Thinking About A Ruger 44 Carbine For My Dad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
40Gravity said:
I'd like to see the link to the trigger housings. My search on GunBroker didn't turn up anything.

Here you go: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785709156

And even cheaper on Numrich: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/226960

wwb

Hunter
SteelBlue said:
40Gravity said:
I'd like to see the link to the trigger housings. My search on GunBroker didn't turn up anything.

Here you go: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785709156

And even cheaper on Numrich: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/226960

Man, oh, man.... if I had known about that a dozen years ago, I would have bought one to keep on hand, and never would have sold my great old .44 carbine because of the fear it would break and not be repairable.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

I've decided against getting the 44 Carbine as I don't have enough time to take on another project (I should say potential project) at this time. I also think with the full power 44 magnum ammo the recoil will be more than what he can comfortably handle.

I found another Remington model 7 that's identical to my father's current 308 Winchester but in .243 Winchester caliber. That rifle will be familiar to him and the recoil will be acceptable (or I can load "reduced power" ammo for him) so I decided to buy the rifle. I put a deposit on it yesterday and will be going to pick it up on Friday. I also ordered a mount/ring and have a compact Leupold scope around that I will mount on it. By Saturday afternoon my dad will be able to take couple shots with it and get it sight it in for next week's hunt.

pete44ru

Hunter
1ruger said:
By Saturday afternoon my dad will be able to take couple shots with it and get it sight it in for next week's hunt.

Actually, most scoped rifles can be zeroed successfully by shooters other than the end user - or close enough to not matter very much.

If you pre-zero the rifle before handing it over to your Dad for some familiarity shots, he should be GTG with the least trauma/effect to him.

gunzo

Buckeye
1ruger said:
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

I've decided against getting the 44 Carbine as I don't have enough time to take on another project (I should say potential project) at this time. I also think with the full power 44 magnum ammo the recoil will be more than what he can comfortably handle.

I found another Remington model 7 that's identical to my father's current 308 Winchester but in .243 Winchester caliber. That rifle will be familiar to him and the recoil will be acceptable (or I can load "reduced power" ammo for him) so I decided to buy the rifle. I put a deposit on it yesterday and will be going to pick it up on Friday. I also ordered a mount/ring and have a compact Leupold scope around that I will mount on it. By Saturday afternoon my dad will be able to take couple shots with it and get it sight it in for next week's hunt.

Bravo, good move IMO. I figured if you wanted to explore the 44 auto, fine. But I initially thought that if he currently shoots a Model 7, but the 308 is a bit much, then a Model 7 in 243 is the perfect move.
Then...… you mention you could reload for him, another win. The 243 is very capable, & when topped off with a premium bullet, a Nosler Partition for instance, it's ready for bigger game than some folks realize. Better bullets are even bringing the 223 into the deer capable category. Not as a stunt, but everyday success.

There are a lot of baby boomers out there that love to hunt &/or shoot. They are getting older, getting arthritis, rhuematiz, etc. but can continue without getting beat up. I know, I'm one of them.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
There are a lot of baby boomers out there that love to hunt &/or shoot. They are getting older, getting arthritis, rhuematiz, etc. but can continue without getting beat up. I know, I'm one of them.

Very true as I started seeing my father getting "old" after he turned 60.
His hearing and eye sight is poor, doesn't have the strength of youth, occasionally loose balance, doesn't have fine motor skills, etc. Yet, he wants to maintain his independence and still wants to hunt and shoot as if he was a young man...to hold on to the last vestige of his youth. I do my best to accommodate him but at the same time keep an close eye on him.

About a dozen years ago I built my dad an enclosed shooting house about 15' off the ground where his tree stand was for many years. I was afraid of him climbing up ladder stands even with harness on. Then couple years ago I lowered his shooting house to about 10' off the ground when he started complaing of vertigo when looking down from the shoot house. More recently I brought down the shooting house and mount it on some bricks so it's only about 3' off the ground with steps and hand rails. We also cleared some trees and brush so he has a clear shot out to 75 yards from the shooting house on 3 sides as I have doubts about his shooting ability beyond that range. I've also changed his guns over time as some of his previous guns recoiled too much. I changed his 12G Remington Wingmaster 870 with a Remington 1100 in 20G and now his .308 Win Remington model 7 with same rifle in .243 Win. I'll be replacing his Marlin 1895 45-70 with a 1894C in 357 magnum pretty soon.

I just hope my son will do same for me when I start get "old".