Things not made anymore that you miss

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hunter
Thats not snarky. Just pointing out that they are not actually made the same anymore.

@rigger wanted ones that you can actually strike anywhere. The “strike anywhere” matches made today don’t actually strike anywhere.

No matter what the box says what @rigger wanted sadly are no longer made today.

Last edited:

mistermills357

Blackhawk
You can still get those. I bought a gross of them a couple years ago under threat of extinction.

Also, some of y'all need to learn how to multi-quote ...
You can still get those. I bought a gross of them a couple years ago under threat of extinction.

Also, some of y'all need to learn how to multi-quote ... geeze.
You Be You.

I have a 3rd Gen, and it’s a tank.

They are part of Marathon Oil I think. And I think that Speedway joined up with Ashland Oil, before they were swallowed up by Marathon.

And Marathon is still not nationwide, I don’t think. But it’s pretty commmon in the East.🤓😎🤨

They were another East Coast brand. I have seen the Hess brand here in the St. Petersburg area, but it’s been a while. Another victim of Marathon.

But, I am being redundant.

Yes, they still make them, but 3 pounds of them, are priced at $22 on Amazon. That’s pretty expensive.
View attachment 8538

Also, some of y'all need to learn how to multi-quote ... geeze.
Hey! I can use multi quote.🥸 I just choose not to, or I forget to.

Elfego Baca

Bearcat
They still make those. I bought these at a Stater Brothers Super Market.

pzBPN08.jpg
Since Diamond changed color the quality and reliability are next to none!

caryc

Hawkeye
Thats not snarky. Just pointing out that they are not actually made the same anymore.

@rigger wanted ones that you can actually strike anywhere. The “strike anywhere” matches made today don’t actually strike anywhere.

No matter what the box says what @rigger wanted sadly are no longer made today.
I bought a couple boxes of them just to have on hand. I haven't really tried striking a lot of them. Back when you could get the good strike anywhere matches, when I was a kid, we used to make match shooters.
You would take an empty large sewing thread spool and place a wide rubber band across it so one side was right over one hole and offset it so it didn't cover the other hole. Then you would take a bunch of rubber bands and secure that (trigger) rubber band on the spool. One would stick a match stick through the hole and pull it back with the trigger, aim and let go. The matches would mostly light off when you hit something solid. File this one under "Neat things to do when you're a kid". But don't tell your parents.

eveled

Hunter
Sounds like fun. We used to shoot cardboard matches at each other. It was great fun unless the staple in the book opened a little and tore a gash in your finger.

KIR

Blackhawk
Remember SInclair gas stations with the dino ad?
There are still several in Sparks/Reno area with a green Dino in front of the building. The big ones are for sale at $1100. Several years ago, Home Depot was selling T-Rex's for $300 to go on one's front lawn.

...and Diamond wooden matches are still available at Target, Walmart and Amazon....

hittman

Staff member
I see sugar cubes for sale here at places like Hy Vee and Dollar General.
For me, those matches ain’t what they used to be because the wood seems so cheap it breaks trying to strike on anything but the box.

Neighbor kid was flying a kite last weekend. I was surprised to see how flimsy the string was ….. could not have been any thicker than light fishing line. When I was a kid I think the string was good old cotton (??) that musta been 3 or 4 times bigger than this new stuff.