There is a video where the author claims that a wood stock Mini-14 is more accurate than synthetic.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikezohsix

Bearcat
I am in the process of deciding on which Mini-14 flavor to buy. I am settled on a Ranch, for barrel length primarily. I can't have mags greater than 10 round iin my state, so that limits me to a choice offering 5 round mags.
I have zeroed in on a synthetic stock with stainless works. I chose synthetic after reading about grip issues with wood stocks. I also feel the synthetic would be more durable and not show wear as readily.
My shooting budy sent me a video where the guy "demonstrates" looser groups with the synthetic stock. His conclusion is it is less stiff.
Does anyone have experience that aligns or disagrees with this? I'm sure there are plenty of opinions which I'd also like to hear.

jban357

Bearcat
That's interesting, but I may lean towards the bedding on the synthetic being a little sloppier. That is just an observation of a sample of one, that I used to own. The receiver area was not that great of a fit. The gun was a 2 1/2" grouping (three shot) with one load that I found, but not the bullet I wanted to use.

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

It's likely you can find videos and other "testimony" both for and against one stock over the other. There's just so many factors to consider. Like, were both guns made in the same time period? There have been changes and improvements.

Not sure what your goal is but if you're looking for a tack-driver range gun, the Mini 14 is not for you. If you're hog or whitetail or coyote hunting sub-100 yards, you're probably good to go.

My old Mini 14 is a ton of fun plinking at the range. If I'm looking to place precision shots, it's the Weatherby MK5 or Remington 700.

Results might depend on the particular rifle and stock used, as well as the ammunition you have available. Years ago, I built a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22, and initially used a laminated wood stock. I tried about 20 different types of .22 ammo, to see what the rifle 'liked' best. With that stock, the rifle shot tiny groups with CCI Green Tag target ammo. I later came across a nice used Bell & Carlson synthetic stock, and swapped to that in order to save some weight. With the synthetic stock, the rifle didn't do so well with Green Tag - but it shot tiny groups with Winchester T-22 ammo (which was nice, because it was cheaper than Green Tag).

Obviously IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

wv.citybilly

Bearcat

The wood stock doesn't have ribs in it that the forearm guard sits on. This can be relevant if you plan to mount bi-pods for bench-rest and target practice. Two synthetic stocks (off the top of my head) that do have ribs are Ruger and Hogue, and though you might still have to dremel, it would be beneath the forearm guard.

I think the Ruger synthetic stock is garbage. Yeah, I know, there goes my endorsement :/ but you can paint a synthetic stock, and if you don't like it, paint over it, or strip it off. As for the snug fit (which is what I think you're talking about), that is a problem to address regardless of wood or synthetic. One work around to bedding the rifle (which would reduce group size and delimit flyers), is shimming the receiver. Credit where it's due, I thought this was a great idea, and used lead shims in mine.

I like the wood stock(s), they're pretty. Some have made the wood stocks work with a bi-pod, but I don't know how they did it.

As for naysayers, you'd have to be incredibly lucky to have a Mini-14 that's a tack driver out of the box, but if you're prepared to put some work into it, it can be a very rewarding rifle. I shoot mine at 1/4 mile.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
I have many Ruger rifles and most are tack drivers with the right ammo handloaded for each one. If I were looking for a rifle in 223 to be a ack driver I would not go with the mini 14. My best shooting 223 rifles are a Remington LTR and a Savage Weather Warrior with a 1 in 8 twist barrel. They come from the factory shooting lights out right out of the box. I hope I don't get in trouble for my comments seeing this is a Ruger Forum but I try to keep things honest when making a statement.

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
I have owned 3 different Mini-14's the last 45 years. Bought one every 10-15 years thinking the next model would shoot better. Best group I ever shot was a 9 inch group at 100 yards with a nice 3-9x40 scope. I am afraid you would be very unhappy with the accuracy. MD

Gray

Bearcat
I have a Mini 583/300 blk. Switching to a new factory birch stock, I cut my groups in half while shooting off a bench at 100 yards. I also like the higher comb and the change in balance. The synthetic stock was too pliable in 100° heat. Also too front heavy. Credit card shims helped some but still not comparable to a tight fitting birch stock. I may find a Boyds stock with some checkering one day but trying Grip tape for now.

mikezohsix

Bearcat
Thanks so much for the info and thanks for the welcome to the forum.
Guess I have some more reading to do about bedding. If there's one thing that the internet is good for it's getting a bunch of info quickly.
It's not like it's my life savings, but a grand or so for a fun gun warrants making an informed decision. I'm not looking for a tack driver, don't foresee loading my own, but when shooting with my friends, competition is always there.
Just trying to keep it tight!

40nascar

Banned
After owning several mini 14's over the last 40 years I have come to this conclusion when it comes to accuracy. Generally the stainless steel mini's are less accurate. The point of impact moves around more after the barrel warms up after a few rounds. The Stock material seems to be less of a factor. Other things that help:

Reduced diameter gas port bushing -1) less gas means that there is less harmonics from the metal to metal slamming of the action parts. 2) 1911 style bushing on the receiver side of the op-rod spring further cushions, and reduces slamming on the reciever. An Ultimak or Amega rail installed in place of the handguard acts as a heating, and reduces barrel harmonics. They also make it easy to install a dot-type sight.

Best wishes on your according efforts.

On any given day, with a sufficient number of rifles to select my specimens, I can prove or disprove these comments. Anyone basing a prediction of better/worse accuracy performance on specific rifles can/will be easily disproven.
I think the later production mini's were more accurate than earlier production but based on the early model I had, that's not saying a whole lot.

krw

Blackhawk
Sounds like your wanting an automatic. Don't get a Mini14 and beat your head against the wall trying to make it shoot accurately. Just buy a decent AR

Latest posts