Thinking about getting an automatic knife-need suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I looked on most all of the knife websites. I found www.bladehq.com to have the most info. Benchmade does make some really nice knives.

BTW: I paid far less than the $220 price in my link to Blade HQ.

I didn't know much about blade steel and still don't, but I know more than I did LOL I did wonder why 2 knives from the same makes varied so much in price. It was the cost of the handles/frame and what blade steel was used. Here's a guide so you can see if the blade steel in a knife you might be interested in is considered budget, mid-grade, high-end or premium. Scroll down slightly from the top:

mistermills357

Blackhawk
Not about switchblades, but small knives.
I have a Victorinox knife that is almost ridiculous in its smallness. I can hang it on my key ring, and it can be really handy.:)

I had a very small, plastic handle Gerber that was razor sharp, and as tough as nails. It got caught in the spin cycle of a washing machine, and came through it a little worn down, but otherwise it was good to go. And it was made with a 440 stainless steel blade, and very easy to sharpen.

Last edited:
Some states outlaw the assisted opening knives. Illinois used to be one of them. The penalty for having one was the same as illegally carrying a concealed weapon. That law went away in Illinois when they finally passed CCW legislation.
Yep, that made all of mine legal. But you need a Illinois Firearms Owner's card to legally possess one. Not a CC permit, just the ID card.
If they amended the law again I would appreciate knowing.
Edited to mention that this is regarding full action switchblades.

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
Here's an update. I said in post 34 "Kershaw: Made in USA--very important to me. I'm open to assisted knives. This is the auto I liked. I'm so sick of black stuff. If they still made it in blue I'd have already bought it."

I looked and looked and every site said the teal Launch 9 was either out of stock or it was discontinued. Last night I got a hit on a place called knivesshipfree at www.knivesshipfree.com/kershaw-knives-launch-9-teal-aluminum-stonewash-7250tealsw The website said they were in stock and ready to ship. I checked to see if they were legit. Yes. I'll bet they're located in the Pacific NW. Nope, 21 miles north of me, and they have a walk in showroom!

This teal color either looks great, or a really lousy green. When I saw it in person it looked great! It's far more blue than green. I'll take it!

I got it home and tried to photograph it. No wonder most pics have it looking green. I think this one came out true to color.

Anyway, this is a nice knife, and it was 1/2 the cost of the Zero Tolerance. The blade wasn't nearly as sharp out of the box as the ZT. It's not quite as smooth either, but 2 drops of oil and it slicking it up just fine. If all fairness, it does have more moving parts. It's a super nice knife!

This was the 1st one I wanted in post #34. One single place I found had it it teal and it was right up the road. What are the odds!

Now, I saw one they had called The Claw that I really liked... :)

hittman

Staff member
You ride your scooter up there to pick it up?

Record high 91 degrees here today.

Cholo

Staff member
Yes, they have a very good reputation. It's quite automatic! I'd say from the time you press the bullseye button and the blade if fully engaged is about .25 seconds. It pops! It's easy to get a good grip with your middle finger on the pocket clip. I really like it.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Yes, they have a very good reputation. It's quite automatic! I'd say from the time you press the bullseye button and the blade if fully engaged is about .25 seconds. It pops! It's easy to get a good grip with your middle finger on the pocket clip. I really like it.
Hi Folk's, back in March I had my 16 yo Grandson in from So. Illinois. We were passing House of blades in Lake Worth (TX) & he wanted to ck it out. I'm always looking for left handed knives & have been searching for a strictly LH Auto. They had one! I picked up a Pro Tech short bladed Rockeye. It's really nice-about $220.00 OTD-Dave

Cholo

Staff member
On this knife I tried it lefty and it can be done. Once you switched the pocket clip to the opposite side you'd still be stabilizing it with your middle finger on the clip and pushing the button with your index finger. Be careful where your thumb goes!

Lefties get a raw deal on a lot of things.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I'll go back to some one else's post reminding that not all states allow spring assist.
I like the Cricket (CRKT - M16-03, or similar) because it does NOT have spring
assist. It is legal in all states. It is easy to open one handed, and if you want to work
it half to death can be made to open at the press of the assist "bump".

Should you be called to task for it, you can hand it to the officer (CLOSED) and have
him/her operate it. Problem(?) disappears.

I got the 110 just to add to my collection. Anymore I consider it too big for EDC.
It's a regular Buck 110, but a few years ago for my wife's birthday, I ordered her one of the Buck 110 custom knives.

Their quality is very good. It's got her name and "Happy Birthday" engraved on the blade. I'm impressed by the weight. It's a very hefty knife.

I imagine the automatic is just as beefy. I can't imagine carrying it every day.

My son got a Benchmade auto years ago. He loves it, I am not a fan. I have three assisted opening, I am not a fan of. I have multiple liner locks that open one handed just as fast as either auto or assisted. Good luck in your quest Cholo.
gramps

Get a Boker 'Kalashnikov'. It's very fast and rugged, and has a pocket clip that carries the knife point up as it should. It's probably the most popular switchblade sold in the last few years.

I have the black tanto point. $44.99

Please elaborate on why you believe a knife should be carried point up? All mine are carried point down, and we function great.
gramps

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Knife guys debate point up vs down just like Ford vs Chevy or Tastes Great vs Less Fillingl . It's 99% personal preference . Most of my regular folders are loose in pocket , and the Autos are in belt cases ( to comply with my laws ) . so it's moot to me , nor do I have a strong opinion on the topic of up vs down .

A cpl yrs ago , I circled it in catalog , and for whatever the occasion was , got a Buck 110 with S 30 V steel , to try out a " Super Steel " . The version with synthetic handles was on sale , but I circled the Rosewood , because a Buck 11x folder is Supposed to be Rosewood ( in my mind)

On the Buck topic , more recently acquired an Automatic 112 . with the regular 420HC . The vendor had the Autos in S 30 V also , but were more $$ than I cared to spend .

On the exotic ( to me) steels topic . acquired an OTF with D2 blade . and cheesey design on the handles . But was the only one he had with D2 and plain single edge .

As implied , I get my automatics in person at gun shows . and have gotten to know a couple of the quality knife dealers . One of the dealer on one of my circuits also has an extensive selection of automatics , but haven't purchased an Automatic from them yet . Guns yes , regular knives yes .

eveled

Hawkeye
It's a regular Buck 110, but a few years ago for my wife's birthday, I ordered her one of the Buck 110 custom knives.

Their quality is very good. It's got her name and "Happy Birthday" engraved on the blade. I'm impressed by the weight. It's a very hefty knife.

I imagine the automatic is just as beefy. I can't imagine carrying it every day.
I got the 110 just to add to my collection. Anymore I consider it too big for EDC.
I've carried one everyday for over 40 years. I can't imagine not carrying a 110.

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
If it has not been said before, get a Kershaw assisted opener with S30V steel. They are just as fast as any automatic and the steel is one of the best for knifes. Holds an edge for longer than any other knife steel I have used. Much, much cheaper also. I have been carrying one for years. IMO, one of the best knives you can buy.

harley08

Blackhawk
Switchblades are not allowed in my State, So I carry a SOG Flash II.
Opens quick with a flick of the button on the blade. Mine has a partially serrated blade.

Latest posts