Thinking about getting an automatic knife-need suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I know very little about knives, and y'all do! LOL I'm thinking about getting an EDC auto knife, but could be talked into an assisted opening knife.

1) What are the top brands? I'm not looking for the the best for the $. I want top notch.

2) In my short search some of the assisted knives weigh far more than the autos.

3) I like smaller knives. The Gerber I used deer hunting for 20 years had a 2 1/2" blade. Really! I'm looking for something with a 3" max. blade.

4) Which websites are the best to buy from? Or is it best to go direct?

Thanks...

hittman

Staff member
From personal experience, I'd say a Benchmade Infidel.
It's an auto, out the front, double edge. It's a little bigger than I really wanted at 5 inches closed. The blade is 3.9 inches.
Think MSRP is (or was?) a little over $500.00. Usually saw them here around $425. Got mine at a local store Black Friday for $289.00.

Been an excellent knife for me.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
The one I've got says "LIGHTENING" on the blade; Around 2 inches plus. It works with a Thumb push that pops the blade out and pull back retracts the blade. Don't know the brand name or cost, my spouse Ashley gifted it to me years ago and Ashley is now in Heaven since Jan 2019. The knife goes with me every where in a handy back pocket of my jeans.

Coyote56

Single-Sixer
A7C077BA-694E-4680-80CD-9B1DB7B55408.jpeg
8FB1A5CB-A833-4222-8B9B-11BA9CEE48A9.jpeg
DE7433E9-0855-4E94-B2E8-63323A4F5045.jpeg

I'd give the nod to my Microtech UDT (center)

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Benchmade AFO is the only one I've known to be issued to Naval and Marine Corps Aviators. The thing seems tough as nails. As soon as I'm in a position to get an auto, a Benchmade is what I'll get. i've never had a Benchmade of any kind fail me.

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
Cobratec is a auto knife i sale. Small knife with a 3 inch blade runs about $100.00 with shipping. They are assembled in TX and have a life time warranty. I seem to not be able to hang on to a knife , alway loosing it in washer/ dryer , laying it down some place , etc. I hate to get more than a $100.00 in a good auto knife for that reason
MD

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Vito's right about the Kershaw Grid. I bought one after I thought I lost my Dividend and I like it a lot. Inexpensive, and solidly built.

Every now and again I carry the Case Copperhead that was my best friend at work for thirty years. It's just a smooth, nice thing to own. Still "walks and talks" and feels great in my hand. It's gained one or two dings over time but bears Its scars better than I do...

Jeff

I think Benchmade puts out a fantastic automatic knife. But I like something with a little more grip. I like the Buck 112 automatic. It has the shorter blade you are looking for, but I like a little longer blade like the 110. It gives you a handle that you can hang on to when things get active.

badguybuster

Single-Sixer
DO NOT buy a Benchmade Auto knife unless you are active law enforcement or military. If you do and the knife needs any kind of service, Benchmade will seize it and will not reimburse you. It doesnt matter if its legal in your state or not. Its their policy. Im retired Army and a former LEO, I sent my Infidel in for repair (weak spring) and they seized it under that policy. I had to have them send it to my son who is in the Army.

Microtechs are amazing but definitely not "beater knives". I have been using this one for about 6 months. Zero complaints

Cholo

Staff member
This has all been great advice! I have plenty of comments but want to address this first.

Benchmade made me agree to their AKOA--Automatic Knife Opening Acknowledgement, before I could simply put their Mini-Reflex II into my cart for later. It does seem to say that they won't sell automatic knives to civilians. Here's a link to the PDF: https://benchmade.com/media/forms/ako_acknowledgment.pdf It states: "Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:" I'm not one of the exceptions.

The PDF is a really short read, but it won't leave the average guy with a warm fuzzy feeling. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

hittman

Staff member
Some states outlaw the assisted opening knives. Illinois used to be one of them. The penalty for having one was the same as illegally carrying a concealed weapon. That law went away in Illinois when they finally passed CCW legislation.

Some thoughts and experiences...

Automatic knives, although they may be legal at state and/or local levels, they are not so much legal at the Federal level. When I attempted to ship an automatic knife, there were so many caveats, it bordered on illegal to do so. Seems the manufacturer (Benchmade) could ship an automatic knife out of state, but an individual could not. I finally gave up. Additionally, and I did a lot of research, in Oregon, for example, although switchblades are legal to purchase and own in Oregon, they are not allowed on Federal property. Ciphering thru the pages of regulations, it seems that such knives would not be allowed in the National Forest or other Federal land.

And Benchmade... The hardest-cored 2A supporters out here will no longer support Benchmade in any way. The local constable agency, for whatever reason, saw fit to brag on social media their relationship with Benchmade as their partner to destroy confiscated firearms. Benchmade performed some serious back-pedaling to hide this. This may seem innocuous to some, but while we have always petitioned police departments to resell some of these firearms, Benchmade was right there to make the destruction so easy for the police. Further research has shown that Benchmade has been a contributor to some very anti-2A politicians.

My choice is Kershaw. And for me, assisted opening is my choice. I have an older SOG auto. Beautiful knife. My Kershaw Leek operates just as fast as the auto, completely one-handed.

Last edited:

GrandmasterB

Bearcat
Microtechs are awesome, but expensive these days. Kershaw has some fun auto knives at really good prices for the quality you get. Good luck in whatever you decide.