These are a few of my (new) favorite things...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Here is my solution thus far to solving my new roll as caretaker of this collection:

Display-Case.jpg

The badges and paper items are not yet integrated and may need to find a place of their own.

Seeing it all at once, I forgot to mention the three "Whopper Stopper" fishing lures in the pale blue plastic boxes, a Mini-14 20 round mag, a Bank of Boston knife, a tie tack in the form of a pair of handcuffs, a red book of matches from a CT restaurant, a 1 oz silver bar commemorating the 25th anniversary 1956-1981 of an Illinois gun shop, a Ruger DJeep butane lighter, a couple other pins, a single sling swivel in sealed plastic bag, a couple of cloth pouches, maybe a few other items.

weaselmeatgravy said:
Got my mitts on some of Bill Ruger's personal effects removed from his desk in Southport.

First coolest item is a lighter. Jack Knode was one of WBR's pals and the Chief Engineer at Savage. This lighter may have been the inspiration for Ruger's similar offering as seen in my avatar, or Jack may have been inspired to create his own after receiving one of Ruger's. This lighter is pictured in the collage on page 20 of Ruger and His Guns.

Robbed-from-Jack-Knode.jpg

Great score of many unique items. Nice to see them up close. On a side note, I believe Jack Knode was the subscription holder of the #7 guns too. I know the Hawkeye and BKH3 came from his estated and I was told the other guns were sold earlier - all #7. Chet might have this in his notes or can correct me if I have the story wrong. Anyway really cool items.

contender

Ruger Guru
I looked at all 3 lots,, but the one with the patch was what caught my eye. I'd love to have it for my collection,, but oh well, you can never get them all,,!
You did good my friend.

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
weaselmeatgravy said:
Thanks for the info on the stock, I thought the date seemed weird as I remember owning some in the late 1980's for a brief period, when it was around $40 per share but I wasn't sure whether that was really in the 80's or if it might have been the early 90's. I know it was sometime around there because I remember reading something about the stock out on a lounge chair at my old house (lived there '87 to '92) and falling asleep and waking up with a wicked sunburn :oops:

Also, my apologies for taking the pic of the "hood ornament" from the back side of the bird - don't know if anyone noticed that he's facing the wrong direction!

I took a few more pictures tonight:

Some brass belt buckles, I don't know the significance of these:

Brass-Buckles.jpg

The center of the belt buckles appear to have an old fashioned key hole

Mike

chet15

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy said:
contender: This was actually three separate lots. The bullion patch is cool for sure but it might be something that was made in quantities > 1 so keep looking!

The bullion patch would have been something used by Ruger representatives including Bill at any of the various trade shows, probably at least during 1979. I'd have to do some digging for that one Ruger Newsletter with Bill holding his new Redhawk at NRA that year to see if he's got one of those on.
Chet15

Sugar River

Buckeye
weaselmeatgravy said:
Thanks for the info on the stock,

No problem, I owned SR stock as early as '85, but don't know when they first went public.

The shot measure is cool. Made from a cartridge case?

Pete

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Sugar River said:

No, that is an old standard design for those adjustable measures. I have a number of them that I picked up somewhere along the way and I use them to prop up guns when I'm taking pics of the topstraps or rear sights. If it was a cartridge case, it would have to be about .75 cal :D

Here are a couple of the others I have along with WBR's. His has no patent date but one of mine says "PAT NOV 23 86" and the other says "PAT. FEB. 25 1890". All three are graduated in ounces of shot on one scale and drams of powder on the other. Both of mine are "B.G.I. CO." but WBR's is marked with a name that has worn off (might be U.H. CO.") but you can still read "TORRINGTON CONN." below the name.

Shot-Measure_Black-one-WBRs.jpg

Shot-Measure-WBRs-Close.jpg

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
weaselmeatgravy said:
Sugar River said:

No, that is an old standard design for those adjustable measures. I have a number of them that I picked up somewhere along the way and I use them to prop up guns when I'm taking pics of the topstraps or rear sights. If it was a cartridge case, it would have to be about .75 cal :D

Here are a couple of the others I have along with WBR's. His has no patent date but one of mine says "PAT NOV 23 86" and the other says "PAT. FEB. 25 1890". All three are graduated in ounces of shot on one scale and drams of powder on the other. Both of mine are "B.G.I. CO." but WBR's is marked with a name that has worn off (might be U.H. CO.") but you can still read "TORRINGTON CONN." below the name.

Shot-Measure_Black-one-WBRs.jpg

Shot-Measure-WBRs-Close.jpg

Check this site about halfway down on left for your U. H. Co. Powder Measure
from Torrington, Conn.

http://wyeriverantiques.tripod.com/id22.htm