Things not made anymore that you miss

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Agreed to both. I lucked into some Vallejo paints a few weeks ago at $2.00 a bottle, and considered myself lucky to get them at that price. My local hobby shop had a deal with a supplier.

Floquil was the gold standard of model railroad paints, but that's been long gone for years now. As for $10 bricks of .22s? These days I consider myself lucky if I can find the 100-round sleeves of CCI Mini-Mags or Winchester Power Points for that. (Both those rounds are what my Ruger MK III and my Henry Lever Octagon Frontier like best.)
I've never used Vallejo paints, but I hear very good things about them. I was a Testor Model Master man, and will be until the day I use the last of my dozens of bottles still on hand.

When I heard that Floquil was going TU, I raided my local model railroad shop for all the Old Silver, Platinum Mist, and Flat White I could afford. No known white covers better than the Floquil. This was a decade or more ago. I haven't used any of my stash--I hope it's still good.

A cell phone is like a gun. Better to have one and not need it than to not have one when you do need it.

That is one I do agree with along with your comment before it. Car breaks down the cell phone is handy and a good idea. Decades ago before cell phones really became a big thing if you needed help, breakdown or otherwise it wasn't uncommon to knock on someone's door asking to use their phone(landline) for assistance or ask if they might do it for you. Considering how many now only have cell phones and it being the norm try the knock on a door asking for help and the person living at the house may likely not believe that anybody now doesn't have a cell phone and they are being set up as a target and possibly another person or more waiting nearby. One of the reason the trackphone flip phone goes everywhere with me.

RSIno1

Hunter
It's gotta be McDonalds fries in the old grease. Or maybe Twinkies before they went bankrupt. Too bad the new company only bought the name and not the recipe.
In a few years we'll all be missing the open road since our .gov mandated electric commuter pod won't get us further than our assigned work location.

vito

Hunter
Lots of comments about cell phones, and I don't mean to steal the thread, but...... Back in the mid-90's I took a job as the Administrator of a very large county owned nursing home. As part of the job I was offered a cell phone, which most called a "bag" car phone since the battery that operated this phone was about the size of a shoe box, and it used a magnetic antenna that you put on the roof of your car. At first I said that I couldn't see a reason for having a phone in my car, but the County Board chairman asked me to accept one so that he could reach me in an emergency. Not a week later my car slid off the road into a deep snowbank. I was dressed in a nice suit, with good shoes on, and would have had to crawl out through the car window just to get out and begin digging the car out. Then I remembered that phone and called a local garage out in that rural area where I was. Five minutes later the tow truck showed up, the employee crawled under my car to hook up the cable to the car's axle, and a few seconds later I was back on the road. I never even had to get out of the car and get wet or cold. From that day on I never doubted the value of having a portable phone. Now I carry a smartphone, a $1,000 mini computer that lets me access the entire world and just about all the information known to mankind. I wouldn't be without it.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
They started dying around, what, 1968-69?
Hi,

My '88 Toyota Pickup has 'em. That was about the end of the run according to local Toyota guys.

They were still going strong on VW Bugs until '69-'70. I had a '69. G/f had a '70. I think my sister's '73 super Beetle had 'em. AFAIK VW kept them until 'the water cooled models came out ('75?) Didn't really pay attention to other mfrs.

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
30 years ago I had a pair of leather work gloves. Similar to Wells Lamont, no idea who actually made them.

They had the cinch strap with the red plastic ball.

Hi,

If you're looking for what I think you are, check Amazon: Wells Lamont still makes the ones I remember. About $17.

Rick C

eveled

Hunter
Hi,

If you're looking for what I think you are, check Amazon: Wells Lamont still makes the ones I remember. About $17.

Rick C
Thanks for that.

They are all thinsulate now. Not the cotton thermal underwear material I remember.

They were warm, but didn’t make my hands sweat.

The Wells Lamont uninsulated gloves are the closest I’ve found. Great gloves, and American made too.

Latest posts