Thinkin' about a pair of grips.......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I'm thinkin' I'd like a pair of jigged bone, not plastic, grips much like the ones shown on Gunsmoke. I don't want that "aged" look to them. Any suggestions for makers?

Bob Wright

Here is a real pair (but they have been aged) - no help on who can do this on real stag material. Another pair on an old style Ruger that had been "Colterized". Good Luck. Gary

Attachments

• JigStags3 (2).jpg
    JigStags3 (2).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
What would they look like if they didn’t have that “aged” look to them? I don’t remember seeing any jigged bone (or plastic) grips or knife scales that didn’t have an aged appearance.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
What would they look like if they didn’t have that “aged” look to them? I don’t remember seeing any jigged bone (or plastic) grips or knife scales that didn’t have an aged appearance.

The bone is left white with the bark a dark brown. The aged grips look as if they were soaked/dunked in coffee.

Bob Wright

eveled

Hunter
what do they use to make the “bark” dark? When they wipe off the excess it probably gives the aged appearance to the lighter parts.

If I buy grips, they are usually stag.
D1721F04-BA4B-4535-ADCB-28DFCAA59684.jpeg
9FE2F384-5A04-4BC8-BA30-40CAFAB42CCC.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
The bone is left white with the bark a dark brown. The aged grips look as if they were soaked/dunked in coffee.

Bob Wright
The probably were. I've looked for a pair of ebony for my SS Blackhawk. What is see is either some other wood being sold as ebony or very poor quality. It's sad when one is willing to pay for something and no one will make it because "no one" will pay for it.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The probably were. I've looked for a pair of ebony for my SS Blackhawk. What is see is either some other wood being sold as ebony or very poor quality. It's sad when one is willing to pay for something and no one will make it because "no one" will pay for it.
As to ebony, there are two main types of ebony, gaboon ebony and macassar ebony. I think gaboon ebony is the coal black kind, which I got from Lett many years ago. The other is a rich brown with near black streaks.

I think CaryC knows, and maybe a source for the woods. Ol' Cary was right smart in that department.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The ones I saw, long time back, looked as if they had been grooved with a carving tool then the grooves stained with ordinary wood stain, the grooves had a dull look compared to the polished bone. Close to the old Franzite grips.

Bob Wright

eveled

Hunter
My point was when they stain the grooves it is probably a lot easier to stain the whole grip then wipe off the high spots. Giving the aged appearance. As opposed to accurately painting just the grooves.

As far as Ebony goes. At least as far as Buck knives go. The old ones were Macassar very dark no streaks.

The new ones are Gaboon, lighter with streaks.

I’m not sure it is really a difference in the species or a difference in ethics/preference.

When Macassar ebony was being used the streaky wood was discarded.

Now with Gaboon ebony the streaky wood is used because people find it attractive now and to minimize waste.

Both types are very stable oily woods that don’t need to be sealed or finished.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Try Patrick Grashorn (aka Executioner) for elk horn grips. He has done several/numerous grips for me. A little brown paste shoe polish will darken them (Trick learned from my taxidermist!)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Try Patrick Grashorn (aka Executioner) for elk horn grips. He has done several/numerous grips for me. A little brown paste shoe polish will darken them (Trick learned from my taxidermist!)
I have several pairs of his grips, but what I'm wanting now is jigged bone, not stag. I'm sort of trying to duplicate the grips shown in the closing scene of Gunsmoke.

Bob Wright

gunzo

Buckeye
Well... Matts pistol wasn't a Colt, well known in the pistolero community, as it was a Great Western.

Has it been confirmed his grips were real jigged bone? Or imitation like the revolver?

Thinking Taffin could answer this with accuracy.