Things not made anymore that you miss

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
The Coco-Cola they had before "New Coke" that was different than what they said was the original when Coke Classic came out and New Coke that tasted like Pepsi was discontinued.

Street Races with no imports.

Auto Techs not needing $50K in their own tools.

Rear window gun racks.

The Dukes of Hazzard.

RE wing windows: 1968 was indeed the start of their death with GM's introduction of Astro Ventilation on the Camaro. Chevelle, etc. got it in 1969. Pick ups kept the wing windows all the way to 1987.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Honda Nighthawk 750. A true universal Japanese motorcycle (UJM). Simple, reliable, fast enough for most purposes and looked like what a motorcycle is supposed to look like.
I still have one. I haven't ridden it in maybe 4 years. Needs work though.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Things not made anymore that you miss...

The hair on my head.
Roosevelt Democrats.
Pay phones.
Typewriters.
Carburetors.
Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and Queen Elizabeth II.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
PEOPLE with common sense.
Real American made quality Buck knives.
Craftsman tools.
QUALITY vacuum bottles, Aladdin and Thermos made in Nashville.
Refrigerators, washers, driers, dishwashers THAT ACTUALLY DID THE JOB YOU BUY THEM FOR and lasted 25 - 30 years.
Flush toilets! NO ONE buys a toilet to SAVE WATER! You buy a toilet to FLUSH ****. If you want to save water dig a pit toilet.
High school educations that are actually worth 12 years of effort.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
If the Ruger #1 is the .22 semi target pistol, better off gone. Ruger made some of my favorite guns, which is why I am here, but this AND it's successors- including the current model- Were not their best work.

Ruger #1 is a single shot, falling block rifle.
Ruger-No.1-main-1974221205.jpeg

eveled

Hunter
PEOPLE with common sense.
Real American made quality Buck knives.
Craftsman tools.
QUALITY vacuum bottles, Aladdin and Thermos made in Nashville.
Refrigerators, washers, driers, dishwashers THAT ACTUALLY DID THE JOB YOU BUY THEM FOR and lasted 25 - 30 years.
Flush toilets! NO ONE buys a toilet to SAVE WATER! You buy a toilet to FLUSH ****. If you want to save water dig a pit toilet.
High school educations that are actually worth 12 years of effort.
Buck still makes a lot of high quality knives in Idaho. They have some cheap import knives too.

As far as washers and dryers go. Speed Queen is still around.

caryc

Hawkeye
If there were pay phones as there once was I would not feel the need to carry this flip phone in my pocket
I was happy when I got my first cell phone. I used to carry it in my car just for breakdown emergencies. I had my first breakdown emergency at the post office. As I'm sitting in my car what do I see right in front of me. You guessed it, a phone booth. Oh well.

RC44Mag

Bearcat
My first street bike was a CB360 then moved to a CB500 to a CB 750K to a CB1100F then switched sides to HD. Good times growing up with Honda bikes.

thread got me thinking about foods and first thing that came to mind are Sunshine Lemon Cooler cookies.

Last edited:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
$10 bricks of .22LR ammo.

As a model builder, there are dozens of paints I used for decades that simply aren't available anymore.
Agreed to both. I lucked into some Vallejo paints a few weeks ago at $2.00 a bottle, and considered myself lucky to get them at that price. My local hobby shop had a deal with a supplier.

Floquil was the gold standard of model railroad paints, but that's been long gone for years now. As for $10 bricks of .22s? These days I consider myself lucky if I can find the 100-round sleeves of CCI Mini-Mags or Winchester Power Points for that. (Both those rounds are what my Ruger MK III and my Henry Lever Octagon Frontier like best.)

One thing I miss from my childhood is Betty Crocker's Noodles Romanoff, a nice cheesy pasta. Might have been my favorite side dish as a kid, or at least my favorite side dish that didn't start out as a potato. It seemed to just disappear from the store shelves sometime in the 1980s.