? I wondered why copper and not brass.

Their showroom was closed Friday and the weekend so I slid over there today. It weighs a full ounce heavier than the carbon fiber one I have, but it still comes in under 3oz. I'll take it.

I've never had knife fever. Does it go away, or do I even want it to. My pics don't do it justice at all.

Oh, you got the "bug" real bad.... I'm almost sorry I mentioned Zero Tolerance to you. In my case, they have tended to multiply like rabbits. Those are some NICE looking knives, though!

It's not a belief ... It's a fact.

The Kalashnikov is a switchblade, not an OTF (out-the-front).

A switchblade should be hanging inside your pocket, closed, with the point up. As you pull it out of your pocket the knife is in the proper grip, your thumb is on the button, and all you have to do is press it.

It is for that reason many switchblade makers will advertise it as hanging from the clip with the point up.
So, I will totally agree with you that an automatic or assisted should hang in the pocket with the tip up, it isn't because of it's position coming out. I always prefer this because then the spine of the blade is against the seam of the pocket (unless you carry it toward the front of the pocket... but I've never done that). In that orientation, while you may still be able to activate it opening in your pocket, it is likely it won't open completely. It at least reduces the chance of you cutting/gutting yourself.

But I have never understood your description of removing the clipped blade from your pocket. No matter how deeply I reach into my pocket with my thumb, if the carry is tip-up, I have to shift/slide the knife in my hand to grip it properly to open it. If I carry a knife tip-down, then I can grip it from the pivot, or pivot end, retrieving it from my pocket. Then it is a quick rotational shift of my hand, and everything is perfect for opening.

In either case, I have to reposition the knife. But I find rotating it in my hand to be less risk of dropping it (more secure grip of the knife, even if only by a couple fingers) than trying to slide the knife in my hand to get the proper grip.

I can only chalk it up to the case that the people that prefer tip-up for the reason you say have significantly larger hands that me.

Latest posts