Thinking about getting an automatic knife-need suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

paboxcall

Bearcat
I've been carrying a Benchmade Nitrous Stryker every day for 15 years, maybe longer. I did send it for service once when a screw on the pocket clip stripped. They repaired it, cleaned it, sharpened it and sent it back good as new. If I was going to replace it, likely another Benchmade.

Last edited:

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I carry a benchmade 9051 automatic knife. The handle's about as big as a buck and the blade is half serrated. I've been carrying it for around 8 years at this point and it's great.

KIR

Sparks, NV
First of all, find out the difference between automatic and assisted in your state.
My son who was in the Army said that they were issued Benchmade knives. They are of high quality and ( price because they have) a lifetime guarantee which means one can be returned and they will fix it for free.
So, I went out and bought a Benchmade Barrage. It is my EDC! It has the AXIS Assist with quick one hand lock/unlock and opening. It is ambidextrous. The blade is 3.60", .121 thick, OAL 8.35 and closed is 4.75. I especially like the handle thickness .65"
I prefer the Tanto Blade with the serrated edge, but there are other styles. It weighs in at 4.31 oz. It has a reversible tip Up/Down and a Lanyard hole. It is great for outdoor everyday use. No sheath of course as it is a folder.
I highly recommend it. Go out and find one, handle it and see if you don't end up with one.
By the way, in threads about knives, Benchmade will always be mentioned, despite their politics!

Attachments

• Barrage 003.JPG
    Barrage 003.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 102

jimd441

Blackhawk
I have many and unfortunately availability today be spotty. There are numerous good websites and numerous bad ones. I have no affiliation with any, Blade hq has served me well. My recommendation is to look through the sites for what you want and availability. Any questions regarding the model and the seller can likely be answered here.

Jim

Cholo

Staff member
Thanks to all!

I understand someone wanting to carry a larger knife, but it's just not for me. I have one fancy folder with a 3 1/2" blade that weighs 5.1 oz. There's no way I'll carry it. I'm looking at preferably a 2 1/2 -3" blade weighing 2.5-3 oz. I'll carry that.

Benchmade: It's true that all knife threads lead back to them. I don't like the TOS I read. I do remember them cutting up guns for the Sheriff's Dept., though I don't recall them donating to many anti 2A politicians. Thanks, WAYNO, for the reminder.

The auto Microtech UDT that Coyote56 mentioned fits the bill perfectly. 2 3/8" and 1.2 oz. Problem is--out of stock everywhere.

Assisted knives are looking better all the time.

The quest continues...:)

RCA1504

Bearcat
By Fed Law you can not ship and auto, so. Just go to a show and find an auto dealer, look at the models and buy according to your desires and needs. Make sure you get a locking blade, with a serrated hump for your thumb.
Last couple decades I have only bought half serrated blades, work well for rope.
I have owned about 3 dozen, my kids and in-laws keep liking them. So I go someplace and return home to buy another.
PJs carry the big Benchmade auto on their web gear
Florida's CWP specifically allows carry of an automatic.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
If you're now thinking about assisted, that opens a whole new world. Personally, I don't like assisted, but Kershaw makes some great ones. As do they as Zero Tolerance as well. Or at least they used to. I can't say I've actually looked at Kershaw or ZT for a couple years now. I prefer Kershaw/ZT assisted openers to Benchmade. When is comes to closing, I have an easier time of closing the Kershaw one-handed. Because of the mechanism they use, you can close them most of the way, the shift your grip to complete the maneuver. Trying that with a Benchmade usually ends up with it opening most of the way again, and I have to start the process from scratch at least once. Benchmade seems to use a coil-spring, whereas Kershaw uses some kind of spring that is almost like a leaf spring in shape. In any case, it has some freeplay that is advantageous in closing. Conversely, if you don't keep the pivot cleaned, oiled, and adjusted properly on the Kershaw, you can end up with them not firing completely open, as they float that last little bit before opening.

My favorites are knives that have either a similar locking system to the Axis lock, where you can pull the lock back and the knife will fall open; or "flipper-opening" knives, whatever their lock type. With the Axis lock, it is for all practical purposes a gravity-opening knife. That can be bad depending on who sees you do it. When in pc company, I can usually pinch the blade open and complete with my thumb on the blade.

OH, I always remove the thumb studs from knife blades. I can't stand them.

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
Get a Boker 'Kalashnikov'. It's very fast and rugged, and has a pocket clip that carries the knife point up as it should. It's probably the most popular switchblade sold in the last few years.

I have the black tanto point. $44.99

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Fed law has the above mentioned narrow exceptions for shipping in interstate commerce . They are also unenforced , and many of the large internet sellers pay no heed .

As mentioned , sellers at better gun shows , and high end knife dealers in states where legal .

And since nobody mentioned yet , check the laws in your jurisdiction . Where I live , I can carry , but not conceal automatics , so they are in a belt pouch instead of pocket . One neighboring state just changed to match that , another neighboring state is affirmatively 100% legal open or concealed .

harley08

Blackhawk
A lot of Sates outlaw switchblades, Automatic knives.
Get an assisted opening knife, I have a SOG Flash II serated.
Great knive!
Rocko Rizzo

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
There is a slow trend of liberalizing the laws on Automatic Knives .

But Knife Laws vary hugely , usually are vague or internally inconsistent , and almost always different than " what everyone knows " , unless you research the Statutes , AND the Case Law in your jurisdiction .

noahmercy

Blackhawk
The way the federal law is written, automatic knives must be sent via common carrier (UPS, FedEx) if shipped across state lines...no Post Office.

I prefer an assisted opening personally, but to each his own. I favor Kershaw...their Speed-Safe system is nearly as quick as an auto when blade weights are the same, and they have a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and weights to choose from. The Ken Onion designs they produce are made in U.S.A. (at least they used to be). I own three of their AOs, and have given nearly a dozen out as gifts, and nary an issue with any of them in 20+ years. Since Kershaw now makes autos, I'd look at them if I were in the market.

Cholo

Staff member
What great advice!

I'm kinda down to Kershaw per recommendations, but I'm still open. Benchmade seems to make a great product, but they feel that they have to be political instead of just selling quality knives. I will never understand that mentality. The Microtech UDT seemed mighty appealing, but I can't seem to find much of anything they make for sale. Their UDT looked great!

Kershaw: Made in USA--very important to me. I'm open to assisted knives. This is the auto I liked. I'm so sick of black stuff. If they still made it in blue I'd have already bought it.

The Kershaw Leek is high on the list. I'm looking for handles that aren't too slippery.

I have been very pleased with OTF knives from Microtech and Benchmade and there are three Benchmade autos in the drawer now. Oddly enough I don't carry the autos much any more and go with the Benchmade Osborne has my EDC knife. Very easy to open one handed and lighter than the autos.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
What great advice!

I'm kinda down to Kershaw per recommendations, but I'm still open. Benchmade seems to make a great product, but they feel that they have to be political instead of just selling quality knives. I will never understand that mentality. The Microtech UDT seemed mighty appealing, but I can't seem to find much of anything they make for sale. Their UDT looked great!

Kershaw: Made in USA--very important to me. I'm open to assisted knives. This is the auto I liked. I'm so sick of black stuff. If they still made it in blue I'd have already bought it.

The Kershaw Leek is high on the list. I'm looking for handles that aren't too slippery.

I personally am really not a fan of the Leek. I have.... 3, I think. Two frame-locks, one liner-lock. Of the three, I would trust the lock on only one of the frame locks. The other one has really weak lock-up, and if you really grip it, the lock of the frame slides all the way to the opposite scale. I guess you could say that is "trustable," and I would not disagree. But it strikes me as a little lacking in quality.

My liner-locked Leek is OK, I guess. I just have this deep aversion to liner-locks. I have a few (liner-locks) .... never carry any of them.

I have been very pleased with OTF knives from Microtech and Benchmade and there are three Benchmade autos in the drawer now. Oddly enough I don't carry the autos much any more and go with the Benchmade Osborne has my EDC knife. Very easy to open one handed and lighter than the autos.
I really, REALLY want an OTF, from either of those companies. I don't know if they're that practical or strong. But dang, I REALLY want one.

Cholo

Staff member
Thanks to all!

Well, I bought one and it's nothing like I was originally looking for. One thing is, though. I wanted a high quality knife.

"I'm not looking for the the best for the $. I want top notch."

Once I considered assisted knives it opened up a whole new world :cool: outlaw_dogboy mentioned Zero Tolerance knives and I looked them up. My first impression was that there was no way they'd be worth what they were asking. The more I dug the more I realized--they're really hard to beat! I wanted a knife that was a thing of beauty. It boiled down to 2 of their knives, 0770CF 3.25" assisted blade and 0022 with a minuscule 1.8" manual flipper blade on a ball bearing.

I don't have much room in my everyday pockets. Wallet and spare magazine in my left front pocket and, in warmer months, a gun in my right pocket. I do like small knives because I can put them in the coin pocket of my jeans and it's always there when needed. I still couldn't make up my mind. I just ordered the smaller one, and I have a feeling I'll be getting the bigger one for cooler months. It will do 95% of what I expect a pocket knife to do, and it comes with the highest quality steel blade. It wasn't cheap!

I didn't buy it here, but here it is.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
Try KnifeCenter, they have some good switchblades. This is link to a SOG, with a 2" blade. The handle might be too long though. But there is a big selection.

BladeHQ has a bunch of switchblades, priced from very low to very high.

There is a MicroTech OTF money clip auto, for $277, at KnifeCenter.com.

A Pro Tech perhaps? It costs $234, with a 2.3 in. blade. And it has a pocket clip, and comes in a variety of colors, according to the description.
1650722635885.jpeg

Last edited: